• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Doom and Gloom begins

Well, you can't continue to look people straight in the eye and tell them Griffin should be the starter when Cousins has clearly outplayed him and has a much better grasp of the offense.

In the end result arm strength and foot speed are irrelevant if you can't process what you see on the field fast enough.

It's not that Robert is dumb or slow-witted.

It's just that Cousins has a better feel for the sport at the NFL level.

Heath Shuler was another high first rounder that couldn't adjust to the speed of the NFL game.

But a few years later after football he owned a real estate development company and became a Congressman.
While Griffin is considered super smart book knowledge wise, the results of Heath's Shuler's Wonderlic Test had rocks calling out his intelligence on and off the field.

The Wonderlic test is not my first "go to" when it comes to estimating a QBs ability to handle the position. Sometimes it "fits" sometimes it doesn't...

Tony Romo-37

Blaine Gabbert-42

Patrick Ramsey-32

Terry Bradshaw-15

Donovan McNabb-14

Jim Kelly-15

Jeff George-10

Ryan Fitzpatrick-48

Eli Manning-39

Peyton Manning-29

Sam Bradford-37

Troy Aikman-29

John Elway-29

Just to list a few...

Link:NFLStatAnalysis: QB Wonderlic Scores......

I think Cousins deserves the chance to start with Garcon and Jackson on the field along with Morris in the backfield.

But that's just me.

What I do remember from the past is we had a quarterback, Trent Green, that sat on the bench behind Gus Frerotte and 41 year old Jeff Hostetler and Norv didn't give him much of a chance in the regular season despite playing very well in the preseason against the aforementioned second and third teamers.

But when Frerotte and Hostetler were hurt and benched in 1998, Green came off the bench to help the team go 6-2 in the final 8 games, before moving on to the Rams and then Chiefs where he was a pro bowl quarterback for 4 or 5 years in the 2000's for KC.

Jay Gruden is looking to ruin this team. He deals in drama, plays mccoy when he's hurt, lies to the media, gives up on games, and became a fat ass.

He's not head coach material. He's an assistant at best.

What I find amusing are the fans and media outlets that proclaim "the book has been written" on Cousins after just nine starts,scattered over three seasons.

I'm 45 and started watching Redskins football when I was 10 and over those 35 years of watching the Skins and around the league, I know one thing: Nine starts is too small a sample size to write any player off.

Cousins has flashed in games and in others, he's looked horrible. That sounds like a typical rookie Qb to me.

You know who else had confidence problems and threw picks when he first set foot on the field?

Mark Rypien. A flat out turnover machine and a player who Charles Mann once said : " We could look into his eyes on Sunday and know whether or not we had a chance that day."

Gibbs even benched him early in his career because of the turnovers and confidence issues......but he had the patience to develop him.

By today's logic, Rypien never sees the field again...much like folks within the fan base wish on Cousins.

It would be a shame to give up on Cousins and watch him pull a Stan Humphries and lead somebody else to a playoff berth, where anything can happen.

I hope we at least give him a fair shot with the club's full backing if Bob fails to step up and take the job. Need to be sure of what we have in Kirk,just as much as we do Bob.

I just wish we could have a franchise Qb here, something I've never seen in my football lifetime.

Who the **** do you think you are, espousing wisdom and experience and the rest of that BS?!!!

Gruden goes on camera and says "it's not roberts call to say if he has a concussion or not." Yet Robert never said he was cleared...he specifically said to ask the team.

Once again he throws him under the bus.

He says he's looking out for roberts future but he's a ****ing liar. They said they will retest him in 1 to 2 weeks to see if he can play.

How ****ing typical he's going to be tested right before week 1 and leave him to get slaughtered.

Mike - serious question - are you suggesting the neurologist who ruled Griffin out for tomorrow night is on the payroll? The neurologist in question is an NFL physician, not a team MD, Robert Kurtzke MD. I agree the timing of this is weird, but after taking a deep breath, it's hard to imagine a scenario where an NFL doctor makes a ruling based on Jay Gruden's preferences.

I can't see that happening.

He said he was cleared. We can't deny that.

Griffin was cleared for full practice and did for days. We can't deny that.

Gruden named him the starter and said he would start. We can't deny that.

All of a sudden, the night before the game that was going to either help or break Griffin, he's benched and told he will be reevaluated in 1 to 2 weeks.

That doesn't sound suspicious to you in the least? Griffin specifically wouldn't answer the question and was shit on big time for it. Who lied? Who convinced who to change their mind? Are they just making excuses to bench him?

