• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Did Vinny tell us the truth 6 years ago?

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
The thought struck me whilst digging about online to Google Vinny Cerrato in search for information that might help me understand his decision making processes. I'm still at it and will continue to post anything I think might be interesting-but I ran across something today that made me wonder if he had told us what Dan Snyder's actual input into things is six years ago.

Washington Post online edition-May 2, 2003-Vinny was taking online questions from fans regarding the Redskins draft plans for 2003-I'll post the article link below-but one question, and Vinny's answer really jumped out at me.

Carmel Valley, Calif.: The Redskins run their front office differently than other teams since there is no General Manager. I have two questions:

Who has the final say in identifying team needs going into the draft?

How are deviations from this plan agreed upon and who has the final say?

Vinny Cerrato: Dan Snyder.

If VC was actually telling it like it was in 2003, is this still the case in 2009/2010? If so, I may have to absolve Vinny from much of the blame I've laid upon him and place it elsewhere. Anyway, here's the link to the article:http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/zforum/03/sp_sports_cerrato050203.htm

That was the set up back then. I think this was also the set up when Gibbs was here, I remember seeing a comment similar to that. Supposedly with his promotion, Vinny was given all control, but Snyder personally making scouting trips, maybe he feels like Vinny can't do the job anymore, and wants to take back over for himself? Ugh.

I fully believe Snyder has a dominant hand in everything the Redskins do, both on and off the field. It's his 'fatal flaw'. And I think the even bigger problem is, he has no insight whatsover into the impact of his involvement at a detailed level. That's the curse of someone who made millions 'his own way', eschewing the traditional approach to business. He thinks he's smarter than everyone else, and acts accordingly. You'd think this year would've humbled even the most arrogant man. But I doubt it's even made a dent in his psyche. I'll frankly be shocked if any major operational changes are made as a result of this season. He'll simply hold a 'blamestorming session' and those deemed 'responsible' will be gone, or he'll stubbornly refuse to admit there's anything at all wrong organizationally and stubbornly continue down our present path.

No, it shows Vinny's weakness. A real personnel director would not allow the meddling and would leave to take a job with another team. The fact that is not an option for Cerrato shows how he is judged as his peers.

Vinny's comments on his radio show though indicate how flawed his own judgments are.

In reflecting back on the Jason Taylor trade he said he would do it again in a heartbeat as the decision to 'acquire a pro bowl defensive end who was named player of the year' is a no-brainer.

Well, it IS a no-brainer if you consider the following:

1. Is he at an age where he is worth the compensation back to Miami?

2. Does he fit into the Redskins scheme and will he be effective at a new position?

3. Do the Redskins have the player signed to a term that legitimizes what the #2 pick Miami acquires would contribute over the next 2-3 years?

In retrospect, any observer with an eye could see that Taylor at 6'5 and 244 was not going to hold up at DE in a 4-3 alignment at LDE with Andre Carter on the other side.

This defense with Taylor on the filed would get crushed in the run game and that's exactly what happened when the team opened the season in NY.

At 34, Taylor was also a player with a limited shelf-life. Acquiring a player that age indicates you feel your team is at the edge of competing for a title.

No one thought the 8-8 Redskins had the talent to go to the Super Bowl in 2008.

Once again, Vinny had overestimated the 9-7 finish in 2007 and not recognized that the performance of the team was heavily influenced by the memory of Sean Taylor.

Like the Lions who rallied around Mike Utley in 1991 and finished 12-4, the momentum did not last and by the next season the team had lost that edge. Without it, the Redskins had a mediocre roster.

The other aspect of this is that whether you have a GM or don't have a GM, whether you are trying to acquire experienced talent to balance out youth, or go young across the board, the one obvious thing we lack is an organizational philosophy. We don't know what our consistent, steady, non-wavering approach IS, because for the past decade it's boiled down to 'Whatever Mr. Snyder Wants'.

Any successful organization, if it's going to be successful, has to have a very clear mission/purpose, some core values, and processes that are aligned to ensure that they can repeatedly produce success in the areas that matter most to the organization.

I don't think the Redskins have a clue why they aren't succeeding. And I would be surprised if they'd taken even basic steps themselves to discover why their organization is failing.

It will be the following reasons the Skins failed this year:

1. Jim Zorn
2. Jason Campbell
3. Injuries

FO perfect in every way except that they weren't able to get either Sanchez or Cutler.

And they will fix that by using their 1st rounder on Jimmy Clausen.

Last edited:
It will be the following reasons the Skins failed this year:

1. Jim Zorn
2. Jason Campbell
3. Injuries

FO perfect in every way except that they weren't able to get either Sanchez or Cutler.

And they will fix that by using their 1st rounder on Jimmy Clausen.

Unfortunately, I believe you are dead on, here. I don't think Snyder or Cerrato have learned anything over the past decade, other than how to appease a desperate and tired fan base with a few games of decent football. I admit I have felt more hopeful the past four weeks or so, but these feelings are tempered a day or two removed from game day.

Who is this team, now, and what can we reasonably expect from them next season? I can't answer this question, and I have little faith that the powers that be can answer it, either. What I assume they're thinking is: hire an "experienced" coach, draft a franchise QB, and sit back as we pile up the wins. Common sense tells us this approach will lead to nothing but more failure.

What do we, as lowly fans, have to look forward to? That ownership/management will finally, after a decade, finally, magically see the light? Let's hold our breath, and see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.