• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/11/15: Jay Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
August 11, 2015
Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center – Richmond, Va.

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On tight ends Niles Paul and Jordan Reed:
“Niles did good today, he did good today. He got some treatment last night, got an MRI, everything was a very good report and he practiced today. And then Jordan Reed, he practiced today, fighting through a little hamstring soreness but he will be day-to-day.”

On how to fix red zone woes:
“There’s a lot of keys to fixing the red zone. You want to be a little bit more effective running the ball obviously. You want to be in positive down and distances down there and you want to get in there and have some opportunities to practice it and get better at it. The windows are tighter. You get a lot of cover zero, you get a lot of drop eight. There’s a lot of different coverages that people play and they are very good at defensively playing good defense. We just have got to continue to get down there and practice it, be precise with our throws and then obviously get some help running the football.”

On quarterback Robert Griffin III potentially playing more this preseason than he did last year:
“We’ll see how it goes right now. When I say a quarter, it depends a lot on the situation of the game. If we have a nice 12- or 14-play drive that could change everything. We will be on a play count for our ones on offense. We’re going to discuss that at a later date here, probably tomorrow morning. But I want them to anticipate playing at least a quarter so they get in their frame of mind that they might have to go back out for a second or third series. You tell them one series and it’s three and out, that’s not enough for us. We have got to make sure we get some plays on tape, get them back in the flow of playing football against a live pass rush. Our whole offense needs to do that, come off the football. Our running backs need to work on their ball security and hitting the new running lanes and the plays that we have and get some good practice. We have got a new line coach and some new schemes going on both offensively and defensively and we need to work.”

On if anyone new has been ruled out:
“No, I don’t think so. I think the normal guys. I think Trevardo [Williams], you’ve got Trevardo. Obviously, you’ve got DeSean [Jackson], you’ve got [Ryan] Kerrigan, [Jamison] Crowder, [Will] Compton, we’ll make a later decision on. He did a little bit more today. We’ll see on him. [Bashaud] Breeland’s obviously out. [David] Amerson’s out. Those are the big ones."

On if there are mismatches the team can advantage of against Cleveland:
“We like to think we have quite a few mismatches we can choose from. We really haven’t gone far and beyond in studying Cleveland’s defensive personnel really. I know [cornerback] Joe Haden’s out there. I don’t know how much he’s going to play. I know they’ve got some good players on there. They’ve been a good defense. Coming from Cincinnati, I know how good their defense is, personnel-wise. But really, we like to challenge all our guys and they have to be ready for every one-on-one matchup. If they want to play man-to-man, our back has to beat their linebacker, our tight end has got to beat their safety or linebacker, our receivers have got to win against their corners. It’s up to the quarterback to pick which one depending on the play, depending on the leverage, but we feel confident that whether it’s Pierre [Garçon], whether it’s DeSean [Jackson], whether it’s Pierre [Garçon], whether it’s Ryan Grant, whether it’s any of our receivers — Andre [Roberts], our tight ends. We’ve been schooling them up to beat man coverage, no matter who it is. That’ll be a great challenge for us because Cleveland has a very good defense.”

On if he feels the team is ready to play in a game:
“I think they are. I really do. I think they’re ready. We’ll see. But the big thing is just coming together as a group. Defensively, obviously, with all the issues we’ve had in the secondary with all the people missing time — that’s a little bit of a concern. But overall, I think our defensive line is ready to roll, our linebackers are playing extremely well. Our offensive line is coming together. They’ve been playing different spots but I feel like they know what to do. Some of our young tight ends, they’ve been here for a little bit, so they know what to do. I’m anxious to see everybody play — our backs. So it’s just a matter of putting the football out there, letting these guys play and buckle up and see who shows up.”

On holding training camp in Richmond:
“We enjoy our time here. It’s an important time of year for us as a team to get out of our own little comfort blanket – whatever so to speak – to come here. We get to bond. We get to mesh as a team. We get to come out here and practice — a great facility, great field, great training room, great weight room, the hotel’s awesome. And then the fan support has been outstanding. We’ve been fortunate with the weather also. We had one rainy day but overall it’s been great. We love our time here, man. It’s a great time for us and an important time for us, something we take very seriously. We’re not so much worried about how many people come out, but we’re happy about the fan support. We appreciate it and it’s going to help us in the long run.”

On tight end Logan Paulsen:
“He went down to see a doctor. I think he left this morning so we’ll more word tonight.”

On what he is looking forward to against Cleveland:
“I want to see our guys compete, really. I want to see them make plays. We talk about making it happen and they've got an opportunity under the lights in Cleveland, Ohio. It will be a nice stadium, full of people, on the road and it's a chance for them to flourish. We're going to give them every opportunity to succeed. Hopefully we'll call some plays on offense that will give them a chance to make some plays, and defensively, whatever front, whatever coverage we play, it's going to be an opportunity for somebody to make a play, a splash play – a forced fumble, an interception, a hard hit, something exceptional. I'm looking for exceptional plays. I'm looking for, mainly, guys that compete on a consistent basis, not one play and take a play off. We want great effort by everybody.”

On what he’s looking for on Thursday from players fighting for roster spots:
"It’s not only a game, it is a big game for these guys and it’s an opportunity for them to show us what they have. Some of them may not get many reps – they might only play the fourth quarter. They might only play 10 snaps, but those 10 snaps are very important and crucial to maybe making an impression on us – will they get more snaps in preseason game two or three or four? Every snap in this preseason game is important for somebody and important for us as a group to set our standard. I’m excited to see a lot of these guys play, not only our ones but our twos, our threes, these rookies, some of these free agents we have. I’m excited to watch them and it’s very important to all of them."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.