• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

Well, at this point, screw the whole Greedy Bastard saga. Unless they can trade him. Which I'd like to see ASAP.

Need to start locking up next years FA's. Poor the saved dollars from a ridiculous deal for Greedy Bastard into building up and retaining the rest of the team, long term.
Which lessens the need for overpaid, slightly above average QB's.

Snyder and Allen would like to keep Cousins away from the Shanahans. The Shanahans would like to stick it to Snyder and Allen. What is ironic is when Shanahan came here part of the deal was he wanted Allen to be part of the deal.

Neither Shanahan nor McVay is a proven head coach. They have rosters without a lot of talent on them.

If they want to pay Cousins $26 or $27M a year and they have the cap room for a 5-6 year deal, God bless 'em.

You know what that means?

Down the road the Redskins ironically will get the opportunity to sign a nice younger veteran free agent from LA or SF that those teams won't be able to match because of the dollars they have committed at qb.

For those teams you have to sure hope that Cousins matures in his ability to perform in critical situations against better clubs and becomes the kind of player that can raise a team on his own the way that Aaron Rodgers did in Green Bay last year.

Green Bay SHOULD have lost that playoff game to the Cowboys last year. Overall, they were outplayed. Rodgers won that game by himself.

I can remember 3 or 4 games last year that Rodgers won largely on his own ability to make plays when things break down.

History here shows that Cousins plays at his best when he has the tools around him that are healthy and playing well.

He does well when the team is set up to play well.

When things break down or when there are some injuries, his performance falters as it does for most of the qbs around the NFL that don't have elite skills.

I'm ok with that assessment.

My opinion, however, is that 'yet to be determined' means 'don't have that' until proven otherwise. Especially with the running game and the defense. Neither one of those areas has been any good under Gruden. He doesn't seem to care if he establishes a running game, and the defense has just been terrible since 2010. There's no reason outside of 'hey, we drafted guys' to think things will be different there this year. And every team drafts guys.

The WRs I'm a little less down on. But losing TWO thousand-yard receivers in one season ... is just crazy. I can't see any way to assume the new crew will be as good as the last one. That doesn't mean the WRs will suck, just that I don't know that they will be able to carry the team like they did last year. Again 'yet to be determined' ... meh.

I feel you Henry and know exactly where you're coming from. Perhaps I'm filled with unwarranted guarded optimism (which is far from my wheelhouse) but I think the team, outside of the two obvious head-scratching events involving the GM and the quarterback, has done some nice things in this offseason to address some serious team needs.

1. Primarily focused their efforts to improve the defense at all three levels which nearly every fan hoped and prayed they would do.

2. Named a new DC and hired new DL and DB coaches that will hopefully bring an improved scheme and attitude.

3. Extended Moses and return an entire OL that was really pretty good last season (at least 4 of 5 were). With a more in-shape Kelley, the promise of a tough back in Perine, and Chris Thompson, puts the onus clearly on Gruden to execute an effective scheme to realize running game improvement. Can he? Will he? We will have to wait and see.

4. Adding Pryor, a talented and motivated athlete, minimizes half of the loss of Garçon and Jackson for me. Since the same quarterback will be under center, we will see what factors really contributed and how much to the success of the passing game. How much was the success related to Gruden's scheme, Cousins' accuracy and command of that scheme, and the performances of the two receivers who departed. I guess that's kind of a chicken or egg hypothetical. For me, with our best receiver (Reed) returning along with Crowder and Davis, the addition of Pryor and the anticipated development of Docston, I think the passing game will experience little to no regression.

Yes, the front office is a head-shakingly bad PR bunch but overall, again outside of the two obvious, important, off-season, blunderfests, I'm not all that down on their results. Of course the final results are 'yet to be determined' but that's true for nearly every team in the league outside of Foxboro.

I love how people seem to think we can just wander on down to the corner store and find ourselves a pro-bowl quarterback. And if he's not Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, we can just put him back, or make him agree to take 'not Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers' money.

What? Does Bruce Allen have a great track record drafting QBs or something? Was Bruce Gradkowski that good? Josh Johnson got you all excited? Yeah, his late round picks are real diamonds-in-the-rough. Maybe we can use ANOTHER first round pick on a QB. After all, Bob was such a stunning success.

Nah. We're going to have to hope lightning strikes again, and that this time we don't screw it up. Good luck with that.

All this time I thought McCartney was Cousins agent. Today I found out from him that The Lord is.

Last edited:
Cousins was slightly over .500 with 0 defense and almost 0 running game. Not quite Dan Marino but not far off and it's not like Garcon and Jackson were All Pro.

Once Cousins is gone, 90% chance that we don't find a quality replacement, we'll be back where we were in 2009. No QB, no running game, no defense, 4-12 or worse with a collection of jokers choosing the personnel.

Of Course Allen will still hang on a few years because most fans want to pretend not to know who is responsible for everything since 2010.

Cousins padded his numbers with some great games against poor teams.

He didn't play very well against the Cardinals, Panthers, Steelers or Giants defenses.

He lit up the Buccaneers, Bears, Eagles, Browns and other clubs like that that finished near the bottom in pass defense in 2015 and 2016.

You will notice that the Kirk admirers point to the Green Bay win but ignore the fact Cousins threw a game-ending interception in the end zone in the first Dallas game to Barry Church with the lead in reach.

He did the same thing at the end of the season against the Giants in the fourth quarter.

If he was a true franchise quarterback he would have used his legs in these situations to extend plays and provide better opportunities to throw to receivers who hopefully have by then achieved at least some separation from defenders.

But Cousins, despite the run against Detroit, for the most part refused to sacrifice his body in making those bootlegs and quarterback scrambles risking hits by LB and safeties.

Whether that was him worrying over his next contract or just a lack of confidence in that area of his game, it shows.

