• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Joe Barry Report Card

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
A change of subject, is in order, in Redskin-land, as well as a departure from excess drama, especially considering the importance of this subject.

What are the opinions thus far, of Barry's defense ?

I have mixed feelings.

In each of the 3 first preseason games, the opponent has put up points rather quickly, and the defense has at times looked messy and reminiscent of the same old Skins - horrible tackling attempts, and DB's/Safeties letting receivers bust home-free beyond the whole secondary. But after the first few series, usually when the backups start to come in, the defense has seemed to solidify. So if it was a scheme or D-Coordinator issue, then the performance probably would not improved as the game went along, and the backups entering the game.

So, is the slow start of the defense in each game, more an indication of the talent level of the starters ? Or is it just that the team needs more time to acclimate to Barry's "system" ? Or something else ?

Last edited:
A change of subject, is in order, in Redskin-land, as well as a departure from excess drama, especially considering the importance of this subject.

What are the opinions thus far, of Barry's defense ?

I have mixed feelings.

In each of the 3 first preseason games, the opponent has put up points rather quickly, and the defense has at times looked messy and reminiscent of the same old Skins - horrible tackling attempts, and DB's/Safeties letting receivers bust home-free beyond the whole secondary. But after the first few series, usually when the backups start to come in, the defense has seemed to solidify. So if it was a scheme or D-Coordinator issue, then the performance probably would not improved as the game went along, and the backups entering the game.

So, is the slow start of the defense in each game, more an indication of the talent level of the starters ? Or is it just that the team needs more time to acclimate to Barry's "system" ? Or something else ?

The defense will need guys on the back end to make tackles if we are going to be more aggressive, and the guys up front need to beat the guys in front of them. The quarter vs Stafford and the half vs Flacco we saw a lot of the same problems. Not getting pressure and not getting off the field on 3rd down. Amerson looks great one play, then he slips and as Doc Walker says, the band starts playing. We wont know how vanilla Barry's defense has played until the opener. The defense is better I really do believe. How much better? We will see vs Miami.

Once we get to see what our starting defense, and offense looks like, running actual schemes designed for specific games/teams, we'll start to get an answer.

Until then, all we've seen is meaningless preaseason play. Impossible to assess in any meaningful way.

It is, however, a welcome change of subject. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
As Ax says, we can't really read too much into anything in the preseason. I will only add that it appears our tackling problems have not magically disappeared despite my sacrificing my neighbor's incredibly irritating barking dog.

On to the cat!

Shockingly good so far.

I thought he might have been a terrible pick, but our defense lays the lumber, and our depth players were absolutely swarming in the Baltimore game.

Add Kerrigan and we should be solid up front.

The safeties continue to be our biggest problem on the team, but what else can we do? Just have to draft one next season.

this defense can't possibly be worse than what we witnessed the last two seasons.

I think they have improved enough to keep us in the game against a lotta teams.

Barry has learned his lesson from his tenure with the Lions and has pledged to create a top 30 defense here in Washington.

I think I was expecting a Wilfork style play from Pot Roast so I am a little disappointed. I think the pressure up front needs to get a lot better because the guys on the back end are struggling.

I'd give it a C so far.

Mike, I hear you, but remember also that unlike rookies and backups hoping to stick/stay on, veteran players understand what preseason is all about. Guys like Knighton, Hatcher, Paea ... they haven't opened the throttle yet. When the D hits the field for that first couple of series against Miami, that's when I'll be focusing intently on the what level of impact our offseason additions on the DL are looking to have this year.

Well, I know we are both hoping that is the case. I have no problems believing it but I did hope to see more from them.

I do have to say that Knighton has brought a big leadership and vocalization role to the team. He has been very supportive of players, the locker room, and talking to the media about not letting outside shit get to them. I appreciate that.

Mike, I hear you, but remember also that unlike rookies and backups hoping to stick/stay on, veteran players understand what preseason is all about. Guys like Knighton, Hatcher, Paea ... they haven't opened the throttle yet. When the D hits the field for that first couple of series against Miami, that's when I'll be focusing intently on the what level of impact our offseason additions on the DL are looking to have this year.

