• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Good Stuff...

One additional positive I will add is that we look more physical to me. Not sure if it's personnel, coaching or both (probably both), but Scot has said he wants opponents to KNOW they played us - and I think the Fins will. They may have won, but we didn't back down, and we pushed them around a fair amount.

AlMo and Jones in the 4th Q after a full game of tackling those two has to be a nightmare for defenses.

One of the things that stood out to me as I processed the 800 images I took yesterday (which is kinda like a review of the action) was that Scherff was nailing people any chance he could!

Many times Morris or Jones would not go down from initial contact and would be stood up. As 2 or 3 defenders were trying to pile on, you'd see Scherff coming in crushing any additional defenders trying to pile on the RB.

I was looking for improvement over what we have had to deal with in the recent past, and I like others saw noticeable improvement in several areas.

The offensive line has been a chronic sore point for most Redskins fans for quite a while now-particularly on the right side. You do remember Tyler Polumbus, right?

Big improvement there.

Defensive pressure is visibly better, IMO. Pot Roast is a beast.

Jordan Reed please stay healthy; when you are you are a serious handful for any defenders.

Matt Jones looks to be a serious back-up component to a 1-2 RB punch. Alfred is just what he is-thank goodness. :peaceful:

I was going to leave this alone since I really don't want to get into RG3 again...just wish he'd be released so the drama is over once and for all. Why did they have to show him every 3rd play in their broadcast yesterday?

Anyway, I sat behind the Redskins' bench yesterday, I watched him. Early on, he was moping quite a bit. He would go from player to player and try to chat it up, most times having the team mate simply walk away. As the game progressed, he tried to get more involved with the "pep" talks with players, who simply appeared to ignore or simply appease the kid. You saw as he started to supplant himself in the mix during discussions between coaches and Cousins, why? He's the 3rd string QB, if anyone should be involved...it should be the 2nd stringer, who actually gave coaches and Cousins space to discuss what was needed...just looked like he yearned for the action and did anything and everything to be included.

To be honest, it was quite sad.

It is sad. Too bad Grudung has left him out to hang to dry.

Our running backs all were picking up blitzes and blocking exceptionally well yesterday.

Backhanded compliments from Dolphins fans

The idea has been bandied about concerning the idea of sometimes doing a post-game Redskins Recon to get fans of the other team's reactions. Mostly NFL fans, like Redskins fans, after a loss rip their players and coaches apart pointing out where failings were-which is perfectly natural and seldom is any mention made of the other team's doing something good-or better than was anticipated.

So I thought I'd revisit some Dolphin forums to see if the Redskins got any mention since they had regarded us pretty lightly before the game.

Turns out there were a few....compliments-as the title says some were of the "backhanded variety I guess you'd say, about the Redskins performance. I decided to put them here because I think they do constitute "Good Stuff."

jlfin

Hard to fill gaps when your DLineman are on the ground and the OG are at the second level. LBs cant fill gaps when they are engaged by Olineman.
There were huge holes in that LOS. The phins lost the battle in the trenches yesterday. Can't sugar coat it.

undefeated72

I'm reading about the poor LB play and was wondering if I was the only one who saw it differently. My perception was the DL was manhandled the first half and is the primary culprit for the success of the Redskins running game. Second half a different story and the LBs looked better. Bottom line there is plenty of blame to be shared.
Just my opinion.

Key Fin

The only aspect worse than Tannehill struggling, however, was our defensive front. Suh played a pretty good game given that he was double teamed every play, but Cousins had a fairly clean pocket for most of the afternoon. Where was the pressure you’d expect from the <alleged> best line in football? It just wasn’t there, and thank heavens for people like Jones stepping up from the secondary and landing monster hits. If the right side of the field wasn’t basically on shut-down mode in the 2nd half from Cousins fear of Grimes, we may not have earned that W today.

You might remember this Miami fan from the Recon

Tin Indian

Well I think that Washington is better than most thought. Clearly their offensive line is markedly improved. They were blowing holes up the middle pretty much whenever they wanted. Our D line really did not play well and our Lb's did not cover well either.

I think our offense is better when we are pushing the ball downfield some, everyone is expecting the dink and dunk route. It wasn't until we started throwing the intermediate routes that things got better for the offense.

1st game in a place where we have never won, I'll take it. But things need to improve out of the gate, just like last year the team seemed flat out of the gate.

Springveldt

I get that total points is the ultimate benchmark but no way does that defensive performance merit a B. The Redskins kicked their asses in the trenches where we were meant to dominate.
Sure they played better in the 2nd half but that 1st half performance alone should give them a D.
The Redskins must have held the ball for about 23/24 minutes in the first half and had 37 minutes of total time.

If we turn in that kind of defensive performance against a competent team then this defense will look an awful lot like the one we witnessed over the last 6 games of last season.

The league is a very, very different place now than it was 25-30 years ago, both in the way the game is played and the way players are developed. You can't sit on a QB and wait until he's 26 to even see the field and then give him another few years to iron out his game. No team in the league can do that today.
Well, if you want a more current example.....

