• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL Philosophy: Redskins Roster Evaluation

Yet you've been claiming he's better for us than morris and even have talked trading morris.

You flip flop more than a fish out of water, bro.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Let's move on guys. I think 'speculating' on who is a fit in our new schemes is obviously fine - there's no point in having a discussion forum if folks can't discuss what they want to. I think if we could all work on making our opinions less 'emphatic' and 'cocksure', it would lead to friendlier back and forth.

We'll all see who is right and who was dead wrong down the road. And there's no doubt each of us will be there to remind the other of that when the time comes.

Two other things that stand out to me:

1. This guy knows more about Duke Ihenacho than I do in thirty days. He obviously looked at prior film. And I've been a fan my entire life. I'm encouraged by what I read.

2. His profile on Leribeus is interesting. Maybe he isn't a lost cause after all? Get on him Callahan.

God I hope we move on from McRib. Totally blown pick. If he could play, we would know it by now.

God I hope we move on from McRib. Totally blown pick. If he could play, we would know it by now.

Especially considering how high we drafted him.

But...there may be hope. We have Callahan.

Compare his evaluation to that of Kedric Golston. Look what he wrote under his "best" attributes. lol

And then look at what he said about Ryan Clark. I love Ryan for his love of Sean Taylor. But I can't disagree with his assessment.

I would love to be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One final thing that stands out to me:

This author went into such precise detail that he not only lists which games were outstanding for a particular player, but also lists the salary ramifications for many of our guys.

He doesn't even like our team. He's not even a fan.

How much does the third string guard on the Minnesota Vikings count against their cap right now? No idea, right? I have no idea either.

This information is accessible with some time and effort, but to actually devote that time?

I found this to be the most comprehensive look I've seen of all of our players. That's why I posted it.

We often complain about "fluff" pieces where a writer will say we suck or we're great without anything to back it up. I don't agree with some of his evaluations (Perry Riley?) but the time invested is impressive.

Last edited:
I guess if you're into bathing in someone else's opinion, supported by statistical minutia, it's a great piece.

As I said before, the stat numbers are the only thing we didn't know before reading the piece. Knowing those numbers, doesn't enhance any part of my love and interest in our team. They serve no meaningful purpose, for me. I've been watching the Redskins, and the NFL, long enough to know that our history, as well as the NFL's, are filled with plays, players, and teams, that consistently defy what the "experts" and "stats" boldly claim would happen.

Come on training camp. That's where I'll learn something interesting.

No, he's not. Think Frank Gore. That's a downhill back.

It may be a little more boring to watch, but it will definitely be more of a power football scheme, which will hopefully also kill the clock.

Matt Jones, RB, Florida, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

You mistake my comment for a genuine question. I wasn't asking as if I didn't know. I guess I should have posted this too to be clear :insane: , because that's the sentiment your post inspired...along with some laughter. We differ in opinion, I flat out disagree with you, I'm not football dumb. :rolleyes2:

I think you're out of your mind and the only one "living in bizzaro world" if you don't think Morris is a downhill back, it's right up there with thinking our O line was anything but a disaster and one of the worst units in the league last year. Downhill backs fall forward and gain yardage on almost every tackle. He may be playing in a ZB scheme but that by no means indicates he isn't a downhill back. He's not a slasher and not a shake and bake juker, he hits people and runs them over. He's absolutely a downhill back.

Marshawn Lynch has had a lot of problems off the field.

I'm no Brandon Jacobs fan. But to say he had one or two good years when he's the franchise leader in rushing TDs is pretty ridiculous. I'm no Tiki Barber fan either....just saying.

Jacobs career rushing TDs: 60
Alfred so far: 28

I'd already say Alfred's had more than "one or two good seasons."

Jacobs was/is the ultimate definition of a goalline back. A TD-vulture is what they call him in Fantasy Football. If the Giants had the ball on the one yard line, everyone in the world knew who was going to get the ball, and the dude still scored. Not because he was an exceptional back, because he was fricking enormous.

