• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Deflategate--the gift that keeps on giving

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Brady should subpoena Goodell's cell phone. I'll give 2-to-1 its contacts list includes Sepp Blatter.

Why Roger Goodell might be in tough spot on Tom Brady suspension

Tom Brady is said to be seeking total exoneration, and it appears he’s entitled to it. The idea that Brady and the New England Patriots intentionally deflated footballs for a competitive advantage has been discredited by everyone from sidewalk chemists to Web physicists to unlicensed ceramicists, not to mention your own common sense. But most importantly, it is utterly shredded in a new scientific analysis by the American Enterprise Institute, which shows the only inflation problem is in NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s head.

The NFL paid millions for a fundamentally flawed report by lawyer Ted Wells that made Brady and the Patriots out to be slam-dunk guilty, based on more than 100 pages of mathematical analysis of ball pressurization . . . that turns out to be erroneous. The AEI’s report totally rejects the finding that the footballs used by the Patriots in the AFC championship game had a significant drop in air pressure compared with those used by the Colts. But the truly damning sentence is this one, buried in its erudite phrasings and equations: “The Wells report’s statistical analysis cannot be replicated by performing the analysis as described in the report,” the AEI concludes.

Basically, the math didn’t add up. It’s a standard principle in science: If you can’t replicate a set of results, then there is a problem with it. A flaw or a fraud is at work. Either you made a mistake, or you made it up...

Well, can't subpoena it if it's been destroyed. :)

Tom Brady finally got the punishment he deserved

Good for you Roger Goodell. In spite of all logic, good sense and threats of protracted legal battles, the NFL commissioner held firm in upholding the legitimate four-game suspension of Tom Brady for his assumed role in Deflategate. While the popular sentiment had been that Goodell would reduce the suspension to one or two games, he flexed his muscles once again in keeping Brady off the field for the first month. The commissioner who seemed to have all the authority of a mall cop this spring is suddenly the Draconian overseer once more.

It seems that Brady’s phone was at the center of the decision to uphold the suspension, as the NFL claimed Brady instructed an assistant to destroy it before the Super Bowl-winning quarterback spoke with Ted Wells. That was apparently all Goodell needed. Brady didn’t deserve any leeway from the NFL in the first place. The phone evidently cinched it.

The lack of a cell phone doesn't prove ****, as far as deflated balls
Maybe he destroyed it for other personal reasons, perhaps because he was cheating on Gisele, and doesn't want that made public

Well, the NFL isn't a criminal court, so the appearance of guilt is sufficient, and destroying the phone was an impactful act regardless of why he destroyed it. There's no question he was aware of and drove the deflation IMO. You gotta be pretty naïve to believe he's innocent. There are probably a dozen other QB's breathing a sigh of relief it wasn't them who got caught. :)

destroying the phone was an impactful act regardless of why he destroyed it.

He says he destroyed it because it was broken and he replaced the Samsung with an iPhone.
If I'm famous like Tom Brady, whether or not I did anything wrong, I would have done the same thing to the phone, before upgrading, because in his position, there's too many vultures, tabloids, paparazzi that would love to get a hold of that phone.
Supposedly it contained 10,000 texts. That's a gold-mine, for "Privacy Invaders" like tabloids
I said before it doesn't prove he did anything wrong.
So let me put it this way. It doesn't remotely come anywhere near proving he did anything wrong.
So, now it's against NFL rules to get rid of personal data, regardless of the reason ?
That puts thousands of NFL players in jeopardy, who own a paper shredder.
He was under no obligation to keep that phone, if Goodell did not make a demand for it, prior to that "impactful act".
He had a right to do what he did. But because it made things "inconvenient" for Goodell, and that's all, now Brady is penalized for just that.

Last edited:
Actually, according to Brady's attorney, he routinely 'cycles through' phones as well as routinely deleting emails and texts in case he misplaces the phone to protect his privacy. And per the attorney, they provided a ton of information to the league voluntarily - in start contrast to what some of the 'leaks' coming out of the NFL front office imply.

Also, steve, if we use that same criteria you suggested to other players, then Crowder would be disciplined.
Crowder immediately deleted his instagram account and all those pictures. That was certainly an "impactful act" upon the investigation. And since it's "regardless of why he destroyed it", then the act alone would be grounds for discipline, based on your above criteria.

Odds Are Stacked Against Tom Brady Successfully Suing The NFL

The NFL’s final decision includes the following: “The most significant new information that emerged in connection with the appeal was evidence that on or about March 6, 2015 — the very day that he was interviewed by Mr. Wells and his investigative team — Mr. Brady instructed his assistant to destroy the cellphone that he had been using since early November 2014, a period that included the AFC Championship Game and the initial weeks of the subsequent investigation. During the four months that it was in use, almost 10,000 text messages were sent or received by Mr. Brady using that cellphone. At the time that he arranged for its destruction, Mr. Brady knew that Mr. Wells and his team had requested information from that cellphone in connection with their investigation.”

That could serve as a major problem for Brady in an effort to vacate the final decision. Essentially, it could be determined that Brady engaged in spoliation of evidence — that he violated a duty to preserve evidence (his cellphone and its roughly 10,000 text messages) during the pendency of the investigation and during his appeal of the four game suspension. Courts have treated spoliation of evidence in different ways and will, at times, sanction an individual for purposefully destroying what could be meaningful evidence. Here, the NFL maintains that the text messages expressly referred to inflation and deflation of footballs as well as “needles” in the context of deflating footballs. A court of law may look at this and be reluctant to vacate a decision; it does not make Brady appear to have been acting in good faith when he failed to hold on to highly relevant evidence with knowledge of the likelihood of an appeal and an adverse decision.

Of course, Goodell could be lying.

I'm just so sick and tired of seeing both Brady and Kraft on television night after night complaining, whining, and talking shit about it all I wish they'd just get the suspension over with. Watching Kraft on television last night talk about "I wouldnt have done this if I knew...." STFU!! You did know what was going to happen but you thought that by not arguing you'd get things in your favor. well, you didn't! So suck it up buttercup, nobody forced you to admit guilt, nobody held a gun to your head, and nobody forced you to allow the cheating to go on.

Remember when OJ got away with murder and then got caught going after the guy who stole his memorabilia? They threw the book at him because they hadn't the times before and wanted to get him when they could. Brady smashing that phone might not have been a sign of guilt but it was enough of an excuse to get him.

Also, steve, if we use that same criteria you suggested to other players, then Crowder would be disciplined.
Crowder immediately deleted his instagram account and all those pictures. That was certainly an "impactful act" upon the investigation. And since it's "regardless of why he destroyed it", then the act alone would be grounds for discipline, based on your above criteria.

This isn't about absolute guilt or innocence It's a workplace punishment, not a criminal conviction. The appearance is he destroyed evidence, regardless of the reality. And you can't dismiss the timing of the phone destruction. I've heard no rebuttal from his camp that he didn't do it when reported. Any normal employee would simply be fired and replaced. The balls were deflated. No way he didn't know or condone it. Frankly, it's all blown out of proportion. Had he just came out and said he encouraged the ball boys to get the balls to a low a pressure as possible, he could have been fined and had it over with.

There was proof we DIDNT collude & still got penalized like a mofo. I bet Kraft along with Mara and the other shady owners were the ones saying "just pay the fine already", to Dan.

Not an oz of pity for their go at BS league treatment. It's in spirit of deflating footballs!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.