Drew Brees.

AJ Smith and Marty were so sure the book was written on him that they drafted Phillip Rivers...only to see Brees blow up and eventually go on to lead the Saints to a title.

There are some things in football, no matter what year it is, that are bed rock principles that never change. One of those being: you can't tell jack about any player after ten starts,much less a Qb.

All I'm really getting at here is that it's just so damn tiring watching former Redskins go to other places and have success.

Humphries and Brad Johnson come to mind,along with numerous kickers.

The Redskins finally gutted the roster this offseason and started rebuilding with younger players across the board.

This was 2 years too late IMO.

But Scot McCloughan came in and was handed a team that was little better than an expansion club.

Bruce Allen somehow saw a 3-13 team in 2013 and figured that for 2014 almost all the starting jobs were settled.

Remember that one? :mad:

This team used to be SO SLOW in getting younger guys on the field.

That has changed and is one of the reasons I see improvement coming finally.

What's the harm in a clear rebuilding year of starting Scherff and Moses together on the right side? :)

That's what Gibbs did in 1982-83 with Jacoby, Grimm and Bostic.

If he had continued to play average to middling 30 year old veterans, the Redskins would never have become a top offensive team.

And because we are starting a lot of younger players, we need to stay the course with them.

If they make mistakes, they make mistakes.

That's the way of the league.

The key is from Week 1 to Week 6 or 7, are the players in question making the SAME mistakes?

Or have they learned from reps and additional coaching to cut down on their miscues?

Those are the things we need to watch for.

Things I saw:

--It was a 3-part success story on offense. I was happy to see the OL standing their ground and giving Cousins time. I was happy to see RB's doing their job in blitz pickups (Thompson had a couple good ones). And, Cousins did a decent job of getting the ball out on time so that when the DL (Wake) WAS getting around Moses on the right side, he didn't get there in time. Ball was already gone.

--Loved seeing the OL at the second level - and LOVED seeing them help push the piles.

--Alfred is a very smart runner. Knows when to take the fight to the defender and knows when to go down.

--Was happy to see our team holding on to the ball. Couple picks, yes, but nobody got stripped. Not even one that we recovered ourselves.

--Was happy to see Crowder going FORWARD. Even for a couple yards.

--Thought the DL did a great job against the run (except for the 9-yard run to ice the game), but wish there had been a little more heat on Tannehill.

--Hated, HATED the fact that we gave up those points end of the first half. I called it in the chat. It was so damn typical of our team these years....those are the points that will always - ALWAYS - come back to haunt you.

--Reed is a huge asset. Bummer that Gruden threw him under the bus post-game. Carrier appears (on TV) to be HUGE - and seems to have good hands and good sense. Liked what I saw out there.

--Really want to see more of our rookies. Want to see Crowder more involved down the field. Want to see Rashad Ross out there with Jackson down. Let him run and sit Roberts. Give him a shot. Want to see more of Preston Smith and I want to see what Jeffcoat can do.

--Love Tress Way's leg. Now we just need to learn how to cover.

--Game plan seemed a little vanilla. A couple 3rd down runs that I thought we should have passed on...and a couple passes we should have run.

--Really hated the penalties. Really pissed that they'd miss Suh turning around Moses' head and poking him in the eye. Led to Nizchke going in and pulling a holding penalty right off the bat. They make that call, might have stemmed the tide. Even offsetting penalties keeps us from moving backwards again. And perhaps again....and again.

--Happy with the physicality - but sad that it hurt us at times. Was very impressed with Ineanacho's play...and then he breaks his wrist. (Just heard Culliver is out next week - suspended. Haven't heard why....anybody?)

--Overall, bummed from the lack of attacking in the second half. Sad to have lost...but glad to see a small bit of fight. Looking forward to the season and hoping that the Dolphins aren't the only team underestimating us.

Ty Nsheke is a 6'8 and 320 stiff.

The Rams had this guy for a year and couldn't wait to get rid of him when the season was over.

I don't see any upside in him and really believe the team is sitting under a thundercloud in thinking he is capable of coming in to replace Morgan Moses at RT.

The team would be better off going on the street and trying to find a veteran and bringing him out of retirement.

Nsheke was only on the field because Compton was not suited up.

We're not in last place.

NFC East
Team<abbr title="Wins">W</abbr><abbr title="Losses">L</abbr><abbr title="Ties">T</abbr><abbr title="Win Percentage">Pct</abbr><abbr title="Points For">PF</abbr><abbr title="Points Against">PA</abbr><abbr title="Net Points">Net Pts</abbr><abbr title="Home Record">Home</abbr><abbr title="Away Record">Away</abbr><abbr title="Division Record">Div</abbr><abbr title="Conference Record">Conf</abbr><abbr title="Last 5 Record">Last 5</abbr><abbr title="Streak">Streak</abbr>
Dallas1001.000272611-0-00-0-01-0-01-0-01-0-0W-1
Washington010.0001017-70-1-00-0-00-0-00-0-00-1-0L-1
Philadelphia010.0002426-20-0-00-1-00-0-00-1-00-1-0L-1
NY Giants010.0002627-10-0-00-1-00-1-00-1-00-1-0L-1

<tbody>
</tbody>

Well, if you want a more current example.....

