• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

It's the decision leading to the pass. If he throws a deep go and it's picked, I have no issues with that. I want to see him lose the propensity to make that critical bad decision that leads to a pick. Not being overly critical. He did play an excellent game. As games go by we can be less critical of every snap. But he's earned his rep, now he has to earn a reprieve. As much as I support his starting and see a lot of promise, I'm still gun shy. :) But what a freaking win. :)

Geez guys, does he have to cure cancer while on the field to get major kudos. Save the one pass he was damn near perfect today :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirk completion percentage 85.2%. Highest for a Redskins QB since Mark Brunell week3 2006.

Geez guys, does he have to cure cancer while on the field to get major kudos. Save the one pass he was damn near perfect today :)

Look, Cousins did good. I don't want to bash the guy after a solid win in which he played well, but he's not really being asked to do much. He threw for 200 yards. It was a GOOD 200 yards, and he made some really nice throws when he had to, but we won this game on the ground and on defense. That's how it's going to have to be for awhile I think.

Somewhere, lost in all the back-and-forths about Cousins I think I said he'd be a fine QB if he had a great team around him. Everyone around him played great today, and he was fine. If everyone, including Cousins, continues to play this well all season you won't hear any complaints from me.

Look, Cousins did good. I don't want to bash the guy after a solid win in which he played well, but he's not really being asked to do much. He threw for 200 yards. It was a GOOD 200 yards, and he made some really nice throws when he had to, but we won this game on the ground and on defense. That's how it's going to have to be for awhile I think.

Isn't that how it's supposed to be anyway?

Much, much better game for Kirk. The coaches are protecting him well. Not to mention the Oline. You know, the one that was supposed to be eaten alive the past two weeks. The int that wasn't, keeps me from giving him an A+, so a B+ will have to do.

Much, much better game for Kirk. The coaches are protecting him well. Not to mention the Oline. You know, the one that was supposed to be eaten alive the past two weeks. The int that wasn't, keeps me from giving him an A+, so a B+ will have to do.

Yeah well...you get a D- for not being at the Tailgate!

Kirk played well... I don't think it's really important to dwell on the negative in this case, especially since it didn't come back to bite us. I wouldn't have given RGIII problems for that, and I won't give it to Kirk. I will say, I think any of the 3 QBs on the team would've played well in this particular game with this game plan. However, Kirk is playing at a higher level than I expected right now.

the one the team never provided for RGIII including against Detroit.

but...water under the coaching bridge!

So, here is my thing. He had a great game managing the pass because our run game was so good. What is going to happen when the defense we play decide to key in on the run?

To me, that is when we will see if Kirk steps up or crumbles.

Yep, definitely a fair question. So far, I have to think we have taken what the D has given us and just pounded away. How much does that change when the D loads up the box? Any QB at the NFL level should be able to identify single coverage on the outside and go there; hell, in that regard, Kirk is ahead of where Robert was when we saw him last - the only question I have is can Kirk make those throws?

It's going to be a while before our OLine faces two DLines like Miami and St Louis, especially back to back. Those Lines are legit and we pretty much handled them. I think against weaker defenses we will be able to control the pocket even more and give Kirk space to throw. I'll be interested to see if he makes the correct read, then the correct decision, then makes a good throw.

I'm not trying to put a downer on anything here, but in checking Kirk's game records I noticed that of the 21 times he has been intercepted 6 were by the Giants-more than any other team. The INT percentage against the Giants is 7.3%-6 INTs in 82 pass attempts in the two games he played against them.

So, here is my thing. He had a great game managing the pass because our run game was so good. What is going to happen when the defense we play decide to key in on the run?

To me, that is when we will see if Kirk steps up or crumbles.

Football 1 0 1. Play action pass will kill them if they stack the box. Bring it on, we are just waiting for it, licking our chops.

Somewhere, lost in all the back-and-forths about Cousins I think I said he'd be a fine QB if he had a great team around him. Everyone around him played great today, and he was fine. If everyone, including Cousins, continues to play this well all season you won't hear any complaints from me.

Yesterdays game plan was basically what Shanny did with Robert in his first game against NOLA. Lots of high percentage passes, and a strong running game to get him comfortable.

Updated the OP with this week's numbers ... will add film breakdowns as they come out.

I commented to Boone at the post-game festivities that Kirk's performance yesterday reminded me of Theismann. Under control, mentally sharp, mobile. He doesn't quite have the arm that Joey T did, but you'd never know it watching real-time replays of the rifle-shot to Reed on the final scoring drive.

Week Two

24-10 home win over St. Louis Rams.

