• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

QB Jason Campbell retiring

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
For a brief time, I thought we might have really found something in Campbell. The cool under fire he exhibited when he first started with the Redskins, the big-time NFL arm, the humility and work ethic ... I was ready to believe.

Sadly, he never took the big leap from potential to production---a product both of his own limitations and the dysfunctional organizations he served in here and at his other subsequent NFL stops---but it doesn't feel right just letting him walk quietly off into the dusk.

Thanks for some good memories, Jason.

Jason Campbell likely to retire after 10 seasons

Jason Campbell is ready to call it a career.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Campbell plans to retire after 10 seasons in the league. Rapoport added that the decision is not official, but that is the plan as training camps approach...

Campbell -- who also started games for the Redskins, Raiders and Bears -- has thrown for 16,771 yards in his career with 87 touchdowns and 60 interceptions.

The Redskins traded up to land Campbell with the 25th overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft. He spent five seasons in Washington and started all 16 games in both the 2008 and 2009 campaigns...

Great guy and took a hell of a beating. He just never really had a chance with so many coordinators and systems put in place without the talent around him.

Agreed Mike. He's the kind of guy that with a consistent system and more solid talent around him could've had greater success.

Antwan Randel-El is the athletic director where my oldest goes to school. I think of JC every time I see him and constantly want so say "What's up, Rundellel?"

Nick

Does he run backwards when you approach him like that ?

That actually made me snort LOL!!!

He did think I was talking to him once when my son said something and I asked "What did you say, buddy,?" Rundellel turned around and asked "How you doin', man?"

I felt so bad that I "forced" myself to have a conversation with him... good dude.

Nick

He had a lot of chances... However, had to overcome a lot of problems with the organization and he took beatings yeah, but lets not rewrite history. He had a windup that belonged in major league softball, although he ran for his life a LOT. Good solid dude who was just a guy - and a decent player for 3 quarters a game. Not trying to bang on him too bad here don't get me wrong, I was there pushing for him right along with most until it became evident we saw his best and it was just kind of meh. Sorry to see him retire, was hoping he could Kerry Collins himself around a few more years and maybe land on a decent team and get a shot at something. Thanks for posting that video some nice deep balls in there I had all but forgotten about!

That's kind of where I am on Jason, DM. No, his teams were never really all that great. But the cold unvarnished truth is that neither was he. He was "just a guy." A very pleasant one, yes, but still just a guy in NFL terms.

His being a nice guy worked against him. He never seemed to have the fire or competitiveness to reach another level.

He seemed content to be an NFL player and a normal guy off the field.

Just never appeared to be motivated to be one of the best.

I can recall Moss yelling at him about hand signals for audibles on the sidelines as well. he just never seemed to "get" playbooks or calls.

but when he appeared in that Soul Glo commercial I knew right then and there I needed to get a jersey with juice dripped all over it.

Another in a long line of Redskins QB's that held the ball too long because he struggled reading defenses.

Here's video footage of him leaving Ashburn:

Great character, but for all the distance he might be able to get on a throw, he had no field vision, a pitifully slow release, major accuracy issues, and no zip on the ball. I think Gibbs was misled by his run with Rypien, who struggled at times on midrange throws but had a HOF caliber deep ball. Times change, and the best QBs can do what JC absolutely could not - thread the needle.

and of course the Redskins traded UP into the first round to take Campbell in 2005.

just like we HAD to trade up in 2006 to take Rocky McIntosh because he was the next Dick Butkus.

and of course the Redskins traded UP into the first round to take Campbell in 2005.

just like we HAD to trade up in 2006 to take Rocky McIntosh because he was the next Dick Butkus.

You can say that again.

If only we had traded down a few spots and taken Rodgers instead of Rogers.

For all his brilliance as a coach, Gibbs was not a clever evaluator of talent. Whereas Beathard could find diamonds in the rough from small schools or guys who'd been injured their senior year, Gibbs was infatuated with players who came from winning programs - hence picking 2 guys from National champion Auburn in the 1st round.

Last edited:
Boone and I were talking about the Campbell/Rogers thing over a few libations last week. Interesting thing we'll never really know about Rodgers is how he would have fared in the NFL had he not landed on a team that could sit him for four full years before getting on the field. That's old-school stuff ... the way QB's used to be made.

Put Rodgers on the field as a first- or second-year guy, on a bad team, and who knows what direction he career might have gone.

That said, yeah. It woulda been nice to see for ourselves right here in DC.

You guys had time during your bromance for football talk?

Where this organization was in 2005 I doubt they take Rodgers even if he was available at #25.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.