I don't give a rats ****ing ass if cousins starts. What I care about is that liar head coach who holds personal grudges and even starts injured players like mccoy just because of his grudge. He's a joke, he's an assistant at best.

All of a sudden, the night before the game that was going to either help or break Griffin, he's benched and told he will be reevaluated in 1 to 2 weeks.

I honestly didn't see tonight's game as a make or break for Griffin and i'm not a RG3 supporter. I still think he starts, and should, even if Cousins lights it up. I don't think i've ever heard of a starting Qb who lost his job in the preseason unless it was a competition or injury.

If Gruden does end up starting Cousins the 1st game of the season i might start buying into this conspiracy.

On the other hand(LOL), some believe, me included, that someone has gotten into Gruden's ear about RG3 and was forced to name him the starter. Now, if the higher ups have changed their mind and plotted this to allow Gruden start who he wants...well, we all probably need to find another team to root for.

The problem I have with your point is that while yes, starters usually don't lose their job to injury, the fact remains that Griffin really didn't EARN the starting job in any meaningful capacity.

Did Griffin at any time in the 2014 season or this offseason really SHOW that he was the best quarterback?

All we have is a forced Jay Gruden say in February that Griffin was going to be the starter and that was before most of the offseason work had begun.

It was clearly a move by ownership, along with the option exercise, to boost Griffin's confidence and hope that he came into camp re-energized and ready to make a difference from Day 1.

But you can't fool these players out there.

As Doc Walker and others have said, the players see who knows the offense, who is really committed to the TEAM and to his teammates to get better and allow them to get better.

Right or wrong, it appears that Griffin has about as much popularity on this team now that Jay Schroeder had late in the 1987 season.

Team captains evidently went to Gibbs and told him the team had lost faith in Schroeder and they didn't feel confident going into the playoffs with him as the starting quarterback.

Other than two snaps in the Super Bowl while Doug Williams was getting his knee looked at, Schroeder never was under center for the Redskins again and was traded to Oakland.

The problem I have with your point is that while yes, starters usually don't lose their job to injury, the fact remains that Griffin really didn't EARN the starting job in any meaningful capacity.
Did Griffin at any time in the 2014 season or this offseason really SHOW that he was the best quarterback?

All we have is a forced Jay Gruden say in February that Griffin was going to be the starter and that was before most of the offseason work had begun.

It was clearly a move by ownership, along with the option exercise, to boost Griffin's confidence and hope that he came into camp re-energized and ready to make a difference from Day 1.

But you can't fool these players out there.

As Doc Walker and others have said, the players see who knows the offense, who is really committed to the TEAM and to his teammates to get better and allow them to get better.

Right or wrong, it appears that Griffin has about as much popularity on this team now that Jay Schroeder had late in the 1987 season.

Team captains evidently went to Gibbs and told him the team had lost faith in Schroeder and they didn't feel confident going into the playoffs with him as the starting quarterback.Other than two snaps in the Super Bowl while Doug Williams was getting his knee looked at, Schroeder never was under center for the Redskins again and was traded to Oakland.
"the fact remains that Griffin really didn't EARN the starting job in any meaningful capacity"
It's only a fact to everyone without the required inside knowledge to know what they were looking at. And, oh BTW, nobody did. Tie goes to Griffin.

"a forced Jay Gruden"
Prove it...................I know you can't. But it's a popular OPINION. I'll give you that.

"clearly a move by ownership, along with the option exercise"
I realize this too is a popular OPINION. Regurgitated, ad nauseam, because fits so neatly into a predisposed position.

"it appears"
So does Casper, the Friendly Ghost.

"Team captains evidently went to Gibbs and told him the team had lost faith in Schroeder and they didn't feel confident going into the playoffs with him as the starting quarterback"
If memory serves me, it wasn't as much due to a lack of confidence in his ability. It was racially motivated. Schroeder had said some things, in the locker room, that were deemed racist, concerning Doug replacing him in a game. He lost all support after that. And his ability didn't matter anymore.

Doom and Gloom is having to hear Troy Aikman comment during a Sunday preseason game how Dysfunctional the 'Skins organization is.

SNyder has earned no benefit of the doubt so IMO, prove that what is obvious to most, isn't true.

speculation is still peculation: pulling generalizations from specific orifices.

it's also based on a key assumption: that observed behaviors from 5, 10 years or more ago capture present behaviors. in my mind, the singular hiring of McL dispels that thought in one fell swoop. McL has been in the business a long time and knows the path to success. this is not the sort of individual Snyder hired in the past. this may not be conclusive evidence of a sea change, but in my mind it is a major change signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.