• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Why i'm losing hope

Yeah, somehow I think giggle fits is going to be the main distraction. I mean really?? This is much to do about nothing as far as distractions go. I hate social media. If you Text it, email it or in any way put it in digital format with your name on it, you better consider it public property. To the main point of the thread though, there is still a lot to play out yet. Drafting Kirk could just as easily turn out to have been brilliant if he pans out. If not, there's no guarantee anyone else drafted in his selection would have panned out given our history. Gruden may do just fine without the RG factor looming large every single second of every day. Don't discount the distraction he was and the negative impact that had on the entire team. Doesn't matter if it was his doing or not. The QB situation last year caused a huge problem. We have to stop the Coaching carousel and get some consistency. Even if Gruden brings us 5 years of stable average, it's a move in the right direction. No heavy hitter is coming here until the organization stabilizes. If all you can do is view the negative and how wrong everything is, find a new passion. I can't put any interest into the team if all I do is focus on the sucking. The team has suffered long stretches of sucking before, and will again.

So, McCloughan's wife posts a jealous tweet because Russini supposedly has an 'in' with someone higher up in the organization...........

and the ESPN 980 folks are talking about how Scot McCloughan's past (drinking issues) in San Francisco should not be so quickly forgotten??????

How does one affect the other?

I don't see this as ANY kind of issue for this team moving forward from the current news cycle.

Man, talk about a mountain out of a mole hill :halo:

You mean Gibbs who coached Riggins who liked to get drunk at social dinners, call out "Sandy baby", and then fall over?

Or coach Gibbs with the cokehead defensive lineman who couldn't stay sober?

Or the constant quarterback issue we had?

Coach Gibbs was amazing...but he didn't walk on water nor should he be treated like a perfect savior just to try and disparage the current team

I wonder what the narrative would have been if we'd had all the social media and instant access we have now.

I wonder what the narrative would have been if we'd had all the social media and instant access we have now.

I really wonder if we would love Coach Gibbs as much as we do now. Or if he would have even been able to keep his job due to his team's issues.

Joey T was a womanizer. There is no denying that. I sat in his restaurant and watched him slime all over my mother with my brother and I right there at the table.
Riggo was a huge drunk
The Hogs were drunks and not only drank on the teams property in a facility but even practiced drunk! Plus the coach knew it!
Dexter.....
Alvin Walton the head hunter
Timmy Smith

I mean, we had our share of drama in a decade....I don't know if we would have the pride we do now if the WaPo and other rags had their way.

Mike, back in those days I think we all knew.

Clyde's at Tyson's Corner.

Chadwick's in Georgetown.

There were spots to go out and watch the players on parade on Friday or Saturday nights.

Riggins got a DUI in 1983 that Cooke 'took care of'...........cough, cough....................:D

It was a different league, a different time.

What guys did on their own time was their own business unless they were busted in a sting like Tony Peters or hurt someone else, etc.

People were more focused on what the team was doing on Sundays.

Look at the high wire act Lawrence Taylor was on for his 13 year NFL career.

He never would have been able to remain in the league given the way the NFL is now punishing players and focusing attention on ANY transgression.

What the NFL today considers a 'big deal' was really 'no story' back in the 1980's and 1990's.

Maybe perspective here is needed, think entertainment industry, rock stars and celebrities.

Only difference is the stage where these guys perform is larger and covered with something resembling turf.

The sports media is now covering and reacting just like their colleagues lining the red carpets.

the thing is, there have been some improvements but so many massive mistakes that almost everyone saw coming, and now gruden whose one qualification was supposed to be as a qb guru, failed to get a decent oline in front of Rg3, then failed to get him even close to where he was his rookie season, I dont care about the money, thats danny's problem I care about the 3 years that this set us back. our last great season was over 20 years ago now, I was in highschool ffs, and frankly thats too damn long for us to keep the faith for a team that constantly disappoints us. like I said, actual improvement, or I am gonna start watching cfl again

Wait, you mean you actually still had hope? I got rid of hope when Snyderatto hired Zorn instead of Gregg Williams.
And you are sooo wrong about taking Cousins in the 4th instead of OL. We took LeRibeus in the 3rd, and 4 years later he's holding on to a roster spot. As the backup center. You really think another OL picked after him by Shanny would have turned out any better? What if we had picked Russell in the 3rd instead of LiRibeus - would that have been a bigger waste?
Agree 100% on the other stuff. Didn't like the Allen, Shamahan or Gruden hires- and I absolutely DETESTED the Haslett hire. The Barry one sucks too. Here's hoping Scott McCloughan brings an end to Bucskins hires.

