• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

Good grief. I go to bed tired and fed up and miss the only interesting quarter?!

I'll catch it up laters.

Whew, not sure what to think right now, still too pissed to remember specifics.

Generally, Kirk looked off target, short on the long balls, just behind a lot of the other ones and more damn picks.
Much more pressure in the pocket this game, the line is a little more fragile than we suspected after the Rams game.
Had to be frustrating, making a decent throw only to have a penalty bring it back allowing the G's to bring-it next play.

Big difference comparing him to Eli who, in this game at least, was composed and sharp.

I guess it's going to be a week to week thing...... Good Cousins, Bad Cousins. Last night we got last years version of Cousins.....

When you combine poor game plans, with poor execution, you get another NY "How does that even happen" kind of game.

Pick, aka, Kirk, in this game, was a reflection of his head coach.

An unprepared, unable, underachiever.

Not ready for prime time.

Gonna be a long 10 days.

Whew, not sure what to think right now, still too pissed to remember specifics.

Generally, Kirk looked off target, short on the long balls, just behind a lot of the other ones and more damn picks.
Much more pressure in the pocket this game, the line is a little more fragile than we suspected after the Rams game.
Had to be frustrating, making a decent throw only to have a penalty bring it back allowing the G's to bring-it next play.

Big difference comparing him to Eli who, in this game at least, was composed and sharp.

It was not a good game. Really deflating.

You can blame me. I jinxed it yesterday when I said about the O-Line being young and was waiting for another Detroit Pre-Season affair. It wasn't that bad but we just looked ordinary. Maybe the short week took a toll? Who knows. I tuned out of the game after the fumble through the EndZone. At that point I knew it was cut and dried. If that had been a Jones touchdown and we hadn't have given up that safety at the start... things could have been different.
Take 2 off them and put 7 on us and it's a 30-28 ball game.
But coulda, shoulda, woulda. We didn't deserve to win last night TBH.

Anyway the thread is supposed to be about Kirk...

He was unsteady I thought. Just didn't look as sharp as last week. I think some of that was the O-line not being as solid, and the early safety that threw a spanner in the works early. The whole team just looked off kilter.
Even the Defense which i thought kept us in it for a while when it could easily have been a run away score at the start. Just looked like a different team to last week, which looked confident and energetic.
And when the team is like that the QB really needs to be the focal point and lift the team up. Kirk doesn't seem able to do that as yet.

Can he be a QB that sparks the team long term? Who knows. I'm still willing to let him play through he season and see if we get growth. I wasn't expecting playoffs this year anyway, just got my hopes up a bit after last weeks great performance and the disaster the rest of the East seemed.

I still think we're better than we were 12 months ago and still think we're heading in the right direction. It's just hard not to get your hopes up too high. Especially as the Skins have been in the gutter for such a long time.

Last edited:
D grade.

Throws were behind receivers, both interceptions were avoidable, and way too many missed opportunities. The only reason it's a 'D' and not an 'F' is because he didn't seemingly fall apart. Even in garbage time he wasn't making stupid throws, amassing more interceptions. It was a bad game, but in a rebuilding situation with a young team, and an inexperienced QB it's gonna happen. He's not a finished product... imho.

A big step back this week. It's not going to take film review to assess this week. With time to throw most of the night, Kirk was inaccurate, late with the ball, and had that deer-in-the-headlights look early that he never really overcame.

What could have been a huge night for him (and Jordan Reed), instead sends us into a long week of waiting to see how he reacts against Philly a week from Sunday. It will be the biggest game of his young career, and he has plenty of time to think about it.

If he bounces back, we'll be able to look at last night in context of the standard, team-wide swoon the Redskins make every time go to the bright lights of New York. If he doesn't, and instead turns the ball over again, and misses open people repeatedly in key situations ... well, let's not borrow trouble.

Week Three

32-21 road loss to New York Giants

30 of 49 (61%), 316 yds (6.44 ypa), 1 TD 2 INT, 1 sack (11 yds), QB rating 69.8

Season:

74 for 107 (69.2%), 715 yds (6.68 ypa), 3 TD 4 INT, 4 sacks (31 yds), QB rating 81.3

If you find footwork film review, let me know and I'll post in up. :)

As to "what we all know" ... I half agree.

His arm is strong enough for the NFL. Not a great arm, but adequate.

It's his timing and judgment and accuracy that are still very much in doubt, because they are the cause of the INT's.

So far, he's the second coming of Rex, with a weaker arm. He has a great game where he makes all the throws look easy, followed by a head-scratcher that makes you question why he is employed.

He can turn it around, but it's really up to him.

I get that some of you have made up your minds on Kirk.

Some of us haven't, me included.

Might I, if I don't see more of last week and less of last night from him over the next few games?

Yep.

Disagree on arm strength - but great minds don't always have to think alike!

I think we have a roster filled with very capable backup QBs. not one of these guys is a long-term answer.

I also think we don't have the right HC. but that's a discussion for another time.

last night was HUUUUUUGELY frustrating.

I'm actually surprised how many people focus on his arm strength. No one will ever confuse his arm with Elway or Rodgers or Marino or (fill in your favorite gunner here), but no one ever accused Montana or Plunkett or Kosar or (fill in your favorite normal human here) of throwing the ball through brick walls either.

When Kirk actually cuts it loose, his arm is more than adequate. It's when he pulls the string, trying to aim the thing instead of throwing with conviction, that bad things happen.

Yeah, I agree with Om here. His arm strength is adequate for the NFL. It's what's in between his ears that is the problem.

because it is a constraint on the situations in which he can perform to what is needed. and....the comparison only makes sense if Kirk has the compensating attributes those other, limited in numbers, QBs were endowed with that made them successful.

is a rifle arm a necessary condition for success? no. better stock up on the other attributes if one is not so blessed, however. not trying to be nit-PICKy here.

I just wish we had a QB who could find open WR's, which we seem to have in good supply. That shouldn't be too much to ask, is it?

Nick

I just wish we had a QB who could find open WR's, which we seem to have in good supply. That shouldn't be too much to ask, is it?

Nick

A battle a lot of teams are facing, great QBs are very hard to come by. He found the open guys... just missed his mark.

Kirk was a beat slow on his releases throughout the game. I don't know if that was due to recognition or timidity. Either way receivers were open until he waited and then threw them into being covered. The potential td pass to Reed was not only under thrown but late.

If only Reed had not made that pick penalty on the first play from scrimmage yesterday, the whole dynamic of the game would have been different.

Reed doesn't make that penalty...

Kirk isn't placed in a 1st and 20...

We have the ball on the VaGiants 48...

Kirk's confidence is not shattered...

We go on to win 31-17.

Wow! That sounds eerily familiar.

***sarcasm alert***

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.