• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Campbell makes the best of a bad situation

Sarge

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/13/AR2009121303139.html

OAKLAND, CALIF. Another name surfaced in the unseemly drama this week, and again the person cheated on said nothing about the young, exotic thing on the other end of the line.

Vinny Cerrato's crime may have only been a harmless interview with the Notre Dame junior on his weekly radio show. But this comes after dalliances with Mark Sanchez and Jay Cutler last spring -- when he felt he could trade up, jettison the only Redskin behind center in 10 years to start and finish a 16-game season. Just last month, Cerrato flew to see his old college coach Mack Brown at Texas, where Colt McCoy bedazzled the brain trust the day before the Cowboys game.

I am really starting to want Campbell back and for the team to reload at Offensive Line. I would love to see them spend the first two picks on linemen this year. Nothing would make me happier.

Campbell will never be Payton Manning. He's a bus driver. But it's obvious that his play elevates as the play of his team does. Contrast that with Jemarcus Russell, who drags a team down like a freaking stone.

Given that, I wouldn't mind seeing Campbell come back while we shore up the rest of the team, especially the line. Of course if he wanted superstar money I'd probably let him walk.

Campbell isn't the guy you feel comfortable with when in the 4th you need a score to win or preserve victory. However I will say that he gives you a full 60 minutes. He is very medium.

I have been impressed with how he has fought and played last 4 or 5 weeks. Like the article said, he isn't the problem.

We would be smart to sign him to an extension and concentrate on drafting OL and elsewhere. To draft a McCoy or Clausen will only set this team back even further. Would they stand a chance behind this OL?

Question is would Campbell even want to come back with way Vinny and Dan have treated him?

I just can't see the FO bringing him back and I'm not sure sure Jason would even want to play with the Skins anymore. The ONLY way I could see it happening is if Vinny gets canned and Danny takes a step back and lets the new GM and HC make that decision. If Danny stays in charge of the QB situation, Campbell might get the tender offer that allows the Skins to get a draft pick but I would be extremely surprised if he remains.

My fear is that Danny will keep Vinnie, get rid of Zorn and Campbell and spend our first rounder+ on whatever QB meets his fancy.

In other words, get rid of what is finally starting to work despite all odds and keep the same general philosophy; make a big off season splash.

The fact is that Campbell is now probably a better quarterback than Joe Theismann, with a lot less to work with except that if Campbell asked to join the hogs, they would probably say yes.

I think that concern is more than valid Alaskan. He sure did it with Marty who appeared to be getting something together after that 0-5 start to finish 8-8 so there is some history to support you.

If Danny gets rid of Vinny and Zorn and the new GM and HC want a QB in round 1, it would be harder for me to consider it a "splash" pick than if Vinny and Danny make that decision.

I know it's his team but I would prefer Danny not even be IN the draft room ever again.

My fear is that Danny will keep Vinnie, get rid of Zorn and Campbell and spend our first rounder+ on whatever QB meets his fancy.

That is probably exactly what is going to happen.

Doug Williams was a bus driver too as was Mark Rypien. I'd even say that Joey T was a talented bus driver in comparison to a Peyton Manning. A VERY talented bus driver but he never did what Joey did.

If Campbell comes back next year I'd be shocked. It breaks my heart to see him get beat up like he does though. The kid is constantly picking himself up or getting helped up.

I agree with you about Williams and Rypien. Joe Theismann was better than that, in my opinion. The Hogs were very young and raw when we won our first superbowl, and Theismann made a lot happen through sheer force of will that year. The next year he was the league MVP.

I would absolutely put Campbell on the same level as Rypien. We won with Ryp because we had horse up front, not because Rypien was a star. Given a decent line we could do ok with Campbell until lightning strikes and we find our Tom Brady.

But like you say, Campbell may be thrilled to get the hell out of here, and I wouldn't blame him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.