• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Make Roster Moves 8/21/15

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
August 21, 2015

REDSKINS ACQUIRE TE DEREK CARRIER

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have acquired tight end Derek Carrier from the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for an undisclosed draft pick.

Carrier (6-4, 241) has appeared in 16 career games with one start, all with San Francisco. Last season, he played in 11 games, gaining 105 receiving yards on nine receptions and recording his first career start in Week 3.

Carrier entered the NFL as a college free agent with the Oakland Raiders on May 11, 2012. After being waived by the Raiders that August, he spent the 2012 season on the Philadelphia Eagles’ practice squad. He was waived by the Eagles on Aug. 25, 2013, but signed to the 49ers’ practice squad on Nov. 3, 2013, and was later promoted to the team’s active roster in Week 11 that season.

Carrier played collegiately at Beloit College, where he appeared in 39 games for the Buccaneers, earning All-Midwest Conference honors twice and being named Wisconsin Football Coaches Association Private College Player of the Year as a senior.

Carrier, 25, attended Edgerton (Wisc.) H.S. He was born July 25, 1990.

It sure hurts to have to give up a draft pick for a player SF originally acquired on waivers.

Yeah, 5th rounder is way to much - I figured we were talking a 7th rounder when I heard 'for a draft pick'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a conditional 5th rounder. I've yet to see the conditions, but if he doesn't play much it might cost next-to-nothing.

I also believe it's a 2017 pick.

Got looking around and found this write up on Carrier on a 49ers blog.

49ers roster, 90-in-90 breakdowns: Derek Carrier

Carrier has been with the 49ers for the last two seasons, after entering the NFL with the Oakland Raiders as a 2012 undrafted free agent. Carrier signed with the 49ers practice squad the first week of the 2013 season, and was promoted to the active roster that November.

Carrier appeared in five games in 2013, and then made the 53-man roster out of training camp in 2014. He appeared in 11 games, including a start in Week 3 when both Davis and McDonald were inactive. He finished the season with nine receptions for 105 yards, and one rush for two yards. It was a fairly low key 11 games for Carrier. PFF gave him positive marks for three games, negative marks for one game, and fairly middle of the road marks for six games.

After Week 12, Carrier was placed on injured reserve with a foot injury. He was signed through 2015, but the 49ers gave him a 2-year contract extension locking him up through 2017. He sat out open portions of the offseason workout program due to the foot injury. He was spotted wearing a protective boot on his right foot, but Jim Tomsula said he did not re-fracture his foot.

Why he might improve in 2015:

Assuming the foot gets better, he will potentially see an improvement in his position coach, which could result in improvement. Eric Mangini coached tight ends last season, even though the bulk of his career was spent coaching defensive players. I can't say for certain that that hurt the group last year, but new tight ends coach Tony Sparano has extensive offensive coaching experience. Maybe it means nothing, but it makes sense that it could lead to some improvement.

Carrier converted from wide receiver to tight end, and blocking was an area he needed to improve. We very well could see some improvement, but we also could see him in more of a strictly receiver role to build on his strengths. We'll find out more once he gets on the practice field and into preseason action.

Why he might regress in 2015:

The foot injury slows his development in the new offense. He could attend meetings, watch film, and otherwise observe practice, but missing the early installation period is not going to help him. He still seems like a developmental talent, and missing time is not going to help.

A potential regression could also happen depending on the type of role he fills with the 49ers. If the team wants to get him into a more well-rounded tight end role, he just might not show the blocking improvement needed to hold down such a role. And again, the foot injury could slow that progress.

Odds of making the roster:

The fact that the team signed him to a two-year extension while he was under contract for one more year (and would only be a restricted free agent next year), seems to indicate his roster chances are strong. He got a $400,000 signing bonus, so it's not like releasing him this year would cripple the team. However, does it really make sense for him not to make the team?

One possibility of course is that he opens training camp on the PUP list due to his foot injury. We'll know that status in late July when the team reports for training camp. If he is healthy however, he probably makes the team, right?

Article link: 49ers roster, 90-in-90 breakdowns: Derek Carrier - Niners Nation

It's a conditional 5th rounder. I've yet to see the conditions, but if he doesn't play much it might cost next-to-nothing.

I also believe it's a 2017 pick.

Yeah, I can read :). Doesn't matter what year it is. He was undrafted, then a practice squad guy, and one decent year but has mostly been hurt since. That sounds like over-paying to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.