• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Outside Linebacker

Bulldog

The Legend
Reaction score
Yes, Junior Galette fell out of our lap before we even got to see him on the field this year.

But we never counted on having him after free agency and the draft concluded in May.

He was a 'Christmas' surprise so to speak.

That said this team and the coaches look awfully down in the mouth about our current situation where we have one pro bowler in Kerrigan and TWO consecutive second round picks to develop at OLB.

Imagine if we had two second rounders behind Garcon and Jackson or behind Knighton and Hatcher.

We should be talking about an embarrassment of riches.

Instead we are hearing that Murphy is lacking this and that while Preston Smith is lacking X and Y as well and neither is 'ready'.

Man, this has to be the only 4-12 team in the NFL where it is this hard for draft picks to get on the field.

Either we have a coaching staff that likes to incubate and over-nurture or we are still failing on the draft board.

The Saints picked up Galette as an undrafted free agent. Right off the street.

Meanwhile we hear Murphy but also Preston Smith lack the speed and athleticism to scare defenses as outside rushers.

If that's the case why did we select them? 😳

Other teams seem able to find 6'3, 260 pounders that can hit a 4.7 and pressure the qb in the 3-4.

It seems we keep drafting guys that would be better suited to being SAM linebackers in a traditional 4-3.

Hmm.

Trent is heading into his second year, and Smith hasn't played a game yet.

We could let them play a bit before throwing dirt on the bodies. :)

Yeah, there's a lot of wrist slittin' going on for not a single damn down that counts being played.

Man up, boys!

I am not doing anything other than listening to what the coaches say and do, how they react to the Galette injury and the expectation these other guys are going to be the next man up, etc.

Doesn't seem like anyone is that stoked up in the organization to seeing Smith or Murphy.

Sure haven't heard anyone say 'watch No. XX, he's the real deal and a comer for us.'

The team seems to be lukewarm on these guys.

Are you feeling a different buzz?

The way the team seized on Galette when he was released and the funeral dirge fallout over his injury left me with the impression the Redskins aren't as hot on their own picks as they perhaps should be.

Talk is cheap, and more important, meaningless.

I'll wait to see what actually happens before I spend any time worrying about it.

Galette got hurt less than 24 hours ago..

I think we are all pretty happy about how stacked we are on the DL and at LB. I have heard and talked to my friends about Preston being huge but how I REALLY have liked how Murphy came in to camp.

Most people were impressed and shocked by the pure size and speed of Smith when he played...he looked like a big ass beast out there. Doesn't mean he will dominate, but it is nice to see.

Yeah, I don't think anyone at the Park was going to be happy to have lost a potentially strong edge rusher, but I also don't buy into the notion that before he fell out of the sky, they were ready to cash in their chips on Murphy or the rook, either.

I see the biggest impact coming in the early part of the season, as the new unit--under new management and scheme and with all he new bodies--learns to play together, and now may have to rely more on scheme to get pressure than on one or two guys making individual plays.

Plus given Galette was a known commodity, he would have drawn attention from opposing offenses, making it easier theoretically for other guys to get favorable matchups. Doubt that Murphy or Smith will see a lot of double-teams the first few games, until and unless they start showing they're needed.

That's one tangible I think has been lost, and that kinda sucks. But in a season I don't think any of us expect to see be anything more than a growth year, I'm not sure the long-term impact is something to go all dark and stormy over.

Here's a thought---it's an opportunity for the young guys to step up! :)

You guys are misunderstanding me.

What is upsetting to me is that I as a fan seem to have more optimism about our picks than some of these coaches.

Gruden looks defeated already and the regular season is still weeks away.

Based on what, BD? Sincere question. I honestly haven't seen or talked to Jay or the other coaches today, so I'm honestly asking. Are you saying they're hanging their heads based on what media guys have said, or is there something I've missed?

Supposedly Gruden has been upbeat on the practice field, where he appears 'glum' is at the podium where he's had to reiterate the same ol' same ol'.

He usually goes through the injury list, responds to the incessant Griff Q's, a few other Q's involving pretty much stuff he can't/won't answer until the final roster is picked and stumbles around the Q's seeking fodder for the media's speculation about who and why the lack of production by the first team offense .

The locals took him to be 'shook up' coming off of JR's ankle thing, their opinion. No reason to expect Gruden not to be a little down after losing the unexpected 'gift' of a potentially dominant pass rushing tandem, doesn't mean the original plan on using the draftees to create the anticipated uptick over last year is lost.

Well, his body language looks terrible, at least to those of us on the outside looking in.

He doesn't look confident or in charge of his team.

He looks like Spurrier or Zorn in their second seasons, ie right before they departed.

Not trying to compare but Gibbs' body language always led me astray, how many head coaches have we witnessed on their knees praying for a good outcome on a given play?

Will admit tho, his sideline demeanor always appeared stoic leading up to that prayer move.

Anyone have his podium time on video during his first five games, like to read that body lanquage.

Britt McHenry ‏@BrittMcHenry
Dhall on Junior Galette injury: "he was the missing piece to our D. The best pass rusher I've ever been around hands down & it's not close"

Guess he missed the practices against watt. Hall talks more than he's worth now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.