• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Players Tribune: Albert Haynesworth Letter to My Younger Self

DixieFlatline

BGO NFL Pickem Champ 2021
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Alma Mater
William and Mary
Letter to My Younger Self | The Players' Tribune

Not sure what to make of this as normally I would say it is pretty introspective. It is interesting, but this guy left an extremely bad taste in my mouth.

Here are some Skins related quotes
Oh, when you get on that first phone call with Dan Snyder and the organization in Washington, it’ll be all good. “We want you to play just like you did in Tennessee, Albert. We’re going to let you loose and destroy the Giants, Cowboys and Eagles. That’s your job.”

Then during your first OTA, you’re going to be introduced to a different brand of football. I can already see you rolling your damn eyes. How can football be different? I’m a defensive lineman. Well, football in Washington versus football in Tennessee was like the difference between a general physician and a cardiologist. Both doctors. One is just a little more sophisticated.

People are going to be all over you for your contract, and you’re going to feel really frustrated. You’re going to do some dumb things. But what people aren’t going to see is Mike Shanahan calling you into his office and saying, “Albert, we just want you to eat up space. All we want you to do is grab the center and let the linebackers run free.”

You’re going to look at this famous NFL head coach in total disbelief and say, “You want to pay me $100 million to grab the center?”

And he’s going to say, with a straight face, “Albert, if you have more than one sack this season, I’m going to be pissed.”

The last thing you’ll say before walking out of the office is, “Can’t you just pay someone $300,000 a year to do that?”

man...how do you have no money after a $100 million contract?!!!!!

Its called karma...you are a no good human being. Nobody feels sorry for you.

Lmao, do he really wants us to believe he didn't know that other teams used different defensive schemes? And wasn't he here before shanny?

I have no problem believing that Shanny did not utilize Alberto correctly, or that Hazlett underutilized him.

I also believe Haynesworth should have shut his mouth and done what was asked of him. Pretty sure when you're getting paid that much, STFU and do what you're told is SOP.

He was here a season before Shanny, yeah. So what was his excuse then? What was his excuse for constantly being gassed and the belly flops?

Piece of crap human being, plain and simple.

Nick

Poor Al. I'll think of him the next time I wipe my ass.

That's quite the intimate moment you'd be sharing, are you sure you're okay having him in on that?

Pretty sure when you're getting paid that much, STFU and do what you're told is SOP.

In theory yes, but I wonder how many times that fails to happen.
In practice, as opposed to theory, it is probably a lot less SOP than we might think.
Selfishness and greed are not relegated to only a select, small few
I'm sure Al is not the first or last one to be guilty of that. He just happens to be one of the extreme cases, and more in the spotlight because of the exposure he got as a Redskin.

Last edited:
These guys are getting paid what they think they are worth. The amount of money from their perspective is irrelevant. We view it as stupid crazy money for playing a game, which it very much is. But that's just not how they see it. They make millions while helping the team owners earn billions. From a purely economic/business stand point, they are compensated accordingly. So it's not a fair generalization to expect a player to just shut up and play cause he's making millions or tens of. I certainly don't do such a thing in my job(If they start paying me millions, I might consider though :) ). At some point I would just go find another job if I didn't like my employer. These players sign for a lot of money, but they are signing. They have limited options if the team changes how they are used. They can't just change to a new team. So on some level, I can understand being recalcitrant in such a situation. However, as fan, fat Al is a big worthless waste, who didn't earn his keep in any way and nothing he could say would justify his utter ineptitude while here.

Oh spare me. He's the epitome of a FLOP

Fat & Lazy Once Paid.

**** him, his regrets and the douchebag who brought him here who thought it would be different. My voice still hurts from the eagles game where he lay on his fat face. I hope he chokes on any money he has left.

it's a team sport.

that's why McLovin is refreshing - one of his priorities is finding players who are about team and winning first. he won't always hit....but my bet is we don't trap ourselves into outliers like Haynesworth during McL's watch.

Lest anyone forget ... the real Albert Haynesworth.

What really chaps my ass is that we ever brought the sick f*** here in the first place.

he was the best DT in the league when we paid to bring him here, he was the best dlineman on our roster when we used him right, and he was an odious human being who sucked as a person. but I blame shanny and snyder, you dont sign the leagues best 3tech, pay him 100 million and then change your scheme to a 3-4 and make him a nose tackle. that was the beginning of ugly here. eff you shanny and haslett

I tell you what Ryman. I did not want us to sign him.

After we did though, I predicted he would be Defensive Player of The Year. Hey, I'm a proud, card carrying homer. I agree with you that it was a massive mistake to not use him, the way he had already proven was highly productive.
Not to mention the poorly timed and executed switch to the 3-4.

However, it's hard to imagine that he still wouldn't have been a major team disruption, and royal piece of shit, in every other way.
Instead of Defensive Player of The Year, we got Offensive Pile of Human Excrement.

**** him eternally.

I wish there were a hell. I get giddy imagining him and Shamahan sharing a room for all eternity.

Oh well. It's all about Pot Roast now. HTTR!!!

I did want us to sign him, at the time we were heavy on d ends, had a solid back 7 and had no DT's who could collapse the pocket from a 3 tech. we were a decent team who couldnt get pressure from our front 4 because qbs would step up in the pocket and avoid our ends. I figured if we got a great 3 tech and even a decent 1 tech we would have a defence that could stop people Clos was a good cover cb who couldnt catch but could cover. then we got fat albert and we stopped blitzing but even so he flashed what we would be able to do with a more aggressive scheme. then we signed shanny and I said if he tries to force a scheme change it will set us back 5 years. and he did

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.