• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WPC: Vindicating Vinny

Om, you wouldn't be trying to lay what has been called "the ancient Chinese curse 'May you live in interesting times'" on us now, would you?

Actually John, it's refreshing to read something other than doom and gloom stuff (you know, the stuff I've written since about week 3!) :)

What if the moves we all hate are the ones Snyder is involved in and, when left to his own devices, Vinny makes somewhat reasonable decisions?

I suppose, if that were truly the case, that Cerrato only has tiny windows of opportunity to actually make his own decisions, and that those were the far more successful decisions being made, I'd have to ease off him. But it doesn't change our fate - in fact, it would simply demonstrate the degree to which we are doomed.

When I referenced 'garbage time', I was referring to the ability to start playing tough against talented teams only after the season is lost or nearly lost. If we have a team identity over the past 5 years, that's it. I don't know why we have to be 'on the brink' of elimination, or as with this year, done with meaningful games before we actually start showing up, but that seems to be the way it is. To me, that speaks of a fragile team psyche.

I think it's great that a number of our no-name/blue collar players, pushed into action because of injury or out of desperation, are in fact producing. But I have serious doubts that we'll see a 'sea change' going forward where we start placing a higher priority on work ethic, 'coachability', and other less sexy attributes. I just don't believe we're capable of building a high quality team from the trenches on up. Not unless we bring back Marty Shottenheimer, or hire a GM and/or head coach who actually has some authority and 'gets' that it's difficult to build a winner without a rock solid foundation.

Anyway, I did enjoy your take - even if I thought you yourself only believed about 25% of it :)

But before you pack me off to the nuthouse, let's at least consider one question: What if the moves we all hate are the ones Snyder is involved in and, when left to his own devices, Vinny makes somewhat reasonable decisions?

Then I'd say the problem with the front office is about as bad as it can get. If it was just Vinny making bad decisions, then you can replace him with someone better. But if he's making good decisions and the bad ones are Danny's then that's trouble. That means two things. One, Vinny can't or won't stand up to Danny and tell him when he's making a boneheaded decision. Two, if Vinny somehow does lose his job (unfortunately I wouldn't bet on it at this point), whoever replaces him will either have to tame the Snyder or we'll be no better off, with the Danster making decisions he shouldn't and which are keeping the Redskins from getting back to being an elite franchise.

Whichever, the future looks dim.

Are we talking about the same Vinny Cerrato who was quoted saying he did not believe in using high draft choices on linemen? That Vinny Cerrato?

Sorry John but statements like that damn him from his own mouth. Not all these lousy decisions can be laid at the feet of the Stubby One.

Why are some of us trying to make excuses for the way this organization has been run since Snyder has taken over? I can find no reason for this justification.
My mind has not and will not change until Vinny is gone and Danny wises up and brings in competent and professional management. All speculation be damned.
God, that feels better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.