Trying to find some parallels between this D and 2004. Anyone remember how the 2004 Defense looked in the preseason? I can't remember. Was it against Tampa when all the pieces finally played together for the first time?

As an aside... wow, that was already 11 years ago?

Nick

Hell, I can barely remember last week, brother. :cool:

What I do recall though, s that it is almost always a mistake to try to project regular season results based on what we see--and do not see--in preseason. This season maybe even more than usual. The 2016 defense is essentially a blank canvas--new system, coordinator, assistants, a whole mess of new key players--and we have no way of knowing what Barry has gone into each preseason game wanting to look at.

Anyway ... we'll start to see in 13 days.

The defense will need guys on the back end to make tackles if we are going to be more aggressive, and the guys up front need to beat the guys in front of them. The quarter vs Stafford and the half vs Flacco we saw a lot of the same problems. Not getting pressure and not getting off the field on 3rd down. Amerson looks great one play, then he slips and as Doc Walker says, the band starts playing. We wont know how vanilla Barry's defense has played until the opener. The defense is better I really do believe. How much better? We will see vs Miami.

From what Cooley was saying the other day, we were running some pretty vanilla defenses...they seem to think he will be coaching a heavy blitz package...who knows?

Well I sure hope the "vanilla scheme" theory is true, but I'm not holding my breath.
Based on our history, it seems countless times we've used the word "vanilla" to excuse poor preseason play, when it never even improved in the regular season.

The problem is, everyone is serving up vanilla. Vanilla D against vanilla O. I don't think that's relevant. But I do think that the goal of pre-season is mostly to evaluate personnel - that does matter. Our #1 priority isn't winning games and scheming to do so. I think that's why pre-season success or failure doesn't necessarily translate to how teams perform in the regular season.

I used to buy into the whole " vanilla O and D" theory but over the years have learned that most of that stuff is just an excuse fans use to deny putrid play when they see it.

I'll know by halftime vs the Dolphins if we've gotten better on defense.

My observation over the years has been:

If you can't tackle in preseason,it ain't showin' up in the regular season.

Same goes with your pass rush. If all your starters are playing and you still can't generate a pass rush, don't hold your breath waiting for it to show up in the regular season.

In 2004, we saw flashes of how stout the D would be.

In 2005 preseason, when Vick was considered to be unstoppable( at that time) remember that D knocking him out of a preseason game? I do.

I don't believe you can hide a good D in preseason,even if you try. Some aspect of good play will always show itself.

What I do recall though, is that it is almost always a mistake to try to project regular season results based on what we see--and do not see--in preseason. This season maybe even more than usual.

OM....does that generalization include QB play?

Just having fun :)

all...how do we feel about the run defense this preseason? I don't see any way toward not feeling positive about that. it's not everything....but it portends a good thing and pressures offenses to rethink their gameplans. the physical ability that has been absent for years is now there on this line.

yup...pass defense is a big ?

Run D looks good for sure. I have a hard time getting too worked up about specific play when some players aren't even in there and we aren't calling a D the way we normally do in season. That said I'll be looking at two things this season as indicators of change:

1. Secondary coverage. Will we start to press and use scheme to our advantage or will we continue to play 10-15 yds off on a 2nd or 3rd and 6?

2. In game adjustments. Haslett was pretty good at scheming the first couple of drives or if what he was doing was working and the opposing OC was too stupid to adjust. What he was miserable at and opponents took advantage of was adjustments. Our D never seemed to adjust to what the other team was doing and it was ugly in the 2nd half more than it should have been. Can Barry adjust, can he think on his feet? We'll see.

The one thing I don't like hearing, and most of the local media have talked about it, is that Barry will use more zone.

I hate zone.
I loathe zone.

Until it actually starts keeping our opponents out of the end zone.

Zone only works when pressure gets the QB off his feet, or, against inexperienced QB's.

No pressure, and even a decent QB will move the ball against you.
A good/great QB will gut you like a deer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.