• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL Philosophy: Redskins Roster Evaluation

He's not a N-S downhill runner like those three guys listed above, or Matt Jones for that matter. Nor does he break tackles as well as those listed.

I've heard of beast mode. Brandon Jacobs was a freaking animal. Frank Gore runs straight ahead. I've never heard of Alfred mode.

And that's no knock on Alfred. He's great in the right system.

So it's Shanny vs. Scot. Zone-blocking vs. power running.

Go back to Shanny mode and give the QB less time, or go with Scot and give the QB better protection?

Last edited:
Yeah, actually he is.

Matt Jones is a rookie who's never even played a down. He's not even worth discussing until he suits up.

You comparing shan vs Scot is ridiculous. It's not Scot calling any plays nor on the field. Give morris a good line and he's pro bowl every year.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Well let's see how he does this year in a power running scheme. He'll have an improved line.

Any guess as to why Scot drafted power runner Matt Jones in the third round then?

Could be to give morris a break and his contract upcoming..

McD, are you still claiming our OLine was decent last year? The OLine that couldn't block for Robert or Alfred, yet Morris still had a decent year? Our OLine SUCKED and Morris was and will be a stud.

Oh, and Brandon Jacobs doesn't belong anywhere near this conversation. That dude was huge, played well for a season or two and then teams figured out if you hit him hard, he folded like a cheap tent. He was done.

That ain't Alfred.

Actually, I think he is more of a N-S runner than you are characterizing him as Mike. In order to hit 'the hole', there has to BE a 'hole'. Our suck-ass OL has turned him into a more E-W runner. The alternative is running into a brick wall. Improve the OL and you'll see him become much more of a straight ahead RB.

As to McLovin and Gruden's 'preferences' - I think most would agree that they favor a power running game. That's not the same thing as saying they require a N-S RB. Morris is a tough as hell, fall forward, never give an inch kind of a back. That's as essential for the power running game as anything else.

Well let's see how he does this year in a power running scheme. He'll have an improved line.

Any guess as to why Scot drafted power runner Matt Jones in the third round then?

Riiiiight Mike. Because we all know - when a team drafts at a given position, its because the current players at that position are inadequate. Our new draft strategy is BPA. They drafted Jones because they felt they got best value there. It had nothing to do with Alfred Morris.

Could be to give morris a break and his contract upcoming..

That's possible. But with a third rounder and with so many other holes to upgrade?

It's also possible that the evaluation of him in the article turns out to be correct.

That's possible. But with a third rounder and with so many other holes to upgrade?

It's also possible that the evaluation of him in the article turns out to be correct.
You're looking for a reason. Scot said he took BPA...and he did.

Oh, and Brandon Jacobs doesn't belong anywhere near this conversation. That dude was huge, played well for a season or two and then teams figured out if you hit him hard, he folded like a cheap tent. He was done. That ain't Alfred.

Is this a joke? He's the all-time franchise leader in rushing TDs. A season or two?

Who have the vagiants ever had for that record to even be impressive?

Joe morris?
Ron Dayne?

I see the joke...and it's not goals post

Actually, I think he is more of a N-S runner than you are characterizing him as Mike. In order to hit 'the hole', there has to BE a 'hole'. Our suck-ass OL has turned him into a more E-W runner. The alternative is running into a brick wall. Improve the OL and you'll see him become much more of a straight ahead RB.

As to McLovin and Gruden's 'preferences' - I think most would agree that they favor a power running game. That's not the same thing as saying they require a N-S RB. Morris is a tough as hell, fall forward, never give an inch kind of a back. That's as essential for the power running game as anything else.

I don't disagree with anything you've written here. I don't. I like Alfred.

I also keep an open mind to some of the comments from the evaluation in this article. Like "fails to follow his fullback" and "one cut runner whose only worth is in a zone run scheme."

Let's see how it plays out. Let's see if he can adjust to the new scheme.

Who have the vagiants ever had for that record to even be impressive?

Joe morris?
Ron Dayne?

I see the joke...and it's not goals post

I have no interest in defending the Giants.

I think most would agree that saying Brandon Jacobs "played well for a season or two and then teams figured out if you hit him hard, he folded like a cheap tent" is probably less than accurate. Borders on bizzaro world.

Mike, I'd venture to say you put yourself out on these far limbs reaching to make points and using players that we normally hate. Jacobs wasn't a great back, he was a serviceable back who had problems on and off the field. You've compared him to a back who has given his all for 3 years at a very cheap price and is beloved by the community.

I've come to realize you're a college fan. You see these shiny players like Winston and Jones play in college and automatically assume it's going to work in the pros. But you trying to see a prospect over a proven pro just won't fly with any real fan who watches the game.

I also wouldn't throw the word absurd around too loosely....just saying

I have no interest in defending the Giants.

I think most would agree that saying Brandon Jacobs "played well for a season or two and then teams figured out if you hit him hard, he folded like a cheap tent" is probably less than accurate. Borders on bizzaro world.
Teams feared him for a year or two, then he broke down. He couldn't keep it going because he wasn't that great. He was one dimensional at best, in fact teams feared Bradshaw much more than Jacobs.

Morris is a much better back. It's not close, McD.

Marshawn Lynch has had a lot of problems off the field.

I'm no Brandon Jacobs fan. But to say he had one or two good years when he's the franchise leader in rushing TDs is pretty ridiculous. I'm no Tiki Barber fan either....just saying.

Jacobs career rushing TDs: 60
Alfred so far: 28

I'd already say Alfred's had more than "one or two good seasons."

You're not? You sure won't let it go for someone not a fan.

Compare years and surrounding teams, mike. Stop cherry picking stats.

lucy.jpg

You get what you pay for.

Why can't we both admire Morris and give him his due credit AND be excited about Matt Jones without turning it into a negative of some kind? At some point, it becomes nothing but pot-stirring. How about we stir the pot regarding actual problems and shortcomings this squad has, instead of doing it at one of our strongest positions?

I just don't get it.

Why can't we both admire Morris and give him his due credit AND be excited about Matt Jones without turning it into a negative of some kind? At some point, it becomes nothing but pot-stirring. How about we stir the pot regarding actual problems and shortcomings this squad has, instead of doing it at one of our strongest positions?

I just don't get it.

I have zero idea if Matt Jones will work out. Absolutely none. I will say that I saw him in college and he runs over people, for what that's worth. He's a load to bring down.

I am open to the idea that Morris excels in a zone blocking scheme, and not a power running scheme, and that's what Scot has favored in both Gore and Lynch.

It's a learning season for many. Fans (me first), and players alike. Only time will tell if RG3 can learn a new system, and Morris is learning one too. Hopefully it shakes out well for all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.