• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Doom and Gloom begins

BnGBuns

The Rookie
Reaction score
Rival Allegiance
After the second pre-season game, the doom and gloom has set in for most reporters or websites that are reporting on us.

Bleacher report, espn, deadspin, nfl.com has a narrative that we are going to go 0-16 for the next four seasons. It is incredibly depressing and makes me believe that they may be right.

Those stations listen to Nickelback. **** em

32df743debd91606febcfe1cf6717c28.jpg

My reaction to a troll site that posts as many memes as articles is this.

Relax, breathe. We ain't been good for 20 years and you've been here. Hang out, have a beer, try the fish.

Very noticeable improvements at Running Back and Safety, and defensive line. We have not even seen some of our best players yet.
We are much deeper at a lot of positions. I would like to see what some of the young WR's can do with the first team. Unless our intent is to stash them.

Eh, Gloom and Doom is like crack, for some.

They want it.
They need it.
They can't do without it.
It's their choice. And boy oh boy do they ever choose it.

I agree with your general mindset Brother Ax that we can't impact how successful our team is, so we might as well be positive and open to the possibilities of positive change, even if I can't emulate it in my fandom.

But where you are awfully wrong is that fans are 'doom and gloom' and enjoy wallowing in it.

This FRANCHISE is doom and gloom. They've mostly sucked and sucked badly for 20 years. It's not really the fans who cheer them on who are the problem. It's really not my friend :)

Very noticeable improvements at Running Back and Safety, and defensive line. We have not even seen some of our best players yet.
We are much deeper at a lot of positions. I would like to see what some of the young WR's can do with the first team. Unless our intent is to stash them.

Agreed (although at safety, let's be honest, would it be possible not to improve?). I think we've added talent. I think where we all need to be more patient and have reasonable expectations is in terms of expecting immediate on-the-field impact. It's going to take more time than we'd like to believe. I think McCloughan knows we have only just started to rebuild this franchise. The continuing rebuild may also include upgrading at coach and QB. That would feel like another Epic failure and it would be unfortunate to have to add to our already exhaustive list of failed recent coaches and QB saviors, but it may be a bitter pill we have to swallow to get back to respectability and fielding a consistent playoff team.

Btw - we are glad you are here! :cheers:

I agree with your general mindset Brother Ax that we can't impact how successful our team is, so we might as well be positive and open to the possibilities of positive change, even if I can't emulate it in my fandom.

But where you are awfully wrong is that fans are 'doom and gloom' and enjoy wallowing in it.

This FRANCHISE is doom and gloom. They've mostly sucked and sucked badly for 20 years. It's not really the fans who cheer them on who are the problem. It's really not my friend :)
Obviously, we don't agree here.

I believe there are many people, who not just in their fandom, but likely their outlook in general, are negative thinkers. It's where their minds go, first. And they are most comfortable there. It's usually a subconscious thing. But there are those who bask in negativity. And seek attention, and the agreement of others, to share in the misery. Granted, they are a minority. But they wail so loudly that they almost drown out everything else. They do indeed exist.

For the rest, they've simply allowed themselves to be defeated by the bad times. They don't mean to. But it's so easy to turn and swim with the tide, that many just say screw it, and give in. Not saying it won't happen to me someday. But I've been undefeated since the mid 60's. I've lost a little skirmish here and there. But I've never suffered a major blow. And, I don't believe I ever will.

Of course, I am Ax. So there's that.

I don't like or understand doom and gloom from fans. This is our team. I will support them regardless and always feel the next play or game will be better. I am realistic in we're not a Super Bowl or playoff contender.

I am going to support them come hell or high water.

We are going to see improvement.

Galette, Smith, Jones, Culliver, Scherff, Moses, etc. will make the club better as we move forward.

The biggest problem in DC has been the slow evolution of Dan Snyder into a respectable NFL owner.

For 15 years he resisted calls for hiring a GM, but has finally done so.

The last vestige of Snyder having operational control is the decision-making regarding Griffin.

Once that link has been broken and McCloughan gets the clearance to move on and develop the qb position, the improvement of the team will come that much faster.

After the second pre-season game, the doom and gloom has set in for most reporters or websites that are reporting on us.

Bleacher report, espn, deadspin, nfl.com has a narrative that we are going to go 0-16 for the next four seasons. It is incredibly depressing and makes me believe that they may be right.

no way man!

think about the large roster change this off season. think about just how talent stricken and atrocious the team was during the Spurrier and other years. it's laughable these folks go in the tank after two pre-seasno games! the media pinheads don't even listen. what has McL been saying? we may not be championship material...yet....but people are gonna know who they played! this is a process.

two pre-season games! for crying out loud. two games that haven't seen the starting secondary yet....or an OLB tandum that is gonna wreak havoc either. yea...we gotta find the answer at QB. but this team is already on the right course regardless of what the final record turns out to be.

sit back and don't get too frustrated. what do they always say? the journey is the best part of getting to the goal.

McL is trying to build a team in every dimension. the media works over-time to tear this franchise down. eff the media. what's the old joke.....what do you call a busload of media types plunging off a cliff? -fill in the punchline-

Last edited by a moderator:
When McCloughan was hired we were one step up from being an expansion team, talent-wise.

One offseason of free agent moves and draft picks is not enough to turn the ship completely around, and anyone that doesn't get that just doesn't get how you build a sports team.

What you do is set standards and force a culture change, replacing self-destructive behaviors with positive ones.

One thing I did see on Thursday night. When McCoy fumbled the ball inside the 5 and the Lions were running for a touchdown, Chris Thompson ran 40 yards downfield to catch the linebacker from behind and take him down.

Do we see that kind of efforts a few years ago here in the preseason? Questionable.

When Portis did it in a preseason game, and dislocted his shoulder, he and Gibbs were chastised for it.

Winners ALWAYS play to win.

Agreed (although at safety, let's be honest, would it be possible not to improve?). I think we've added talent. I think where we all need to be more patient and have reasonable expectations is in terms of expecting immediate on-the-field impact. It's going to take more time than we'd like to believe. I think McCloughan knows we have only just started to rebuild this franchise. The continuing rebuild may also include upgrading at coach and QB. That would feel like another Epic failure and it would be unfortunate to have to add to our already exhaustive list of failed recent coaches and QB saviors, but it may be a bitter pill we have to swallow to get back to respectability and fielding a consistent playoff team.

Glad to be here Boone.

to add to your list of sensible cautions: finding a good QB is hugely difficult. it can take years.

Redskins= Lucy

Fans= Charlie Brown

For the past 20 yrs, whenever the fans thought they were finally going to "kick the ball", Lucy's pulls it away and we wind up flat on our back again.

So it's no surprise at all that fans would head down the doom and gloom path after the way things started off in preseason game 2.

With Scotty on board, Lucy's soon to be relieved of holder duty. :)

Kelly to me has ignored one of the key issues in building a winning team, ie finding players that are talented and durable, capable of playing 16 games a season.

Sam Bradford, DeMarco Murray, Kiko Alonso, etc. some of his key pickups are guys that have had major injury problems that may very well limit what they are capable of doing going forward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.