• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/18/15: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
August 18, 2015
Redskins Park

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On injury updates:
“Keenan [Robinson] was held out today, had a sore Achilles. He should be OK, day-to-day. We’ll see how he is tomorrow. [Will] Compton, same thing; he went through individual today and we will get a better gauge tomorrow. Most of these guys, they’ve done individual to see how they are for treatment today and then see how they are feeling in the morning, get to the hotel and make a decision for Thursday night.”

On cornerback DeAngelo Hall and wide receiver Jamison Crowder:
“I think they’re in the same boat. DeAngelo hurt his toe and he is going to try to go. He wants to play really bad. He knows he needs some reps here and there to get back in the flow. We will see how he is doing at the hotel Thursday.”

On quarterback Robert Griffin III’s comments being taken out of context:
“I didn’t really make a lot out of it. You guys did. I think all players want to strive to be the best and that doesn’t change. DeSean Jackson said he was uncoverable. Whether he is or not, that’s the way he feels. Robert has high goals for himself. I don’t fault anybody for having high goals for themselves. We don’t want anybody to strive to be average. The key thing that he said is that he has got to go out and prove it, and we all have got to go out and prove it.”

On if Colt McCoy will serve as the No. 2 quarterback on Thursday and what Gruden wants to see from him on Thursday:
“Same thing. You know, I think Colt will get more reps in this game. But, you know, it's an open competition there for those guys. They're both doing some great things in practice. And, obviously, Kirk [Cousins] had a very strong performance against Cleveland. So, Colt’s just got to parlay a solid performance when he played in the games last year, and see his growth and see what he's all about and move the team and get the ball in the end zone.”

On if there is a fatigue factor from media “firestorms”:
“Not really. You know, it's just a matter what's interpreted, how it's interpreted. And you have to read through the whole thing some times and figure out what was exactly said. But, not really. This is part of my job to talk to the media and answer questions about certain players and certain issues and that's what I signed up for.”

On his impression of Griffin’s comments:
“What was my impression? I really didn't think a whole lot of it; I just thought it was a guy that had high hopes for himself and his performance and his career as a starting quarterback in the NFL. I think when he was drafted No. 2 out of Baylor and he came here and he had a Rookie of the Year performance, I think everybody thought he could be a top-notch quarterback in the NFL. I don't think he's wavered in that confidence factor. He just has to go out and prove it and stay healthy, number one, and go out and continue to play. The whole thing about great quarterbacks and the top-notch quarterbacks, they're durable and they do it year-in and year-out and game-in and game-out. We have got to make sure we do our best to keep him healthy and he has got to do his best to perform.”

On if the chemistry has continued to develop between Griffin and wide receiver Pierre Garçon:
“Yeah, I think so. I think with all the receivers, Robert’s comfort level is getting there and it’s coming, it’s coming, it’s coming. It comes with repetition and anticipation on routes and knowing where they’re going, how they’re going to get there. And then the receivers have to have the trust that the ball’s going to be in the air. That takes time, and it’s coming. Pierre is an excellent receiver, very detail oriented. Ryan Grant is excellent. Andre [Roberts] is excellent with the details. He’s got some guys that know exactly how to get there, now we’ve just got to give them the ball on time and that’s coming. And then when we’re clicking, that will be a major part of why.”

On how he grades younger players in preseason games as compared to practices:
“I think we evaluate them all the time. Practice, every rep that they take, they’re evaluated – in practice and in the games. But the games are important. Like I said before, some guys shine, some guys don’t. Some guys play better in practice than the game. Some guys play better in games than in practice. It’s a great experience for these young guys – not only on the defensive side of the ball but when they go to special teams. Huge, huge opportunity for them. Any time you cross the white lines on the football field in the National Football League, it’s a great opportunity for you and a lot of guys hopefully will take advantage of it.”