Drew Brees.

AJ Smith and Marty were so sure the book was written on him that they drafted Phillip Rivers...only to see Brees blow up and eventually go on to lead the Saints to a title.

There are some things in football, no matter what year it is, that are bed rock principles that never change. One of those being: you can't tell jack about any player after ten starts,much less a Qb.

All I'm really getting at here is that it's just so damn tiring watching former Redskins go to other places and have success.

Humphries and Brad Johnson come to mind,along with numerous kickers.

Drew Brees is a terrible example, unless you want to compare him to Griffin. 25 year-old Brees had started 27 games (or as Boone likes to say, two full seasons) when the Chargers decided to draft another QB and go in another direction. That's seven more games than 25 year-old Griffin has had started since switching from the read-option. And then the Chargers only got rid of Brees because he got hurt and they had already spent a ton on his replacement so they were in a unique and very odd spot. I'm not sure Brees fits any mold, but if he did he would serve more as an example of why you wouldn't give up on Griffin, not why you should give his 27 year-old backup a chance to spend the next few years developing.

Not that I'm advocating that, of course.

But if you fear Trent Green Syndrome, I'd say Griffin has just as much of a chance, if not more of one, of making us regret dumping him than Cousins would.

But if you fear Trent Green Syndrome, I'd say Griffin has just as much of a chance, if not more of one, of making us regret dumping him than Cousins would.

I am completely baffled by this. I am not defending Cousins, because dumping both is likely to happen next year. What I find baffling is that someone entertains the idea that dumping Griffin is going to somehow came back on us, making us regret ever letting him go.

I know you were trying to make the suggestion Griffin has more upside, but it appears you entertain the thought Griffin is going to somehow miraculously become good in the NFL. Can't you see how poor he is unless schemed to his former physical talents?

I am completely baffled by this. I am not defending Cousins, because dumping both is likely to happen next year. What I find baffling is that someone entertains the idea that dumping Griffin is going to somehow came back on us, making us regret ever letting him go.

I know you were trying to make the suggestion Griffin has more upside, but it appears you entertain the thought Griffin is going to somehow miraculously become good in the NFL. Can't you see how poor he is unless schemed to his former physical talents?

I am not defending Griffin, because dumping both is likely to happen next year.

I just don't think the 'he'll come back to haunt us' phenomenon is more likely to happen with Cousins than it is with Griffin.

I am not defending Griffin, because dumping both is likely to happen next year.

I just don't think the 'he'll come back to haunt us' phenomenon is more likely to happen with Cousins than it is with Griffin.

OK...reading through your posts as of late, there seems to be a hint of Robert support...I will accept your response here as the gospel on that topic.

It's like Billy vs sonny 2015 style!

We won't be in last place after this week also

My favorite good stuff.

Liked Posts
1310 times
There is no bad stuff this day.

A great game by the defense and special teams. Offense was competent and efficient.

Just a nice win. All teams experience a lull during games...we came out of it when it counted.

HTTR!

You da man tr1!

1. A Win. By hook or by crook, it's what you want. It's why you play the game.

2. The best first half I've seen of Redskins football in a while. (I don't count the game against the JV Jaguars last year since it really did look like the two teams were in different leagues.) But for todays game, just a dominating performance on both sides of the ball the in the first half.

3. The offensive line, especially the right side. Did Chris Long even play? I didn't hear his name at all today, except when they called his number wrong on a penalty. For the Rams to have such a supposedly great line, they were pretty much dominated most of the day.

4. Matt Jones!!! What a game kid!

5. Cousins was cool, calm, and collective all day. Only one head scratching throw, which was dropped by the defense. Otherwise, he did exactly what he needed to do all day.

6. The defense against the run. They bottled up that run game, with the exception of that one end around. Overall, the defense was good as well, except for that one brain fart in the 3rd quarter on the deep pass.

I'm sure there is more and me forgetting any of the others is not meant to slight any players. I'm just happy they won.

Edit:

One more I just noticed. It's another bugaboo of the Redskins the past umpteen years. Stopping the other team on 3rd down and the offense converting on 3rd down.

Rams - Third Down Efficiency 2/12 - 16%
Redskins - Third Down Efficiency 8/16 - 50%

Trent Green was a very good pocket passer and the Redskins only lost him because the trust hired to sell the team was unable to add to payroll until the transaction cleared.

So, Green took the Rams offer in free agency.

But we would have kept him if we could have.

That's the difference.

Not only did Washington want to keep him but there were other teams in the league willing to give him a multi year contract.

I don't see any of that type of interest in Griffin.

You know what I liked most about today?

From the first quarter through the end of the game it was about TEAM today not the fates of one player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.