• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

when will these guys learn?

There are exactly two states where NFL teams play where pot is legal for recreational use - Colorado and Washington State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ND - first of all, it is great to see you post brother. Secondly - I agree. But I also remember the amount of impulse control I had at that age and that making the right decision wasn't always certain depending on the temptation in question. My thing is on weed, I can understand/forgive one screw up. It's unfortunate and it pisses me off, but I can understand it. But guys that continue to screw up, hurt their team, and even put their careers in jeopardy, that's just plain stupid and selfish. If I was an NFL coach and had a repeat offender, I don't care who it was, I'd release them. And I'd make sure they and their agent knew I intended to do it after the first time.

If the US came out of the stone age and legalized weed we wouldn't need to talk about this. However, the NFL's stance on it is kind of ridiculous, it should be handled like any other "crime". Does an NFL player get punished by the league for a misdemeanor parking or speeding ticket? A misdemeanor is a misdemeanor IMO and if it's all about "protecting the shield" and it's image, Goodell should be publicly admonished, punished and impeached! When felony amounts of weed or guns are involved, then slap them upside the head! But I'd personally rather have my football player smoke a little weed to deal with the aches, pains and stress of football, than be addicted to pain pills and alcohol.

ND - first of all, it is great to see you post brother. Secondly - I agree. But I also remember the amount of impulse control I had at that age and that making the right decision wasn't always certain depending on the temptation in question. My thing is on weed, I can understand/forgive one screw up. It's unfortunate and it pisses me off, but I can understand it. But guys that continue to screw up, hurt their team, and even put their careers in jeopardy, that's just plain stupid and selfish. If I was an NFL coach and had a repeat offender, I don't care who it was, I'd release them. And I'd make sure they and their agent knew I intended to do it after the first time.

Boone...sorta line up with you on this...with some nuances. Many of these NFL players are being pulled over with weed in the car, weapons and driving way over the speed limit. I had friends who died in auto accidents returning from concerts back in the day and the cause, in some cases, was known to be driving high under the influence of pot. Society is moving in the direction of liberalizing, for better or for worse. but we shouldn't mask the fact that there is a cost...there is also emerging medical evidence that continual pot use does impact brain functions. not here to tell people what to do - just saying that it's not cut and dry.

my orig point was simply how stupid can one get smoking during rookie training camp!

Which makes things even more curious... I know the league can do whatever they want, but different states tax differently. Imagine the nightmare of being a pro athlete working in multiple states over a season and the tax nightmare that gives you. No wonder so many of these guys get bilked by bad accounting.

The league can't do anything about that, but drug laws open up another curiosity and how they vary state-to-state. Again, the league can do whatever they wish, so I'm just curious.

Nick

I believe you just use wherever your home residence is as your state tax. At least that is how it works for the military.

I believe you just use wherever your home residence is as your state tax. At least that is how it works for the military.

Ok. I ass/u/med they'd be 1099'd or whatever from whatever state they "worked" in for a game.

Maybe that's why Suh chose the Dolphins... ;)

Nick

If the US came out of the stone age and legalized weed we wouldn't need to talk about this. However, the NFL's stance on it is kind of ridiculous, it should be handled like any other "crime". Does an NFL player get punished by the league for a misdemeanor parking or speeding ticket? A misdemeanor is a misdemeanor IMO and if it's all about "protecting the shield" and it's image, Goodell should be publicly admonished, punished and impeached! When felony amounts of weed or guns are involved, then slap them upside the head! But I'd personally rather have my football player smoke a little weed to deal with the aches, pains and stress of football, than be addicted to pain pills and alcohol.

I haves smoked pot - I have less issue with that (I more or less view it as a more intense version of alcohol). What I have an issue with is players knowing it is illegal, knowing if they get caught they will be in trouble, and potentially miss games and hurt their team.

Athletes pay taxes in whatever state they play in, so for 8 games they're subject to whatever that states tax is. You should see a baseball players pay stub, it's incredible since they play in so many different states.

Athletes pay taxes in whatever state they play in, so for 8 games they're subject to whatever that states tax is. You should see a baseball players pay stub, it's incredible since they play in so many different states.

Nevermind the teams that are "fortunate" enough to get a game in England... ;)

I'm sure being a CPA for a hockey player is a nightmare, too.

Nick

I think that's an overlooked financial hit they take that most people dont take into account... If a player plays for the Redskins, and we play against the Bills, they have to pay taxes to NY for that 1 game based on their income. Where it really loses me though, is it that single GAME check they pay on, or is it collective based on their total income?

I haves smoked pot - I have less issue with that (I more or less view it as a more intense version of alcohol). What I have an issue with is players knowing it is illegal, knowing if they get caught they will be in trouble, and potentially miss games and hurt their team.

You haves? ;)

Hey, coming out of colonoscopy sedation- I think I'm doing pretty good :)

I think that's an overlooked financial hit they take that most people dont take into account... If a player plays for the Redskins, and we play against the Bills, they have to pay taxes to NY for that 1 game based on their income. Where it really loses me though, is it that single GAME check they pay on, or is it collective based on their total income?

I imagine it's just for that game check.

Nick

Hey, coming out of colonoscopy sedation- I think I'm doing pretty good :)

As long as it wasn't administered by Dr Cliff Huxtable, you should be ok!

BC.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.