• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What should they do with RG3

Lol. There's no reason to get so worked up. Here's where you are obviously wrong:

He's already gone through battles with alcohol, and has lost two NFL jobs because of it. He continues to drink.

Now is that a fact or an opinion?

Exactly. His risk management in both his personal and professional life is bad. That's a fact.

Obviously you've never (based on this statement) had someone very close to you deal with alcoholism. It's on certain levels a chemical dependency that is as close to a drug dependency as you can get. It clouds your judgement and can completely overwhelm your life. He's taken it upon himself to see that what he was doing was not good. He understands that, but to believe that ANYONE who was completely engulfed in alcoholism can easily have zero control of proper 'risk management' type thinking. It doesn't come down to risk with alcoholism. That being said, someone aware of their own personal situation can mature and understand themselves better when not looking through the foggy glasses of dependency. I myself have been put through alcohol counseling, and in the eyes of the court, as well as my counselor, I was as much an alcoholic as the homeless man sitting outside the liquor store. In my moments of drinking I did some really stupid things that I probably should not have survived. I look back on those and understand what I did wrong, and have learned where I personally need to draw lines. To this day I still drink alcohol, I just make sure I have a DD. Does that mean I'm a failure at 'risk management?' I don't believe so, just means I've seen the error of my ways and make sure that I keep track of myself.

Your statement is your opinion. That his alcohol history was the way it was because he CHOSE to take that risk, instead of looking at a guy who very well could have just been learning more about himself the whole time.

As far as what they should do - I don't know. A lot of good ideas here so far. Avoiding the $16M option is probably foremost. If Robert stays on - how many questions a week is Jay gonna get about him anyway?

As far as what they might do? Scot outright cut Matt Flynn & ate his $10M signing bonus in favor of Wilson. Not the same scenario but he does think outside the box.

What the hell does his personal habits have to do with anything? Have we seen anything credible on him drinking again?

Yes. In his last interview on the subject, he admitted that he still drinks. But only one beer in a night at that time.

Yes. In his last interview on the subject, he admitted that he still drinks. But only one beer in a night at that time.
Dude, unless you want people to attack you with your own personal past demons you shouldn't do it yourself. We are all respectful like that here or at least we should try to be.

And I've never met someone who drinks a beer that makes horrible decisions because of it

As far as what they should do - I don't know. A lot of good ideas here so far. Avoiding the $16M option is probably foremost. If Robert stays on - how many questions a week is Jay gonna get about him anyway?
If they win, few.

If they keep winning, even fewer.

What do you mean 'Risk Management'... ?

Maybe I'm failing to grasp the reference.

His bad risk management is on full display, far beyond the alcohol.

Risk management is simply defined as risk vs. reward.

Extending RG3 had a HUGE amount of risk, with very little reward. The upside was that we could potentially save $4 million next year, if he became a great player and stayed healthy. That's it. The risks were much bigger.

And he continues to display that bad management right now, although it won't be visible to most.

What's the only thing he could possibly do right now to make that player option even worse?

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer
To answer a logistical question: $16M option/injury guarantee travels with RG3 if traded or claimed. Makes it tough for Skins to deal him.

So they can trade without a hit. However, the option makes it virtually impossible - my original point. He would need to agree to drop the option if any trade takes place - i.e. a new contract. This year is still fully guaranteed.

McD5 said:
And he continues to display that bad management right now, although it won't be visible to most.
Captain Bizzaro Strikes Again!!!

Obviously you've never (based on this statement) had someone very close to you deal with alcoholism. It's on certain levels a chemical dependency that is as close to a drug dependency as you can get. It clouds your judgement and can completely overwhelm your life. He's taken it upon himself to see that what he was doing was not good. He understands that, but to believe that ANYONE who was completely engulfed in alcoholism can easily have zero control of proper 'risk management' type thinking. It doesn't come down to risk with alcoholism. That being said, someone aware of their own personal situation can mature and understand themselves better when not looking through the foggy glasses of dependency. I myself have been put through alcohol counseling, and in the eyes of the court, as well as my counselor, I was as much an alcoholic as the homeless man sitting outside the liquor store. In my moments of drinking I did some really stupid things that I probably should not have survived. I look back on those and understand what I did wrong, and have learned where I personally need to draw lines. To this day I still drink alcohol, I just make sure I have a DD. Does that mean I'm a failure at 'risk management?' I don't believe so, just means I've seen the error of my ways and make sure that I keep track of myself.

