• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

DJax - Longterm Plans

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
Sorry to link to it, but the paper that shall not be named (but will be linked to from time to time) had an interesting piece on Jackson this morning:

For now, the concern is whether the Washington Redskins’ offense can cope without DeSean Jackson. For the future, however, the concern is whether the team can move forward with him.

Jackson presents a complicated case, as usual, a player so essential in the present yet so incompatible with the franchise’s long-term direction. The conundrum crystallized Monday after it was revealed that the wide receiver suffered a hamstring injury early in the season opener that could keep him off the field for up to a month, leading to scrutiny of Jackson’s preseason conditioning.

While it’s impossible to arrive at a definitive answer, Coach Jay Gruden entertained the thought that Jackson’s legs weren’t ready for regular season intensity before expressing doubt. But the mere fact that suspicion exists is an issue that shouldn’t be ignored. It’s exactly the kind of thing the team doesn’t want to worry about anymore.

I figured maybe we could try a conversation that doesn't revolve around bashing Kirk and/or Gruden. Then again, I tried that with Morris last week and it didn't work. :D

A year ago, I would have told you that keeping Jackson was of paramount importance, and that Garcon was expendable, and Roberts was still an unknown. Now I'm done with Roberts and am starting to wonder if Pierre is the guy we want to keep around, and have a lot more questions about Jackson. We'll see how the season plays out of course, but I don't think it's as cut and dried as it looked last year.

I think the Redskins should keep Garçon. I think he's a better receiver th Jackson. I think he plays better when Jackson is not in the field. I also think you can get a guy for cheaper to run the deep routes. I'm not saying I'm done with Jackson right now, even though I wish he'd stop getting hurt. He's still a big part of the plans for now. But if you have to choose between the two, give me Garçon.

Yeah, I'm moving in that direction. The offense really opens up a lot when DJax is on the field because the D has to pay close attention to him. But I'm not sure the tradeoffs are worth it. Jackson is a special talent, no doubt. I really don't think Ross can come in and replicate either the respect or close to the results that Jackson gets, but for now we don't have a choice, we have to see what the kid can do.

I hope McCloughan sees value in keeping him around. Desean Jackson is a weapon that really makes defenses have to game plan specifically for... Nobody else on this roster is really respected by opponents like that. Remember when it was Garcon and opposite him was Joshua Morgan? Let's just be happy we still have DJax and hope he sticks around a while. He really is one of the top 15 WRs and probably one of the top 2-3 deep threats at WR.

we are only lucky when he is on the field...and that is the problem. Look, we have had our issues with injured receivers who shine when they're on the field but struggle to do so. Jordan Reed is just the latest example. He may have "played in 15 games" last year, but how many was he hurt in or injured during? I like Jackson now after fighting bringing him here but he is fragile.

Right now I am on the fence on what to do. When he is out there he is the #1 and it shows. But when he is on the sidelines he is clearly a hindrance. I guess it is going to come down to production vs salary for me to make my decision.

I don't see him as a hindrance when he's not out there... I see a vacancy that we can't fill.

Speaking of Benjamins, he's pretty much guaranteed to be here through 2016 (unless we trade him). If we cut him during 2016, we carry dead cap of over $6M. Currently, his contract is less than both Victor Cruz (injured as often or more so) & Pierre Garcon... He is on a very reasonable contract and has been a relatively good team guy. You don't hear any of the drama from him that you had in Philly. Here is a list of WRs ranked by salary: Wide Receiver Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

It's really not an issue. He's worth every penny, not just by what he does with the ball, but how he makes opposing defenses account for him.

Petey has always been the guy to keep in my book. Very underrated, and young for his years having been the # 3 in Indy for his entire time there. DJax is done in DC IMO. He must be from Italy because he has fragile' tattooed on him at this point. He just can't hold up. I think we have his replacement on the squad already. I'm not happy he's injured, but happy to see what Ross can do in real game action. I think all the Ram fans that see us as screwed without Jackson are gonna have a rude awakening.

One's greatest ability is availability.

So, a guy on the bench is better than DJax?

Please, look at DJax's stats.

The guy is a monster. Look at what he did last year on this pathetic offense.

I know he's not likeable, may have a few too many tats, but the guy is a football professional who produces.

Period.

Yup, he sure did produce last week. Can't produce if you can't stay on the field.

So, a guy on the bench is better than DJax?

Please, look at DJax's stats.

The guy is a monster. Look at what he did last year on this pathetic offense.

I know he's not likeable, may have a few too many tats, but the guy is a football professional who produces.

Period.

Funny, but I didn't see him produce last week.... I guess we'll have to wait for that a bit. Don't give a rats furry little ass about his stats last year. This is the "what have you done lately" league, and availability is everything. He ain't on the field, and I doubt he'll play in more then 9 games this season. At the price he'll cost us this and next season, I want a full time player that's not one dimensional. How do you know that Ross can't put up big numbers, be cause he not a "name brand" ? Sure Jacksons a monster when on the field, but a flash here and there isn't as helpful as somebody who'll last a full season, and be a constant contributor every week.

The tats part was pretty funny. I know chicks with more ink then him.

That's not true. The Redskins have a buy out of Jackson's deal after 2015 that allows them to walk away for $2.5M in dead cap money.

I have no doubt that wide receiver is going to be one of the areas Scot McCloughan and the front office will be looking to add new talent in the 2016 offseason.

I think Jackson will be gone, I think Andre Roberts will be gone.

Crowder and Grant are young and high effort guys but are basically possession receivers.

This team needs a 6'2 215 type receiver who can go down the field and draw a secondary's attention.

The Cowboys have that type of player in Bryant.

The Giants have TWO of those guys in Beckham and Cruz.

To be more competitive in the NFC East we need to add size and speed on the outside.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.