Tall and big didn't make Mix good; neither does it mean Brandon Jacobs was anything more than a mediocre RB. I'd take Morris 10 times out of ten without thinking twice. And sleep like a baby...

Frank Gore is a downhill runner but in his prime years he was capable of taking an off tackle run or pass out of the backfield 60 yards for a touchdown. That is what separates the best backs from the rest of the pack.

He's 32 and still a legit starting back in the NFL. With Morris, we have to figure out if he is wearing down physically after 3 hard seasons of carrying the ball behind a mediocre line or whether he has a second act to perform with a better supporting cast up front and some better play at the qb position.

You mistake my comment for a genuine question. I wasn't asking as if I didn't know. I guess I should have posted this too to be clear :insane: , because that's the sentiment your post inspired...along with some laughter. We differ in opinion, I flat out disagree with you, I'm not football dumb. :rolleyes2:

I think you're out of your mind and the only one "living in bizzaro world" if you don't think Morris is a downhill back, it's right up there with thinking our O line was anything but a disaster and one of the worst units in the league last year. Downhill backs fall forward and gain yardage on almost every tackle. He may be playing in a ZB scheme but that by no means indicates he isn't a downhill back. He's not a slasher and not a shake and bake juker, he hits people and runs them over. He's absolutely a downhill back.

here's what we have always heard about Morris: scan, one cut, and run. to me...that's downhill. entirely compatible with the concepts behind ZBS.

I think most would agree that saying Brandon Jacobs "played well for a season or two and then teams figured out if you hit him hard, he folded like a cheap tent" is probably less than accurate. Borders on bizzaro world.

That's actually entirely accurate. Jacobs was a painfully mediocre RB. The only thing notable about that dude is that he ran his mouth far more than his play warranted.

He played much softer than his size would lead one to believe, and he was never able to shoulder the load as a full-time starter, which is odd for such a big guy. He had exactly two 1000+ yard seasons, which he managed to accrue thanks to the fact that he was sharing the backfield with Derrick Ward, who took enough carries to keep Jacobs from breaking in two. He scored a lot of TDs because, as a part time player, his job for most of his career was to punch the ball in in short-yardage situations.

I mean, if you are going to look at a relevant stat, don't compare career TDs of a nine-year pro with that of a three year pro. Look at something like, say, rushing yards per game.

Brandon Jacobs is 11th on the Giants (47.5 yards a game), behind such luminaries as Andre Brown and Rashad Jennings.
Morris? He's 1st on the Redskins (82.5 yards a game). Morris is ahead of guys named Clinton Portis, Terry Allen, George Rogers, Larry Brown, Stephen Davis ... John Riggins. (He's also ahead of anyone on the Giants. Hell, he'd be ahead of anyone on the Giants even if you didn't count his insanely productive rookie season. That team isn't known for its RBs.)

THAT is a tough guy. That's a guy who you know, when he takes the field, you can count on him to pound the ball all day and he WILL get you the tough yards.

Personally, my definition of a 'downhill runner' is a guy who gets tougher to tackle the further down the field he goes. A guy who thrives on momentum. Alfred Morris is definitely that.

Is he a complete back? Well, he's not much of a receiver out of the backfield. He's not particularly shifty. But he's a hits a hole smart and fast and he gets the yards that are there. Jacobs ran forward, got hit and went down. A lot. Sure he got ok at it for a few years as part of a committee, but noone ever worried about Jacobs as the focus of an offense, or even just the running game. Not ever. Morris has done it for three years, and he continues to be really good at it.

Last edited:
Why anyone would suggest this is not a 'downhill back' has me thinking the issue is how one defines the term.

(Listen to the audio at your own risk.)

Why anyone would suggest this is not a 'downhill back' has me thinking the issue is how one defines the term.

Man I'm ready for some football.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.