Your statement is your opinion. That his alcohol history was the way it was because he CHOSE to take that risk, instead of looking at a guy who very well could have just been learning more about himself the whole time.

I've had 3 DUIs myself. And you're right, it causes you to make bad decisions. It cost his 2 dream jobs in the NFL with championship franchises.

That could be the disease part. But that's just part of it.

I've had 3 DUIs myself. And you're right, it causes you to make bad decisions. It cost his 2 dream jobs in the NFL with championship franchises.

That could be the disease part. But that's just part of it.

Sounds like your risk management could use some work too then...

So picking up the option was bad risk management. Everyone of course now wishes that wouldn't have happened.

On a side note, when Bruce Allen came out 5 days after the fact and said "extending RG3 was a no-brainer" every person on earth should have immediately known that it was the exact opposite.

That was the death hit.

Sounds like your risk management could use some work too then...

Definitely. My last DUI was 21 years ago, and it never cost me even a menial job--let alone a top NFL job.

Once again, you're speculating he's showing issues just because you don't like his decision. This has nothing to do with his drinking but your own problem with the Griffin situation.

Nothing has happened yet. No money has been paid. As of right now, picking up the option has cost, nothing.

That's the fact. If you know what that is. :)

So what's the only way the team could possibly make the player option decision worse?

What's the only bad risk management decision we could possibly make right now?

One with almost no upside, and gigantic downside?

Theoretically, they could cut Robert the very day he's medically cleared at a cost of nothing other than whatever the remainder of his rookie signing bonus is.

Personally, I think that's what they need to do if McLovin is serious about moving on cleanly.

Nick

So what's the only way the team could possibly make the player option decision worse?

What's the only bad risk management decision we could possibly make right now?

One with almost no upside, and gigantic downside?
Why don't you tell us. Since your opinion is the only thing that matters to you.

Definitely. My last DUI was 21 years ago, and it never cost me even a menial job--let alone a top NFL job.

you're still looking at it like he was looking at drinking as a risk.... He might not have, and still may not, evaluate it as a risk. He knows himself much better then we do. It may not be risky for him. He's absolutely made some mistakes, and allowing drinking to have a major impact on his personal life would appear to have been a bad decision, but I don't believe that should be used when determining his ability to be a GM.. something he was VERY effective at throughout the entire process of his 'issue.'

you're still looking at it like he was looking at drinking as a risk.... He might not have, and still may not, evaluate it as a risk. He knows himself much better then we do. It may not be risky for him. He's absolutely made some mistakes, and allowing drinking to have a major impact on his personal life would appear to have been a bad decision, but I don't believe that should be used when determining his ability to be a GM.. something he was VERY effective at throughout the entire process of his 'issue.'

1. His disease, handling of the disease or poor risk management has already cost him the world both personally and professionally. That's a fact. Example number 1.

2. The decision to pick up the player option was awful risk management. Low reward, huge risk. That's example number 2 of bad risk management in his professional life.

Anyone hear Ryan Clark on Mike and Mike this morning on RGIII? Two interesting points of discussion.

1. They point blank asked him what RGIII was like as a teammate. Ryan said he's the best kind of teammate. Works hard, comes in early, does all the conditioning, nice guy, etc. He did say Robert didn't have deep locker room relationships (paraphrasing there). He said a lot of guys don't hang out with teammates outside of work especially if you have a family, but that most usually had one or two guys that you always hung with in the locker room, watching film, drills, etc. He said Robert didn't appear to have those types of relationships which isn't a bad thing on him, but may mean guys don't gut it out for him as much because he's not 'my boy' in the sense of hanging out with him.
(Edit to add) He also said Robert would make great throws in practice, but then could make decisions that didn't make sense. If that continued, I could see why they don't need a lot of pre-season game time to decide.

2. When asked if it would be a distraction to have him around, he said Robert wouldn't be the distraction because he will handle it professionally. Any distraction would be the media asking questions every week and wondering if he should be playing. Most guys on the show thought he would be cut to avoid that type of circus which will happen regardless of how Robert handles it. They all assumed no one would trade for him. Many of them thought he could probably be successful somewhere else without the circus. Especially if he went to Philly.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.