• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/16/15: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
August 16, 2015
Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center – Richmond, Va.

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On tight end Ernst Brun, Jr.:
"Well, he had a good workout today. We're just going to give him a shot. He's a young kid that Alex Santos and our scouting staff found and thought he deserved an opportunity to get a look here these next couple weeks."

On the process of scouting a player a year removed from college:
"You will have to ask Alex [Santos] and Scot [McCloughan]. They're the ones that discovered him and decided to bring him in for a workout. He looked good running around catching the ball so we'll see when he puts the shoulder pads on and see what happens."

On if Brun is primarily a blocking tight end or pass-catching tight end:
"He can probably can do both a little bit more than the other guys we've worked out so far. We're looking for somebody obviously who can block. There's so many tight ends that can either do one or the other but it's hard to find ones that can do both and we're hoping he has the traits to do both."

On linebacker Junior Galette’s explosiveness and what he can bring to the pass rush:
"That – explosion. You know, he’s got great speed off the edge. He's obviously had a lot of sacks in his career and it's well documented what he is. He's a difference maker on defense and he's disruption. And you can just see him, he's got a different tempo coming off the line of scrimmage. He's really good at watching the snap count or watching the ball and getting off with good leverage. He stays low, he uses his hands and he'll be a welcomed addition."

On if he is looking forward to returning to Ashburn and getting into a normal rhythm:
"I think so. It’s been a great experience here obviously, but I think everybody is ready to get back to their own bed. It's been a great challenge and it’s been a great experience coming out here, but when you finally get to end it and get back home and get in some normal scheduling, normal lives, we get to go to our beds and go home, wake up and get to our office. Our office is redone, we're excited to see that and just move forward with the season."

On if that extends to returning to the team’s own weight room and meeting rooms in Ashburn:
"No question, it’s obviously a comfort level there with everything. It's very convenient, obviously. Like I said before, it's been a great experience and a great set up right here, but it’s about time to make that move."

On the depth of the team:
“Well, after losing Silas [Redd], obviously our running depth back is hurt a little bit. I feel pretty good. Our defensive back depth has been jeopardized a little bit with all the injuries. Overall, most teams in training camp about this time of year – they’ve got some nagging injuries with some hamstrings, hip flexors, some ankles. Luckily for us, other than Niles [Paul] and obviously Silas and Logan [Paulsen], we haven't had too many major ones. Those are three big ones but most of the guys – DeSean [Jackson] and Trent [Williams] missed a little bit of time and those other guys, they should be back here – [Bashaud] Breeland, [David] Amerson – they’ll be back shortly. Our depth was challenged, but we also had some guys step up – some young guys step up – and get some quality playing time with the ones and the twos and obviously in the games in the next couple of weeks, so it will actually help our depth in the long run.”

On if fullback Darrel Young could help the situation at tight end:
“Yeah, he can, he can. There’s ways to move him around and he's a very smart guy. He can line up anywhere in the formation so we are lucky to have Darrel. He can line up at his true fullback obviously. He can line up at the wing, but not in-line tight end. We wouldn't ask him to do that. He's actually lined up outside in the slot before and outside – he caught a touchdown against Jacksonville lined up outside as a receiver. He's a very versatile player.”

On if he has determined the playing time for the starters next Thursday:
"Not yet. We have one day here in shoulder pads. We have a little practice tomorrow and then we break camp. Then we're going to see the health of our football team, where we are, and go from there. It'll probably be close to the same, maybe a little bit more for the starters than we were last week."

On what jumped out about Brandon Scherff and Morgan Moses on the right side of offensive line:
"Well, I think Morgan, his emergence really, watching him in one-on-ones and watching him in pass pro and watching him in the team drills at right tackle when he was asked to do that. He was playing extremely well, and obviously when we moved Brandon inside to guard he looked very comfortable in there. With Morgan's emergence at right tackle and Brandon's comfort level at right guard, it was a natural fit and so far they've worked out very well together. We are happy with the transition Morgan has made and obviously Brandon."

On if he is surprised by Moses’ emergence after the injury he suffered last season:
“A little bit, to be honest with you, yeah. He missed all of OTAs with his injury. He missed the last couple weeks obviously with his injury. He came back and we put him out there at right tackle. But he really did a great job in the rehab with Larry [Hess] and in the weight room and even in the offseason when he was by himself. He came in great shape. His foot speed is outstanding and his strength, he was stronger. I think the effort that he put into his rehab and his offseason training has really paid off for him.”

On if he knows surgery dates for Niles Paul and Silas Redd, Jr.:
“I do not, no.”

On wide receiver Ryan Grant:
"Ryan, he is a technician is what he is. If you draw a play up on a chalkboard he'll do it exactly right. He's very good at doing what he's asked to do, he's very defined in all his routes. He's probably our best route runner, pure route runner. He gets in and out of breaks in a hurry. He's got big strong hands. He just has a couple of really, really good players in front of him in Pierre [Garçon] and DeSean [Jackson]. So it's hard to get him as many touches as he deserves. I have trouble, no problem, any time, any place, anywhere lining up with Ryan in a key situation and having him be a focal point. Unfortunately for him, there are a couple of other guys in front of him.”

On if he can compare the team now to the team upon breaking camp a year ago:
"That's a good question. Obviously, this time of year everybody has high hopes. We had high hopes last year, but I think from last year comparing to this year, I think you can see we have more players that are NFL-quality backups, special teamers, all that stuff. You can see that we're bigger, we’re stronger and I think we're faster. That’s a good thing. So the depth of defensive line is a heck of a lot better, no question. Adding Galette to our pass rush, adding Preston [Smith] to our pass rush, we're better suited there. Our linebackers have that extra year of experience. Our quarterbacks have another year of experience in our system. Our offensive line is bigger. Obviously our receiver depth is unquestioned, it’s excellent. Obviously we're a little worried about the tight end spot, but other than that I feel good about all of the positions as far as getting bigger, better and more comfortable with what we're doing."

On if anything changes on the field from Richmond to Ashburn:
"No, not really. Obviously, when you get ready for the season, you’re playing Miami or you’re playing Philadelphia or the New York Giants. You're going to be doing practice a little bit different as far as drawing cards and getting your defense ready for their offense and our offense getting ready for their defense. So that will be a little bit different. Out in training camp, it’s more about finding our top 53 guys and going us against us. We’re going Sean McVay's offense against Joe Barry every day. Once the regular season hits, we're going to go our offense against what Philadelphia is going to look like or what the Miami Dolphins are going to look like. That's the main change in how we get ready for a game."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.