I hear you on Gregg Williams, although if he had it might've been the Skins getting hammered for bountgate instead of the Saints, so there's that. The other thing I suspect (although I have no facts to back it up) - I think had Gibbs recommended Gregg for the head job, he'd have gotten the head job. No way Snyder doesn't follow Saint Joe's advice. Williams was pretty much the anti-Gibbs. Vulgar, brash, super-aggressive. And then there was the missing man play which, believe it or not, I don't think ever sat well with Gibbs. I strongly suspect that Gibbs trashed Williams (or at a minimum gave him a less than ringing endorsement) and that's why he wasn't given a shot at head coach. I don't know if Williams would've fared any better than Zorn did. Snyder doesn't do well with HC's who actually have egos and ideas of their own.

Mike, back in those days I think we all knew.

Clyde's at Tyson's Corner.

Chadwick's in Georgetown.

There were spots to go out and watch the players on parade on Friday or Saturday nights.

Riggins got a DUI in 1983 that Cooke 'took care of'...........cough, cough....................:D

It was a different league, a different time.

What guys did on their own time was their own business unless they were busted in a sting like Tony Peters or hurt someone else, etc.

People were more focused on what the team was doing on Sundays.

Look at the high wire act Lawrence Taylor was on for his 13 year NFL career.

He never would have been able to remain in the league given the way the NFL is now punishing players and focusing attention on ANY transgression.

What the NFL today considers a 'big deal' was really 'no story' back in the 1980's and 1990's.

Such was the case in the 1960s and 1970s as well-things weren't all up in everybody's face like the neon lights of the Vegas Strip as social "news media"

tries to do now, unfortunately to a receptive if not voracious public appetite for the sensational and shocking.

This is why I tend to dismiss the media "feeding frenzy" accompanying soap-opera-like non-game related uproars as mostly a result of the influence

of social media today upon perceptions and reactions. I am among those whose main interest is how the team plays on the field-off the field distractions

be damned.

serv - what is up with the weird text breaks in your posts. I've noticed in the blog submissions too?? Not a big deal, just curious what's causing that?

Abandon all hope all ye who enter here.

serv - what is up with the weird text breaks in your posts. I've noticed in the blog submissions too?? Not a big deal, just curious what's causing that?

Damned if I know. I'll do some investigating and see if I notice anything.

Leave Serv's text breaks alone!

image.jpg

I said that drafting cousins in the second round was retarded when we had such a need on oline, and I was right yet again, do you see a pattern here?

Its actually tiresome being right all the time, even more so when I really wished I was wrong a couple times. .

OK you can relax now from being right all the time, since Cousins was drafted in the fourth round - your welcome!

To address your bigger point, I agree it seems like the team is just full of dysfunction for the last 24 years, and I see no end in sight.

I really wonder if we would love Coach Gibbs as much as we do now. Or if he would have even been able to keep his job due to his team's issues.

Joey T was a womanizer. There is no denying that. I sat in his restaurant and watched him slime all over my mother with my brother and I right there at the table.
Riggo was a huge drunk
The Hogs were drunks and not only drank on the teams property in a facility but even practiced drunk! Plus the coach knew it!
Dexter.....
Alvin Walton the head hunter
Timmy Smith

I mean, we had our share of drama in a decade....I don't know if we would have the pride we do now if the WaPo and other rags had their way.

All those things are true, but also remember that Gibbs wasn't always near as popular in the 80s with the masses as he is now with the long time fanatics. Every time there was a problem or the team wasn't doing well, the media and many fans were all over Gibbs. I remember my high school math teacher ranting and raving about Gibbs in math class every Monday for a year right up until Doug Williams won the superbowl lol.

Having said all that, there were 3 big differences between now and then:

1. The team wasn't owned by Snyder(Snyder has done a lot to antagonize the Washinton media imo)
2. The internet didn't exist
3. The team won most of the time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.