• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Greg Cosell's Coaching tape: Redskins' O vs. Saints' D

DieselPwr44

The Owner's Favorite
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.fantasyguru.com/StaffBlog/2009/12/11/cosells-coaching-tape-week-thirteen-121009-notes/

A few highlights:

Campbell very robotic and mechanical in his reads and throws, Does not recognize and react to coverage on his drop, Strong tendency to throw the ball where the play is designed to go.

Campbell not a move and re-set QB, That’s when he breaks down and struggles

Thomas did not show the kind of vertical explosiveness that matches his fast 40 yard dash time; At this point, he does not play fast

◦Redskins do not really have any consistent intermediate passing game, In fact I rarely see those kinds of throws

About Greg Cosell:

During the season, Greg publishes his raw notes that he compiles while analyzing NFL coach’s tape at NFL Films. In a typical week, Greg breaks down 10-12 matchups.

In 1984, Greg, along with NFL Films President Steve Sabol, created the “Matchup” concept. The resulting show was called “Monday Night Matchup,” and it began as a breakdown of each week’s Monday night game. For the first three years of its existence, the show was hosted by ESPN’s Chris Berman.

Over the years, the show transitioned from a singular breakdown of the Monday night game to a detailed analysis of the 6-7 top games played each Sunday in the NFL. It is the most respected football show in the industry, a direct consequence of the process by which the show is produced. Greg and the show’s talent, Ron Jaworski and Merril Hoge, study and evaluate what is called “coaching tape.” It shows all 22 players on the field on every play; it is the same tape used by coaches and players in the NFL to game plan each and every week
http://www.fantasyguru.com/StaffBlog/greg-cosell/

i would tend to agree with cosell's observations about campbell.

i am 180 degrees away from him on his thomas assessment -- i think he displays explosiveness after the catch and the few times he has had an opportunity to return kickoffs.

Have to admit it's a little irritating, in an admittedly egotistical way, to have the same exact observations one has been making for a long time seemingly 'validated' simply because someone with access to coach's tape makes them.

Jason Campbell doesn't read/react well after the snap? Who knew?

Okay, enough whining. It's a beautiful sunny Saturday. :cool2:

I agree on Thomas - I think he's still learning, and that may contribute to a little 'hesitancy' that I believe Cosell may be mistaking for a lack of 'explosiveness'. Thomas is going to turn out to be one of the year's few bright spots for the Redskins. Whether he could ever be a #1 WR, vs. a solid, productive #2, that remains to be seen. But you could say that about nearly every first round WR taken early on in their NFL careers, barring a very few exceptions.

Have to admit it's a little irritating, in an admittedly egotistical way, to have the same exact observations one has been making for a long time seemingly 'validated' simply because someone with access to coach's tape makes them.

Jason Campbell doesn't read/react well after the snap? Who knew?

Heh, I don't think this was posted for your benefit, Om. :)

More on Campbell:
Campbell panicked in the pocket on his fourth quarter interception with :35 left, He lost his pocket poise and composure
-Campbell choked when the pressure was on? I AM SHOCKED!

Despite his impressive numbers, Campbell did not really look that impressive on film; He’s not really a comfortable QB with a refined sense of reading and timing
-The numbers don't say it all, as usual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.