• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Will Morris hit 10k Career Yards?

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
Interesting Grantland piece today on the paucity of runners who stand a chance of hitting 10k career rushing yards:

It’s no secret that teams are passing the ball like never before, largely the result of rule changes that help increase scoring — and theoretically increase fan interest, particularly from casual fantasy football players. The changes began with the emphasis on illegal contact penalties following the Patriots’ shakedown of the Colts in the 2003 AFC Championship Game, and continued with the 2010 introduction of personal fouls for hitting a defenseless receiver. At this point it’s a surprise that defenders aren’t flagged for shaking hands too aggressively with an opponent before the coin toss.

In addition to those new regulations that incentivize passing the ball, NFL teams are imitating the hurry-up spread offenses storming college football. Not only are there more reasons to pass, there are more opportunities to pass. Teams averaged 236.8 passing yards per game in 2014, which broke the record set in 2013, which broke the record set in 2012, which broke the record set in 2011, which broke the record set in 2010. It looks like this so-called forward pass might stick after all.

The article asks if Marshawn will be the last. Made me think of Alfred, who was addressed thusly:

You might be wondering why prominent names like Arian Foster, DeMarco Murray, and Alfred Morris didn’t make this list, and you might be realizing that the answer, again, is age: Morris has played only three seasons but is already 26, while Foster is 29 and Murray is 27. And none of those three is within even 3,500 yards of the 10,000-yard mark. Franchises now realize the benefits of cheaply churning through younger bodies, so while Fred Jackson may be the third-leading rusher in Bills history, the team tossed aside the 34-year-old last week.

Thoughts?

Rest of article here: Stopped on a Dime: Could Marshawn Lynch Be the NFL?s Last 10,000-Yard Rusher? «

I think he has a good chance of making that mark. Until the O line is finished being rebuilt, this team will have to be heavy run dependent to keep other teams honest, and take pressure off the line and QB. I think the only real hurdle is loss of carries to another back. Hoping to see more of a one two punch this year, and it matters little if Alfred does or doesn't make that mark, as long as we're winning.

I didn't realize he was already 26. I figured no more than 25 and maybe just 24.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.