• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

If we get Kirk for the Osweiler deal we make out like bandits. It's basically a two-year deal. His cap hit doesn't top what Cousins is making right now until year three of the contract, and by then they can cut him and take a relatively small cap hit if they want.

It's a lot for a guy who only started half a season, but for a guy like Cousins, who will have two full seasons of starts under his belt ... we'd be underpaying him with a deal like that. By a lot.

Last edited:
I was thinking purely in terms at this point of the QB skill and whether we could solidify the position for the long term.

I'm so tired of the QB merry-go-round in Washington and would love to be in a position where we just KNOW who we have behind centre and even if he isn't Elite, we can trust him as a competent game manager. And hey, if an Elite QB falls into our lap in the meantime then great.

We're never going to get Brady or Rodgers etc, and of all the other QB's in the League I think Kirk is pretty good. Not earth shattering, but good enough to hold this team together while we fix all the other aspects that need to be repaired to make us a contender again. Arguably I can't remember the last time we REALLY had a franchise QB. Theismann maybe? We won Superbowls with Williams and Rypien, but I hesitate to call then Franchise QB's. Good enough to have a hot season and get the job done on the day. I think Kirk is in that mold. I hope he is.

Our Offense looks pretty decent. I think with time and familiarization we can put points on the board against most teams. Continuity on the offensive end is what I crave more than anything.

Our Defense needs help in the worst way. I think our Secondary isn't bad when all are healthy, but we need help at Safety and on the Line. I suspect that's this years Off Season task.

There are plenty of examples of Superbowls being won by QB's who aren't Elite. I'd argue just look at last year. Peyton was once an Elite QB, but not last year he wasn't. With a couple more years of good drafting and development in the right areas we can do it with Kirk.

I do agree that we shouldn't pay through the nose for him though... but the QB landscape is pretty barren out there for teams who don't have the man, someone will offer something stupid.

BD,

Osweiler and Cousins are not an apples to apples comparison, even now, just four games into 2016. By the end of 2016 it will be even less so. Seems to me the Redskins have not been drawn into doing anything stupid with Kirk, unless one believes that franchising him this year was a stupid mistake.

If Kirk continues to play like he has this season, I have no problem signing him to a starting-QB-type-four-year-deal and then drafting a prospect every other year or so in a mid-round just to see if we can stumble upon the next Tom Brady. Letting Cousins go and spending yet another first round pick on a QB seems like serious wheel-spinning.

If you ever want to shore up that defense, gotta start drafting there. Can't fix everything at once, and if something is good enough, it's good enough.

No, I was not saying the Redskins had to this point make a mistake with Kirk.

What I was saying is that after the Osweiler deal came out in the offseason all of a sudden the 'presumed' long term deal for a quarterback like Cousins doubled or tripled, at least according to sources like Schefter and others who obviously were being briefed by the agents.

Being a smart guy, McCloughan was not simply going to go along with all of that stepped up inflation based upon ONE deal for a guy who so far hadn't done that much in the NFL in Osweiler.

Cousins is a nice player, especially for the original cost of a fourth round draft pick.

And he deserves a mid-tier contract.

But when things got crazy in the spring and started to look at contracts for Eli Manning or Drew Brees to benchmark Cousins that was a joke.

I guess you're saying he'll make you throw up. I've had that feeling watching him. He got lucky he didn't cost us the last game. But really, he has been unimpressive. Not worth the contract imho. I suppported the guy, but I don't believe he'll take us anywhere, so I'm in favor of keep on drafting QB's. I wanted Prescott and threw up when Dallas lucked into him. But Kirk will never improve if he doesn't have competition for his job.

If Cousins can't snap back into shape, Philip Rivers comes to mind.

You took that I bit farther than I would, micks. He's definitely not played at the level he did down the stretch last year, that is not in question. And aside from the four INT's, he's also missed opportunities that might have been the difference between 3-2 and 4-1. But I've watched each of the past four games again at least once, with the sound down and none of the emotional involvement of watching it live, and he's still made a whole lot of plays.

The hope here is that as the season progresses, he and the entire offense get progressively more in rhythm and we start seeing less of the obvious bad plays, and a few of those long balls and missed opportunities hit ... for me it's just too early still to have formed an opinion on where we go with him next year.

I was thinking Cousins had a good chance to turn out to be 90% as good as Brady after last season. Not so much anymore. Looking more and more like Ryan Fitzpatrick or maybe stretching it to Andy Dalton.

If Cousins can't snap back into shape, Philip Rivers comes to mind.

Is Rivers really the future for this team? He's 34 and it's not like this team is one player away from anything play-off wise. Plus he'd cost a helluva lot more than Kirk or anyone else that you can think of that would be available to come here even if they willing.

You took that I bit farther than I would, micks. He's definitely not played at the level he did down the stretch last year, that is not in question. And aside from the four INT's, he's also missed opportunities that might have been the difference between 3-2 and 4-1. But I've watched each of the past four games again at least once, with the sound down and none of the emotional involvement of watching it live, and he's still made a whole lot of plays.

