• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Make Roster Moves 9/14/15

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
September 14, 2015

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have made the following roster moves:

The Redskins signed the following free agents:
K Dustin Hopkins
DE Frank Kearse

The Redskins waived the following players:
LB Houston Bates
K Kai Forbath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought we just barely waived Kearse to make room for Bates?..?

So long Forbath.

Yipppeeee Kai AAAAAAA Muther kicker.

I'm sure they're hoping all the teams sins will be cleansed by nailing Kai to the cross.

I guess we all should.

With our specials' 'terrorizing' coverage, might be better off just kicking it through the endzone.

Protect the rest by sacrificing the easiest spot to refill without the new guy needing to learn a playbook.

I'd be interested in knowing the reasoning behind Kai's release. If it's based on not kicking it through the end zone most of the time, I get it. I get it. A lot of teams seem to be able to do that. If it's because he missed a 47 yarder...not so sure.

On the decision to waive K Kai Forbath:
“I think Kai was a good kicker for us for a few years now, very accurate obviously inside of 40. But I think moving forward, you look at the total package of what a kicker needs to bring to your football team and we were looking for a little bit of a stronger leg, especially on kickoffs. That’s the bottom line. We’ve got 16 regular season games. We’re down 0-1 and we just think for the long haul, we’d like to get some better kickoffs. We think that the new kicker, if he can be close to him in accuracy and field goals, I think the kickoffs will put him over the edge as far as being a little bit better.”

The real let down on special teams hasn't been on kickoff returns and field goals, but rather punt returns and poor coverage teams.

I don't see how this decision helps that situation out any.

What is Kotwica doing?

Tress Way continues to boom balls 55 yards with little to no hang time and the coverage units almost always seem to bust their lanes so a returner has open space to come forward and make big plays.

The Redskins have changed over their ST personnel over the past couple of years.

And yet the coverage teams continue to look poor.

So, in my mind it must be in part the coaching, or lack thereof.

On the kicking change, I sure hope that Hopkins is not the kind of guy that is going to tease us with a leg that can kick the 60 yarder in practice but can't be ACCURATE under PRESSURE on game day.

If that's the case, Gruden is going to have to answer for that one.

No kidding! Kotwica should be the one out on his ass. It's getting absolutely ridiculous. That play alone cost us the game yesterday. But he's apparently immune despite repeated breakdowns in the only unit he has to worry about. Doesn't look to me like the guy knows what the hell he is doing.

Teams like New England regularly put rookies and younger guys on special teams, so there goes the Redskins excuse-making that they have to start all these younger players and veterans like Hayward are out for the year so they can't possibly be expected to play at a high level, etc.

I like Cooley's comment on the ESPN 980 show this afternoon - "This team's coaching staff needs a little more Lombardi in them, they are too soft".

No kidding! Kotwica should be the one out on his ass. It's getting absolutely ridiculous. That play alone cost us the game yesterday. But he's apparently immune despite repeated breakdowns in the only unit he has to worry about. Doesn't look to me like the guy knows what the hell he is doing.

Second your motion. Am I the only one who called out "punt it out of bounds"? Don't give them a chance to return it with an open field like that. Kickers always out kick their coverage when kicking from that deep in their own end. Where was the coach to set up the play? It is obvious to any knowledgeable football fan that defenses set up for the return play in those situations down by our end zone. There was virtually no rush, they ran back for their return blocks. No return left, no return right, just straight up the gut untouched. I blame the teams coach on that. apparently from Tres's quotes he chose to air it out instead of going to the sideline with it or set up a no return from hangtime. Nowhere did the coach advise him. I don't get it. You have to guarantee your results in those situations and it is on the teams coach to do it. Hope he gets a new a hole from Gruden.

Fwiw, according to John Keim (a pretty emotionless reporter) over 50% of our production on ST came from three players. Yep, the three who are out for the year.

Now out of 10 guys, plus a kicker, you'd only expect a 30% drop in production.

Apparently it's much more than that in reality.

Fire Kotwica. But the truth is that the next guy who comes in will have to make up 50% somewhere. We just don't have the horses at the moment.

Let's see how Scot replaces the lost production.

The 'horses' have changed a bit though.

You have Jeron Johnson who is new to Washington. Kyshoen Jarrett is a rookie. Will Compton is a younger player.

A good coach should be able to get production out this group, even if improvement as in other places on the roster, comes a bit at a time.

Doc Walker is right - playing special teams is more about the size of the fight in the dog than the size of the dog in the fight :)

If some of the guys on teams are just hanging out until they have a chance to start on offense or defense, then we need to get them off the roster and find other guys.

Nobody I saw on ST this past weekend is a star in the making, if they can't be humble enough to earn their place in the NFL on teams, I am sure there are guys out there that would.

BT, I agree 100%.

But if you or I were the ST coach, and we just lost over 50% of our production, it would probably take a few weeks to recover. Maybe even a few months.

I commend Scot. If you have problems covering kickoffs and you want a quick fix? Do what you can to prevent having to cover kickoffs.

I don't buy the BS excuses. Kotwica has had a full season to un**** this unit, and every team in the league has ST injuries. This guy may be recently elevated to ST coach here, but he has had years of being involved in ST coaching with the Jets. It's about scheme, discipline, and competent coaching as it is talent. That's why great ST's units aren't always full of NFL starting caliber talent.

I will be patient with this guy, because I'm preaching patience to the numerous impatient here. But the ST crap bothers me more than anything else, because those units are only on the field a fraction of the time that offense and defense are, and yet seem to find a way to screw us out of a win about every other week.

I don't buy the BS excuses. Kotwica has had a full season to un**** this unit, and every team in the league has ST injuries. This guy may be recently elevated to ST coach here, but he has had years of being involved in ST coaching with the Jets. It's about scheme, discipline, and competent coaching as it is talent. That's why great ST's units aren't always full of NFL starting caliber talent.

I will be patient with this guy, because I'm preaching patience to the numerous impatient here. But the ST crap bothers me more than anything else, because those units are only on the field a fraction of the time that offense and defense are, and yet seem to find a way to screw us out of a win about every other week.

I totally respect this opinion and share in your frustration.

But if we just lost over 50%...65% according to Keim, we're going to feel a hit. The ST coach may also suck the big one. If he does, I'm sure that Scot will fire him.

Regardless, we still lost some great players. That's not an opinion or excuse, but a fact.

We have to coach the current guys up big time, but also keep an eye out for more talent.

I imagine that Scot looked at the film and thought this was the most logical move right now.

Lorenzo Alexander is out there still, I think

Might be of some interest, especially the difference in kickoff average. (hope it conveys to the big time)

Dustin Hopkins
Hopkins appeared in all four preseason games for the Saints this year, converting on 3-of-5 field goal attempts while making all four of his extra point attempts.

The Florida State product also averaged 65.5 yards per kickoff with 10 touchbacks.

“Gets them up quickly with a strong downward strike on the ball. Misses are just outside of the uprights to the left or right, not major misfires. Flashes 55-yard range with NFL-caliber height on the kicks, not line-drives. Excellent strength and height on kickoffs, times well over 4.0 seconds consistently and gets the ball to the middle or front part of the end zone even with nice trajectory,” the profile says.

Kai, soooooo much relief after Cundiff, impressive start just wish he had a bit stronger leg.
Forbath ends his Redskins career converting 60-of-69 field goal attempts (87 percent) with a long of 50 yards. Seventeen of his conversions came during the 2012 season, when he set an NFL record for the most consecutive made kicks to start a career.

Forbath also averaged 61.7 yards on his 176 kickoffs over the last four seasons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.