23 for 27 (85%), 203 yds (7.52 ypa), 1 TD 0 INT, 2 sacks (12 yds), QB rating 110.3

Season:

44 for 58 (75.9%), 399 yds (6.9 ypa), 2 TD 2 INT, 3 sacks (20 yds), QB rating 91.1

Not too awful for an 11th career start.

Chipping in with my tuppenth worth.

I'd give Capt Kirk a solid B+

It's been evident since day 1 of training camp (and before) that the team wants to put emphasis on strong O-Line play and the running game. I think when you looked at all three quarterbacks that it was a good choice. I mean RGIII had 2012 and it's hard to forget that year, McCoy had the Dallas game and Kirk showed flashes of being a really competent QB. But each had their issues, none looked like a solid star anymore for whatever reason. Watching what was going on around the league especially in our own division with Dallas it was clear we needed to go back to fundamental basics and build from the inside out. I like this direction I really do.

I always felt a little like Kirk just needed confidence. To know that the job was his and that there was no one looking over his shoulder. Last year I felt that all three QB's suffered from that. Gruden changed QB's like the weather and I never really got it. I always viewed last season as a rebuild, I was expecting only a few wins and I just thought that they should have settled on one QB and backed him to the hilt. I know there were injuries and things that derailed it a bit, but I always just felt that Gruden would change the QB at the drop of a hat if he thought one gave a better chance of winning. I felt it must be hard for any of the three to really get comfortable and grow in the role when they were all treated like that.

I like that Gruden has apparently committed to Cousins. I think it shows in Cousins growth.

Game 1 against the Dolphins he showed some really good stuff, but then there was the interception and then the third quarter meltdown. Kinda felt to me like the team started to panic and that they were in their own heads a bit like "Uh Oh here we go again! WE gotta stop the inevitable collapse!" The team started to look just unbalanced, penalties crept in, Tress Way punted that horrendously short hangtime punt because he was "Trying to flip the field". I just felt like if they had stayed calm and just gone about their business then we would have won that game.

Some of that is on the shoulders of Gruden, but I think some was on Cousins too. I feel like maybe he felt a little "Uh Oh, if I can't get this team going I'm gonna get yanked!!!" Maybe not that game, but in the future.

This week the man looked way way more composed. Like he was finally starting to think...."You know this is now my job... I think I'm safe here!"
Even when we had our third quarter wobble he just still looked composed and played through it. I was sitting at home having kittens thinking "Oh God here comes the collapse again!", but Kirk just went about his business, didn't seem to push things or try to make plays when they weren't there, seemed safe in the knowledge that a) The defense will stop the Rams and b) if we just do what we're doing we'll score again and everything will be good.

And we did. And it was.

I think the whole team now feels a little more confident. It's a good place to build from.

so anyhow.... Roundabout way of saying...

Kirk didn't set the word on fire with 400 plus yards and multiple touchdowns like he did against the Eagles a year ago. But I thought this was a really mature showing from him. Did what he had to do.
And in my head I can still see the fact that last year he DID go off against the Eagles for 427 yards and 3 TD's. Now if he can combine that output with Sundays composure and nail this long term...

Feeling pretty positive.

And even if he laid an egg in NY this week I just want to see him get a full season of starts and the backing of Gruden to REALLY let him settle in. With our O-Line and running game being the focal point of our offense, he doesn't need to be a superstar, just a good QB and I think he could be.

This week gave me a good feeling about that position for the first time since 2012.

(For the record... I'm a big RGIII fan and would have loved to see him get an extended period of time behind this line. Saying that though I really hope they DO NOT chop and change QB's all over again.)

Sorry.... feel I went on a bit there.... :)

Nice post, K.

Without revisiting all the history from last year (or getting sidetracked on Gruden), I think the biggest thing to come out of the Rams game for me was that last scoring drive.

The biggest knocks on Kirk have been the INT's and that he came up small in crunch time. For one game, anyway, the INT's went away (yes, they dropped one--I suspect that happened for more than one QB on Sunday), and, more importantly, when the game was on the line in the 4th quarter, and the momentum was very much in doubt, he coolly directed a game-clinching TD drive in which he not only "managed" things, but threw as pretty a 3rd down conversion (Reed) as could be thrown.

The man didn't look like a guy in his 11th start--he looked like a composed vet. That wasn't lost on me, and I suspect it wasn't lost on his teammates and coaches either.

As building blocks go, depending on how this all plays out down the road, we may look back on last Sunday as a cornerstone.

The man didn't look like a guy in his 11th start--he looked like a composed vet. That wasn't lost on me, and I suspect it wasn't lost on his teammates and coaches either.

As building blocks go, depending on how this all plays out down the road, we may look back on last Sunday as a cornerstone.

In my long winded way..... that's what I was trying to say LOL :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.