• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

I am not down at all.

I think the Redskins will contend for a playoff spot at 9-7 or 10-6 and may be in good position with the defensive suspensions and free agent losses the Cowboys have suffered since the end of the 2016 season.

Cousins is going to have a statistically good season and I think he will beat the teams he is expected to beat.

Where it becomes dicey is thinking about him elevating his game to win a road game at Dallas or against one or two of the other 2016 playoff teams.

In 2018, I see a team that is able to get some additional key players to put into the mix.

We draft a young qb in a draft with some qb depth and move on :)

With some good decision-making this team could be where the Steelers were in 2003, with a solid club just before they drafted Ben Roethlisberger and became a true contender.
It won't be dicey because of Kirk. He did more than enough to win that game in Dallas last year.

What makes it dicey is not knowing if the changes on defense makes it better than last year. When you're historically bad on 3rd down defense, it's hard to win unless you put up massive numbers on offense.

Ask Sonny about that. He lived it.

I don't get the optimism with Sudfeld.

I meant to ask this earlier. And this is an honest, humble question. Not tryin to stir up things, just for the sake of it.
But my question is opposite of yours, because I don't get the pessimism with Suds.
Maybe I've missed something, but is there some kind of measurable about him, that eliminates any potential of him becoming a decent starter in the NFL ? Or was there something(s) bad that he did in preseason last year, that would remove him from any future potential ? Or do so many people dismiss him, simply because he was a late-round pick ?
Like I said before, I'm not trumpeting him as a hidden gem. And it's not some homerism of rooting for the backup/underdog.
I just don't understand why people aren't at least open-minded or neutral about him, until he shows otherwise.
I saw one scouting report on him, that was like a "poor-mans Roethlisberger".
Well, since our team is so poor, that we can't afford Cousins, maybe a poor-man's Ben, will work for us. :)

As you replied, not 'pessimistic' - just think that we know the failure rate at the NFL level for college QBs (even good ones) is very high. It's a reach to assume this kid, not even being a top tier college QB, projects as an NFL starter. Sudfeld was a 3 year starter at Indiana and put up good #'s - pretty consistently a 60% completion rate for most of his career. He was drafted as much for his measurables as anything. He's a big boy with an NFL frame and has a pretty good arm. Knock on him coming out of college was ability to read defenses (especially struggled against zone coverages at times) and also struggles in the short passing game somewhat. I haven't seen enough of him to have a valid opinion. I'm less 'anti-Sudfeld' than just having a dose of healthy skepticism much as I would for any mid-level college QB projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Say there's the smallest chance in hell Kirk ends up signing a ltd at seasons end. Wouldn't that be insulting to Nate?

:wink-new:

Gruden seems to be a helpless bystander in all of this.

This is a Bruce/Schaefer vs. McCartney/Cousins contest with a little Dan Snyder thrown in for spice.

Unless something drastic has happened in the offseason Sudfeld is nowhere close to seeing the field in a regular season game.

Cousins and McCoy would have to be in the hospital unable to play to see a scenario where he plays.

The team would probably sign a veteran free agent and start him over Sudfeld, giving him plays on a wristband.

Seriously, though, from what I read Sudfeld was off target and looked awful in the offseason work.

Was that not the case?

Bruce Snyder is like the little kid that got a remote control car at Christmas.

Eventually, the car winds up stuck in the corner and the kid has to get the adult to get it out. Once the adult gets it out and gets it pointed in the right direction, the kid runs over,takes the controller back saying" I can do it now! I can! I can!"
Only to have the car headed back towards the corner.

In this case: When the product on the field becomes too embarrassing, they hire an experienced football mind ( McCloughan) to get the franchise out of a bind.

As soon as it appears headed back in the right direction, Bruce Snyder wants control again, even going as far as smearing someone in order to justify firing them.

Now with the Cousins contract fiasco, it looks like the "car" is headed towards the corner again.

Does it get stuck there? History shows that's more than likely going to happen.

Guess we'll see.

I think McCloughan is an alcoholic. I don't think he has any control over it and it's now cost him 3 high level NFL jobs. If you want to say the Front Office 'smeared him' because someone leaked the rationale for his release, okay. I'd call that 'distasteful' - but 'smearing' implies they made it up.

Do you really believe he wasn't drinking and that it wasn't impacting his ability to hold down his job? The whole thing was invented because Allen felt 'threatened'?

I'm not 'defending the Redskins' - I've never liked Snyder nor do I believe Allen is particularly capable. They may well drive the Redskins off the cliff. But that doesn't mean they did the wrong thing by McCloughan.

McCloughan is a nice man. I've never heard anyone say otherwise. That doesn't mean he doesn't have a serious problem. The Redskins were the only NFL team willing to give him a chance. He's still not been 'snatched up' by another NFL team. I also think its of note that he really hasn't come out and gone after the Redskins organization. I believe there's a reason for those things.

I understand your analogy - but if McCloughan was supposedly the responsible adult here - that was doomed to fail, because the guy hasn't been able to manage his own business at 3 different locations.

Well, you could replace McClougjan with Gibbs, same difference.
Hell, if the Redskins really wanted to change how they are perceived, they'd have announced they were seeking help for Scott but when you read about Bruce being ticked off because Scott was close to players or telling him "No one likes you here"....that sounds more like Bruce's ego and need for control to me.

I'm just saying that the two things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Allen may be a controlling prick - but I think McCloughan has serious personal issues that he so far is unable to manage. For all we know they offered him help and he was unwilling to take it. It's possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirk's set another record.
He's bested even the GOAT Tom Brady in this category, so just pay the man.

DE9t5gyXsAI9oR-.jpg

Doesn't that graphic argue that they just did? :)

And boom goes the dynamite! :cheers:

Let's be honest here.

The only reason Kirk got paid was because:

1: He surprised them with his improvement on the field and earned a big raise, which forced the team to tag him.

2: The team stupidly gave him all the leverage he currently has.

I said this on twitter over the weekend and I will say it here...

Getting a feeling that Cousin Kirk will play for the Redskins in 2018. Beyond that date - just don't know, but it seems like both sides want it to work out. Not saying that a ltd is ostensible, it just seems like it could happen next offseason. How? I have no clue. Again, this is just a gut feeling.

Well, if his last play of this season is another season ending, playoff eliminating interception, he may not get an offer from us.

And as far as I'm concerned, anything short of a at least 1 playoff win, and he can go wherever the hell he wants.

If Matt Jones doesn't fumble away the Detroit game, then Cousins leads us to the playoffs, and we most likely wouldn't be having any of this discussion.
Nope, doesn't work that way. Everything that happened before week 17 was irrelevant.
After all was said and done, Greedy Lying Bastard had the chance to be the hero. Instead, he shriveled under the spotlight.

He didn't get the job done in absolute crunch time, that's true and fair enough. But everything matters during every game of the season. We focus on QB play (and we should) but it IS a team sport. That's why the Packers don't win a lot of Super Bowls despite Aaron Rodgers under center.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.