• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

If You Could Change One Play....

LoyalSkinsFan

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I saw this question posed via NFL Network on Twitter and thought would be a fun question to put to all of us here.

What ONE play in Redskin history (that you can remember) would you change the outcome of if you could?

Aaaaand, GO!

Theismann pass at end of first half in the Super Bowl against the Raiders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current - Griffin's run against Baltimore that hurt his knee.

Past - Theismann's flea flicker that ended his career.

Honestly, I have a few....but one that jumped out at me was in Super Bowl VII (yup, I'm that old). Early in the 4th quarter, 2nd down from the Dolphin's 10 years line. Kilmer lofts a ball to a wide open Jerry Smith in the corner of the end zone.....and the ball hits the crossbar - which in those days was at the FRONT of the end zone.

We scored later on the Mike Bass interception return (thanks, Garo), but having that TD might have changed the day. Momentum was definitely with us....

Oh well.

The Mark Rypien/Brian Mitchell fumble in the 92 playoffs. If Mitchell gets the ball and holds on, he has a huge hole. Maybe he scores or maybe the drive continues. Instead, the 49ers get the ball, work the clock, kick a FG to go up 7 and the Redskins need a miracle. If the Redskins win that game, they play dallas the next week in the NFC championship. Perhaps they win and head back to the Super Bowl looking for the repeat.

Instead, that play signified the end of an era. Gibbs retired and the team went from being consistently great to consistently bad. Maybe that doesn't change, but it would have been great to go out on top.

For the sake of just not embarrassing the team, swinging gate. That'll always be a top 5 worst play calls ever.

There were several plays against the Seahawks in 2005 and 2007 playoff games that cost us the chance to move on and who knows what would e happened. The drop of a certain TD INT by Hands of Stone Rogers was a soul-crusher. And I was there for that one :) we had the Seahawks reeling 2 years later and still managed to give the game away..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The play where Sean got injured....its what let him go back to Miami and eventually killed.

Just last year when Griff rolled his ankle, we'll never know how things might have transpired if he actually continued to play, learn and find that page with Gruden.

How about Vinnie Testeverde to Patrick Crayton in 2004? That was a soul-crusher. Couple that with the phantom procedure call negating the go-ahead TD against Green Bay and 8-8 turned into 6-10.

Old school: There were a couple of plays in the 1979 finale against Dallas, including a fumble with less than 5 minutes left when we were in Dallas territory, and then Riggins getting stopped on 3rd and short on the series after Dallas scored to cut it to 6. Would've liked to have seen what that team could've done in the playoffs, although many point out that if Riggins doesn't hold out in '80 and the team doesn't crater, we never get a chance to hire Joe Gibbs going into '81.

New era: Boone brings up good ones about 2005 and 2007. In 2005, would've been nice if the refs had ruled correctly that Alstott didn't make it in at the end of the Tampa regular season game. If we had won that game, I believe we would've gotten a first-round bye, and it would've been nice to have had a home playoff game during Gibbs 2. In 2007, yeah, what if Cooley holds onto a catch at the Seattle 1 and we score a TD instead of missing a FG? Maybe a playoff win and then perhaps beating Dallas (who did lose to the Giants) convinces Gibbs to stick around in 2008, although I'm not sure if he would've lasted longer than one more year anyway, and don't know how successful that season would've turned out....I think that Gibbs' assessment of the talent level of his squad, especially with the tragic Taylor murder, played a role in his decision to leave.

Speaking of Gibbs, I have mixed feelings about that '92 SF playoff game that turned out to be the last of his first run. Even though we had beaten Dallas late in the regular season in that wild game at RFK, I just think that, in retrospect, you were seeing a Cowboys team about at its peak in the playoffs that year, and I fear they would've stomped us at Texas Stadium in the NFCCG.

How about Vinnie Testeverde to Patrick Crayton in 2004? That was a soul-crusher. Couple that with the phantom procedure call negating the go-ahead TD against Green Bay and 8-8 turned into 6-10.
:twitch:

The play where Sean got injured....its what let him go back to Miami and eventually killed.

Jeez. I was at that game too...against Philly. I have a couple pics of Sean from the sideline during warm ups.

I've been to three of the games listed already and I don't get to many games. If I didn't know better.....

Let's not forget the botched field goal that would have beaten Tampa in the playoffs during the 90's. Norv was coaching and the center, one of the Turk brothers, was so upset he didn't fly home with the team.

It's like a Smörgåsbord of pain...

Speaking of Gibbs, I have mixed feelings about that '92 SF playoff game that turned out to be the last of his first run. Even though we had beaten Dallas late in the regular season in that wild game at RFK, I just think that, in retrospect, you were seeing a Cowboys team about at its peak in the playoffs that year, and I fear they would've stomped us at Texas Stadium in the NFCCG.

Well, since we are re-writing history, why not write it for the best. Plus, at that time, the one thing you could be sure of is that the Redskins vs Cowboys was unpredictable. You mention the crazy game at RFK that year. The Redskins winning the start of next year, albeit with Emmitt Smith holding out. Then the Redskins sweeping the cowboys in 95 when dallas went to the super bowl again. The point is, who is to say the Redskins don't win that game if they don't fumble away the San Francisco game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.