On if tight end Jordan Reed could play if this was a regular season game:
“I don’t think he would this week. He’s got a hamstring, and we’ve got to get him right. I’ve got to make sure he’s 100 percent for Miami. But I’m hoping that he’s going to be ready for Baltimore, but we’ll have to wait and see. He’s a very important part of our offense. Third downs, as we all know, how important he is. So we’ve got to make sure he’s right. We’ve got to get him in there sooner than later, obviously, at least in practice to get the reps that we were talking about with Pierre – the timing and all that stuff that the quarterback needs. But we’ve also got to be smart with him and really only Jordan can tell us how he’s feeling. Hamstrings nowadays – Is it tight? Is it pulled? What is it? – you never know. So we’ve just got to trust his word that when he’s right, he’ll be right.”

On if he is in the process of finding a role for running back Matt Jones:
“We’re still in the process, but right now I would say [he’s] more of a relief back. Take some load off of Alfred [Morris] late in the game or the second quarter here and there, spell him from time-to-time. Alfred is doing so good and has been in such good shape, it is hard to take him out of the game on first or second down. I think it’s going to be important for Matt to earn his reps. He’s got to go out these last three preseason games and A) stay healthy and B) show the stamina that he has, the ball security that we can trust him in a game on Sunday afternoons. If he earns the reps, he will get his fair share of carries.”

On if running back Chris Thompson is the third-down back:
“Thompson is doing an excellent job, very happy with what Chris is doing. Chris is actually doing good on the normal downs also. Those three guys are excellent. Silas [Reed] unfortunately got hurt and then Trey [Willliams] obviously he is showing flashes of being a pretty explosive guy himself. Mack [Brown] has come in there and taken some carries. He will get more carries in the third and fourth quarter. We’re just going to let it play out.”

On his expectations for the second preseason game:
“I expect just to continue to build on what we’re doing and make sure these guys go out and play and compete every down, get better than we were last week. We were pretty error free as far as the penalties were concerned. I am hoping that stays the case. But I want to see our guys just continue to get better and stay together, learn our system and play together and communicate. And in the process, finding out what guys we want to keep for our roster, so that is the most important thing. But really set standards high for themselves and play hard and physical football.”

On how long he anticipates the starters will play on Thursday:
“I’m not sure yet. First quarters can be very different sometimes. Sometimes you get 10 plays on offense, sometimes you get 40. So I would probably say close to around the first quarter, maybe a little longer.”

On the younger receivers like Ryan Grant:
“Ryan Grant, he’s one of my favorites. He’s always good, man. He’s a clinic receiver. He runs every route perfect. But he’s doing good. A lot of our young guys are doing good. Andre has stepped up and he continues to battle and compete. He’s done well. [Reggie] Bell has done some good things. He’s made some plays. Obviously [Rashad] Ross had a big game in the game. He’s done some good things. So all these guys are really trying to do their best to compete and battle, and I’m happy with the progress that they’re making. Ike [Hilliard] does a great job with those guys. It’ll be interesting to see how they do on special teams also. [Evan] Spencer, he did some good things on special teams. Somebody’s got to emerge as a punt returner, kick returner or special teams player.”

On if Crowder will play Thursday:
“Probably not. Probably not. He practiced today in individual and looked pretty good running around. But I don’t know if we want to force the issue. We want to get him a couple good days of practice before we put him out in the game.”

Coach sticking up for Griffin. Love it!! I think that is a great sign for a relationship and success for all of us!

Gruden did what a professional does, not berating a player in an interview.... Coach speak so to speak.

He could be pissed beyond belief for all we know, and the gag order from the team concerning Robert does indicate the team isn't happy about it.

Gruden did what a professional does, not berating a player in an interview.... Coach speak so to speak.

He could be pissed beyond belief for all we know, and the gag order from the team concerning Robert does indicate the team isn't happy about it.

Absolutely no doubt, they're not happy, after the action they took.
But the question is, whether the team is more pissed at the media, or at Griffin, and just trying to sugar-coat it.
For now, I'm gonna believe Gruden is standing behind Griffin.

Last edited:

Remember when gruden spoke about Griffin last year? Did he not berate him then? To me, it seems like we're coming together as a team and uniting

FYI- Griff was allowed to talk to the assembled media just after practice. (local guys/gals.... you know, the ones that did not overreact to Griff's comments and included the context of the interview early on)

The NY guy who got pissed at not making his deadline appears to be the only one who got the gag.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.