• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

more than a little unimpressed

Rymanofthenorth

BGObsessed
Reaction score
I live in the warmest city in the coldest provinc
Alma Mater
UTEP
Hankerson is lighting it up in Atlanta, and the Kid we should have drafted is lighting up for the jets, im willing to give this a full season but whoever was our WR coach while hank was here needs a boot in the ass and I am hoping scherff plays well enough that we can forget losing a one in ten years dlineman

Shanahan had 3 different WR coaches in 4 years here. It was a complete mess.

Meh...Hankerson tore it up in preseason here too. I'll be impressed if he does it during real games for once.

I thought Hank looked good, as well. But he caught 3 passes for 15 yards and a td.

He's not Jerry Rice yet.

Let's not worry about what Hankerson or Jarvis Jenkins does as a backup on the Falcons or Bears.

The simple fact is we waited around 3-4 years for these players to develop into consistent starters, given their draft position, and they failed to perform at anything close to an NFL starting caliber performer.

The fact Jenkins was on this team for 4 years and started the last 2 was more symptomatic of what we DIDN'T have on defense.

Hopefully those days are behind us.

I don't think Scherff was the BPA based on physical talent alone.

You would have to say that guys like Leonard Williams and some of the outside rushers that slid were better physical specimens.

What Scherff has is a combination of talent and physical toughness/durability that this team has sorely lacked. McCloughan is hoping over time that Scherff becomes the kind of leader on the line that we have not had since Bostic and Grimm were here in the 1980's.

When the issue of team leadership came up a couple of years ago, fans and media alike pointed to London Fletcher and then had a LOT of troubling identifying any other players that showed they were vocal leaders and visible mentors.

I think McCloughan and Callahan realized that Scherff was at least a 50/50 shot to move inside given his pass pro issues in college on the outside.

But a guy that can come in and learn to dominate in the interior can be just as valuable in the WCO with the shorter drops and accent on the quick release by the qb.

Interior rushers are at a premium and increasingly the guys that can neutralize them are as well.

It's going to require a little bit of patience to judge whether or not we screwed the pooch by taking Scherff over Williams.

I was among those jonesing for us to take Williams, but only based on the pre-draft hype, our anemic pass rush, and looking at the same highlight vids everyone else was looking at. Sacks look a lot more exciting on youtube than a guy backpedalling in pass pro.

But I "got" what Mclovin' was doing taking Scherff at #5. The OL has been such a disaster for so long that grabbing the consensus best OL in the draft was not just a screaming need pick, it was also a statement pick. And we know he tried to trade down, but there weren't takers, and the Giants were reportedly poised to take him at #8. All the talk about finding football players, tough guys, meat and potatoes guys, to start rebuilding the LOS and the culture, that speaks to me. And I think it should speak to all Redskins fans given the past 20 years.

There is also the long-term projections on these two guys. Williams is mercurial, a little different cat. There were questions about his motivation. Truth is we won't know for a few years what kind of man he is, and whether or not the preseason flashes translate into long term stability and a cornerstone type player. If he turns out to be Reggie White, we're going to all rue the day we let him get away, and that's even IF Scherff turns out to be John Hannah or Russ Grimm.

In four or five years, this discussion will have some meaningful, empirical evidence to consider. We'll know if preseason flashes from Williams in his rookie year mean he's going to become a consistent, professional disruptive force on the defensive line, and we'll know if McLoughan was right in projecting Scherff to be a rock on an OL that has been sadly lacking in those for longer than many of us can remember.

Just hoping we remember the bigger picture as we go week-to-week this season, trying to pass judgment on how the first round of the 2015 draft played out, based on whether or not Williams got a sack that loops repeatedly on Sportscenter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.