The hope here is that as the season progresses, he and the entire offense get progressively more in rhythm and we start seeing less of the obvious bad plays, and a few of those long balls and missed opportunities hit ... for me it's just too early still to have formed an opinion on where we go with him next year.

I think Kirk will hit those long ones if he throws fewer of them. I go back after each game and review the coaches film (Game Pass). Mostly looking at the defense but on review of Cousins, he really hasn't shown a good feel for the deep ball - he doesn't accurately gauge his receiver and seems to realize it right after he lets go if you watch his body language. What was successful last year was short passes and the occasional deep one. The receivers haven't changed. The QB hasn't changed. The game plan did but since the team went back to what worked last season they have had much more success (ie - wins).

If Kirk fits the offense they way they're playing now then he's fine. If they want to go to a more vertical game, like they did in the beginning of the year, then he probably isn't and they'll have a decision to make. It's been a slow process with the staff to stop forcing players into what the coaches want and to start working with the talent of the players they have. But it is coming around.

Drew Brees is about to turn 38.

Tom Brady is 39 right now.

A 35 year old Rivers next season wouldn't be that old.

I'll have to look at his contract, but I'd bet he would look pretty dangerous in this offense right now.

Drew Brees is about to turn 38.
Tom Brady is 39 right now.
A 35 year old Rivers next season wouldn't be that old.
I'll have to look at his contract, but I'd bet he would look pretty dangerous in this offense right now.

4 years, $83.25 M ~ Rivers a FA in 2020 (38) which is about $21M @ year for 4 years. For any kinda trade the Skins eat his cap hit plus whatever raise he'd want even if he desired to come here (doubtful). He's definitely in the drivers seat. link: Philip Rivers Contract Details, Salary Cap Breakdowns, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac.

Here's a list of the current 2017 scheduled QB free agents. link: 2017 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac. See if anybody excites you there. I don't see an improvement.

Brees (voids at the end of 2017, FA 2018) has a contract set up like the type that a guy does when he wants to retire soon but also give the team a break on the cap hit. Like London Fletcher - he got paid up front via signing bonus and his salary was dropped when he retired. Plus Drew has a no trade clause so does you no good next year anyway.

Bradford and Stafford are FAs in 2018 - I wouldn't go there but do you like them in a trade? You can look here for 2018 QB FA's if you think there's a trade value there link: 2018 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac. I don't see anything plus not how you typically get a quality starter. Does it happen? Yes. Does it happen often? No.

I don't see any realistic FA or trade at the moment so basically looking at Kirk or a draft pick and maybe McCoy (and/or a Fitzpatrick type) being your bridge QB. It doesn't mean they're out of other options but Cousins is one of the FAs on that list so a few teams will be looking at him also. At the end of a season there's always some team looking.

I think this year was indeed a trial year for Kirk. We all can see what he's got and how he's played. We all describe it a little differently. I don't want to be enamored by the high stats. That's a product of the scheme which is pass pass pass not run run run. Looking back is Kirk better than Grossman? You know the guy, the superbowl winner.

I think Scott sees Kirk for what he is too. So far we have been somewhat smart on personnel, so I expect the same for Scott, Bruce. Its not the money for me, its the number of years. I don't want to be stuck with any QB whose upside has stalled. Hopefully Kirk has pro bowl in his future, that would make a difference to me,otherwise I don't want to lock the guy in.

And yes keep bringing in new young QB's until we hit on the Rodgers or Brady or who knows. They are out there.

Grossman didn't win any Super Bowls, BD. And yes, I'd say Kirk has already shown more professional QB qualities than Rex ever did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirk is a lot better than Grossman. Thats not exactly something to put on a bust in Canton :) but Grossman was never more than a backup-quality QB. A guy that knew a system well enough to make it go for a game or two, but over an entire season was a disaster.

Cousins is not that. He's an average, maybe even slightly above-average starter. I'd put him a step above Campbell or Fitzpatrick or a guy like that. He'll start somewhere next year and with the right guys around him can win games.

Frankly, thats better than what weve had here in a long time, and if a decent contract can be worked out we should keep him. McLovin has been pretty good about putting together smart contracts so Im hopeful there. We'll see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

(Sorry, this post ended up WAY longer than I originally intended!)

Oh he's certainly better than Sexy Rexy.

But Rex proves a point on how you can win in this league if the team is right and the QB is competent.

Don't get me wrong I'd LOVE to have a superstar QB. I'm not sure we've ever really had an Elite QB in Washington, the only names that come close to that conversation are Sammy and Joe. But we have won superbowls with competent QB's. Two of them.

Here's where I disagree with Micks, I'm tired of the QB merry-go-round. I want to get off it.

We can keep trying to roll the dice and win the lottery but where has that really got us since 1993,,,, no where. 20+ years of general futility in the wilderness of irrelevance.

Sure you can sometimes hit the jackpot and find that special someone, but it's a very low chance of success.