And it shows on film to opposing defensive coordinators.

They see that Cousins does not have to be respected as an athlete despite good athleticism because he for the most part refuses to use it.

That's one of the reasons we have issues in the red zone.

Better size at wide receiver and a more consistent running game of course will help.

But so would a quarterback who can buy that extra time with his legs that allows Jordan Reed, Crowder or Chris Thompson get open for a TD.

Man, this is a tough room to play.... I'm not happy about the cousins situation, and the FO in general. That being said, Cousins is our QB for 2017, and I'm a Redskins fan..... so I want him to excel, and wish him nothing but the best, now and in the future where ever it takes him. It's easy for some to call him greedy, and call for his benching or exit. Greedy or not, the man has done nothing concerning the actual game to deserve all this hate. He's done his job very well, shown improvement from one season to the next, and has given everything to the team he could. He's given this team it's most consistent QB play in in over a decade. You can use the term "franchise," "system", or any other you may feel he is or isn't, but in the end, he's a good QB..... and our QB for at least this season.

For me, that doesn't warrant all the hate I'm seeing.

Eh, it's the offseason. When the games start counting, I'm sure everyone here will be cheering on whichever players are on the field.

Of course, Greedy Lying Bastard is the only guy obligated to have a better year than last, while also adding some playoff victories to his resume.
That's what he's been paid for, in advance. No excuses.

Man, this is a tough room to play.... I'm not happy about the cousins situation, and the FO in general. That being said, Cousins is our QB for 2017, and I'm a Redskins fan..... so I want him to excel, and wish him nothing but the best, now and in the future where ever it takes him. It's easy for some to call him greedy, and call for his benching or exit. Greedy or not, the man has done nothing concerning the actual game to deserve all this hate. He's done his job very well, shown improvement from one season to the next, and has given everything to the team he could. He's given this team it's most consistent QB play in in over a decade. You can use the term "franchise," "system", or any other you may feel he is or isn't, but in the end, he's a good QB..... and our QB for at least this season.

I couldn't have said this any better myself. Well done. This is where I am as well. I'm actually in MD the first half of this week and I can't take the talk shows. The gloom and doom is just too much for me. Yeah, it sucks because you'd like to have a QB you can trust for years to come. But right now, for this season, Cousins is he QB and that is the most important thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I always come back to BGO. Post of the month, imho.

I just wish an interviewer would ask Kirk point blank :

Do. You. Want. To. Play. For. The. Redskins.

It won't matter what he says, as his eyes, mannerisms, and hesitation, will tell it all.
He answered that question when he, on the orders of his agent, not God, refused to counter the teams offer.
Don't let the Bagdad Bob skit from yesterday fool you.

That's what you think.

IMG_0057.JPG

He answered that question when he, on the orders of his agent, not God, refused to counter the teams offer.
Don't let the Bagdad Bob skit from yesterday fool you.

That's interesting Ax, because it seems Monday you had the opposite view, when you and I had an exchange about this very angle.
I said it's not about greed or money, rather that Kirk just does not want to be here, or really want to be somewhere else, or both. So, I determined that money was not the issue, or else his camp would have made a counter-offer.
Your response was that it was indeed about money and greed.
Now you're saying what I've been saying - that he just doesn't want to be here.
So I'm confused about where you stand, or if you have changed your stance.

I'm not criticizing you, just clarifying.

That's interesting Ax, because it seems Monday you had the opposite view, when you and I had an exchange about this very angle.
I said it's not about greed or money, rather that Kirk just does not want to be here, or really want to be somewhere else, or both. So, I determined that money was not the issue, or else his camp would have made a counter-offer.
Your response was that it was indeed about money and greed.
Now you're saying what I've been saying - that he just doesn't want to be here.
So I'm confused about where you stand, or if you have changed your stance.

I'm not criticizing you, just clarifying.
Yes, I said, and still maintain, that it's about greed, and money.

I also said when we talked the other day that the greed could simply be monetary. Or, greed for control. Or greed for revenge. All still apply.

I agree he doesn't want to be here.

Howeva!

His contradictory Bagdad Bob shtick strongly implies that if the May offer had been larger, there would have been a deal. Making all the "need more time", "praying to God" mumbo jumbo, a lie.

Or, there was no amount that would have got him to sign. Thereby rendering the, "It was closer than you might think" mumbo jumbo, a lie.

I don't see how the two can coexist.

Whereas the greed, money, and not wanting to be here can easily fit together.

It isn't me not being clear, it's Greedy Lying Bastard.

I am not down at all.

I think the Redskins will contend for a playoff spot at 9-7 or 10-6 and may be in good position with the defensive suspensions and free agent losses the Cowboys have suffered since the end of the 2016 season.

Cousins is going to have a statistically good season and I think he will beat the teams he is expected to beat.

Where it becomes dicey is thinking about him elevating his game to win a road game at Dallas or against one or two of the other 2016 playoff teams.

In 2018, I see a team that is able to get some additional key players to put into the mix.

We draft a young qb in a draft with some qb depth and move on :)

With some good decision-making this team could be where the Steelers were in 2003, with a solid club just before they drafted Ben Roethlisberger and became a true contender.

Is it realistic to think that the whole contract thing, may have something to do with Gruden having Cousins on a shorter leash if he slumps. Franchise Tag or not, he benched RG3, so could he realistically bench Cousins if he has a few bad games.
Would also be interesting to see if he goes straight to Sudfeld to see what he's got, instead of McCoy, in that scenario.

Gruden has never been shy about making a point with a player.i think it would take a couple really bad 4-5 INT games for Cousins to get benched. Not sure what you are implying related to that and a contract? And no way we see Sudfeld unless the season is over. I don't get the optimism with Sudfeld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.