• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/7/15: Gruden

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
August 7, 2015
Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center – Richmond, Va.

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On the cornerbacks:
“[Bashaud] Breeland’s the same. [DeAngelo] Hall’s going to be day-to-day. Who else? [Chris] Culliver, he’ll be day-to-day. And [David] Amerson is getting close. We just want to make sure he’s staying out of contact today — one more day. We’ll see how he’s doing tomorrow. Those are the big four obviously in the secondary. Jeron Johnson has a hamstring, just a matter of how they feel if they think they can push through it or not. Right now we’re being probably cautious with them and making sure they get right. But, you know, the good thing is we’re getting a look at some young guys and seeing what that they can do. I told them after the practice that with these injuries — they’re unfortunate, but it’s also fortunate for the guys that get some great reps and a great opportunity for some young guys to see what they can do, not only on defense but on special teams. The positive is we’re looking at some new guys. The bad thing is these veteran guys that we’re counting on aren’t getting the reps, but we’ll get them healthy, number one.”

On linebacker Preston Smith and tight end Logan Paulsen:
“Logan has a big toe sprain and a little swollen. Logan is one of the tougher guys on this football team. He wanted to fight through it, but I saw him limping around pretty good last night in the meeting and we decided to hold him out to see if we can get some relief for him. Preston had a little bit of a groin. We’re hoping he goes tomorrow. Those two guys, they’re close.”

On his impressions of the younger tight ends:
“They’ve all put together some pretty good play. I think [Je’Ron] Hamm and [Chase] Dixon both had a couple opportunities they didn’t cash in on but overall we’re seeing progress by both those two guys. [Devin] Mahina just got here as a free agent. He’s very smart. He’s a little bit older for a free agent but he’s a big kid doing very well in the running game. So, like I said, those tight ends, they’re getting some great work. Logan [Paulsen] not being in there today, they’re able to get some good work against their ones. We’ll see how that film looks. I’m happy with where they’re going.”

On Quinton Dunbar transitioning from wide receiver to cornerback:
“We're pretty thin in the secondary. I was watching punts and he was blocking the flyers. He was very long and looked like he could get his hands on people and changed direction pretty good. We put him out there on one-on-ones on receivers and he played pretty dang good. We decided to give him a chance and he was up for it. There's a great opportunity there for him. He's long and obviously he's got a ways to go with his technique and all of that stuff, but he's got the measurables to be a pretty dang good corner, so we’ll see. In high school he played [cornerback] a little bit.”

On defensive end Stephen Paea:
“Yeah, he strained his groin just a hair.”

On running back Matt Jones thriving in a physical role:
“He did today. Both Randy [Jordan] and Scot [McCloughan] and myself, he's been challenged a little bit to finish some runs. A lot of the times in these practices you're not sure how to finish runs, but we want him to finish violently. That's what type of guy he is and he did that today, so I was excited to see Matt. He had a couple of really good cuts in the hole, unblocked. We had a poor assignment on a defensive end. We didn't block him and he made him miss in the hole. He made a great positive run in one of the run periods. He had a much better day today than he did yesterday.”

On why Jones had been hesitant to finish runs:
“I just think probably the tempo. [He's] young. That's probably how they did it in college and he's thinking that he gets five, six yards and he's done for the day, but we want him to finish the runs.”

On how he feels about the offense scoring in the red zone today:
“Very good. It’s one of our focal points this offseason; we’re trying to work on our red zone. The last one, Colt [McCoy] did a great job ad-libbing. It was a bad snap but he ad-libbed it. And [Evan] Spencer did a nice job finding a hole. The first one Robert [Griffin III] had great anticipation and Pierre [Garçon] had a great finish on the fade. There’s tight windows down there. You’ve got have to have anticipation and you have to have some luck – scramble drills and finding windows. And I thought we had a nice run -- Alfred had a nice run -- there on first down. We pounded it through there and he might have gotten to the one. We’re going to keep working on that. That's why these practices are so great, though. You get a chance to hone in on a situation every day and we’re able pick a couple plays in the red zone. That’s work you may not get in the preseason games, so it’s good for us.”

On defensive end Frank Kearse:
“He banged his knee. There was a pile up and somebody hit the side of his knee. I think he’ll be able to go tomorrow, too.”

On injuries:
“Yeah, you know, every year it seems sometimes you're very fortunate and you don't have many and sometimes it’s like it's a bug, and right now we’re having some issues with them. And [Jamison] Crowder hurt his hamstring a little bit, too. We have some issues and we’ll just have to deal with them. Our training staff has got to be on top of them. The players have got to be on top of them, and we have got to be on top of the rehab. But like I said before, injuries do happen. We ran into that last year throughout the season, and we had to get guys ready. So it’s a great opportunity for us to see key backups, key special team players. We’re going to have to ask them to step up, and guys are trying to do that right now.”

On how tough it is for Trevardo Williams to miss time while competing for a spot:
"It is a tough spot, all injuries are tough on people and this is a tough league to play when you have injuries when you are trying to make a football team. We'll have to see. Trevardo did some good things for us late in the year. He had a sack – I think against Dallas or Philly – and was doing some good things in the minicamp, but this injury we will have to wait and see how bad it is and how quickly he can recover."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, not exactly a good time at the podium. we are getting our fair share of injuries.

I see a lot of groin and hamstring injuries. At what point is is just the way it goes, and at what point do you say hey we're getting a lot of the same injuries, we need to look at our stretching/conditioning program?

They need a good groin masseuse. Can you recommend anyone?

Griff's name isn't all over this, in fact hardly in it at all... I count that a good thing. :)

I hate all of the minor injuries, but am always impressed with the level of coaching these guys are getting. You'd never hear something like this from Jim Zorn:

On why Jones had been hesitant to finish runs:
“I just think probably the tempo. [He's] young. That's probably how they did it in college and he's thinking that he gets five, six yards and he's done for the day, but we want him to finish the runs.”

Regardless of position, the finer points are always noted and emphasized.

I dreamed RG had a season ender during camp. AARGH!!!

Last edited:
Picking up the option was still a mistake.

Griffin would cost $19M to franchise him in 2016 vs. risking $16M he is going to stay healthy.

Even if you want Griffin to succeed and stay here long-term it wasn't a good business decision.

I'm pretty certain they are holding on to the Tag for Trent Williams if needed. Given that, at that time, Kerrigan and Trent were up for contracts next year too, they chose to make that call. It wasn't a horrid business decision, it was just taking a risk some didn't like. But if we need to sign both next year, and we have the tag for Williams, it looks a hell of a lot smarter.

Picking up the option was still a mistake.

Griffin would cost $19M to franchise him in 2016 vs. risking $16M he is going to stay healthy.

Even if you want Griffin to succeed and stay here long-term it wasn't a good business decision.

The big thing to remember is if he stinks it up this year or they really don't feel confident, they can still cut or trade him with no impact, voiding that option.

Nick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.