You look around sports and success comes in 2 forms. Transcendant Superstar joins team giving brief championship pedigree. Or team is just consistently run well and has continuity.

The former is WAY more likely in something like Basketball where their are only 5 players on the court at any one time. You plug in someone like Lebron James and suddenly you go from bottom feeder to contender. It's much much more difficult in Football where there are way more moving parts and the schemes are complex to learn.

People look at Green Bay and New England and often cite their QB's as being the reason they win alot. But I think most people miss the point when looking at those teams. They have long term continuity.

Belli proved earlier this year that the Pats can function without Brady. Green Bay moved from Favre to Rodgers without missing a beat. Look over in Basketball for examples. The Spurs lost Time Duncan and never missed a beat. These are organisations that are well built from top to bottom, understand their players and their strengths and aren't looking for the magic bullet to fix everything.

The Magic Bullet was Washingtons philosophy for WAY too long.

Kirks not Elite. Not yet, maybe not ever. But he can make this Offense hum.
Yup, there are some red zone issues... they'll sort them.
Scotty is putting together a professional team from top to bottom and that takes time. I've said ad nauseum that I think 2018 is the year. There was just too much to do to fix things, this was always a 3 or 4 year plan.

And in that time I see Kirk growing and learning and becoming more comfortable in this team, this offense and these players. They'll have a long period of continuity and it'll do all of them the world of good.

Look at the top QB's in the league in general.

Brady - 16 year starting for Pats
Ryan - 9 years starting for the Falcons
Bree's - 11 years starting for the Saints
Stafford - 8 years starting for the Lions
Rivers - 11 years atarting for the Chargers

etc

Did you know our two longest tenured QB's of recent times?

Mark Rypien 5 years starting
Joe Theismann 8 years starting.

We have NO ONE who has been in the starting job longer than that.

Is it that our QB's have been that awful? Or is it also that our management over that period of time (possibly due to fan pressure!) just been impatient in letting a QB play. (ok... admittedly for us it's probably mostly the lack of talent!). But I think Kirk HAS the talent to play, look at the numbers he's putting up even if they are inflated due to the offense we run.

QB's start putting BIG seasonal numbers up when they're comfortable in a system and with a team.

Here's another one for you.

11 year starter with the Eagles, posted a 92.9 rating in his last year of that stint... jumped teams to the Redskins.
Donovan McNabb everyone.

We traded for a QB who was 33 and coming off a pretty good 11-5 season. We took him away from a team he was familiar with and gave him a new home and he went 6-10 with a passer rating of 77.1, his lowest rating since his rookie year.

Good QB's are good for a reason. Yes they have talent, but that pure talent only carries you so far and it only shines best when they're in a system that fits and they're comfortable in it, and often that takes years of exposure. Ask Andrew Luck how things are going this year

You have to go back to Mark Rypien to find a Redskin starter who has had more than 3 full years as a starter. Lets give that time to Kirk. I'm convinced that given time and support he'd good enough to settle into this system and take us regularly to the playoffs and with a bit of defensive help to a Superbowl.
He's a fundamentally sound good QB who could maybe one day be very very good. And he's in an offensive system that should only get stronger and better as Reed and Crowder continue to develop and grow with him.

The key to this offence is the line. If we can keep that strong and keep youth on it, keep developing players that fit and play well, and then pair Cousins up with a decent RB, then watch this Offense produce for years to come.

Honestly if Flacco could win a Superbowl, and if last years version of Peyton Manning could win a Superbowl.... Kirk can.

Just gotta give him time.

Grossman didn't win any Super Bowls, BD. And yes, I'd say Kirk has already shown more professional QB qualities than Rex ever did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes my bad, did not win that SuperBowl. So let me take another swing at it. Substitute Brad Johnson for Grossman. Never put up the huge stats, but was a winner. He got the W and did not cost us games. I'm sure Tampa thinks he's better than the other bus driver Dilfer also a SB winner.

Here's what I fear. I don't want Kirk to be a Romo. lots of glitzy stats but wins nothing. There's only two guys I give the nod to for stats without SB victories.......Marino and Fouts. The rest I want "Brad Johnson" winners, if indeed we can't do better than Kirk.

and help me with the memory....Green. Didn't he light it up and was the next big thing for us before going to Rams and thought he would have taken them to SB if not for injury? How does Kirk stack up to his pier group Johnson and Green?

Bram Weinstein is a bit put off by the timing of a WaPo 'article' by Jerry Brewer featuring the Kirk conundrum.

I first heard Bram on Larry's Redskins talk radio show, he went on to espn (the big ship) for a while and is now back in the area on 980.

Pardon my first venture into youtube, I did want to just put up an audio file of the bit but it's too large to go locally and apparently youtube requires some sort of video format, so I borrowed some photos from the Skins dot com and a cheesy bit of montage is what it is... don't expect some 4k HD either :)
( hope I didn't trample on too many copyright toes.)

Bram pretty much covers my feelings on the Kirk situation, probably many other's around these parts as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.