• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

RG3 Development Tracker 2015

I'm staying medium ... but liking.

Redskins Quarterbacks Coach Matt Cavanaugh on RG3?s Mechanics « CBS DC

WASHINGTON — Much has been made this offseason about the Redskins fixing starting quarterback Robert Griffin III.

The day-to-day work of that continued development in fundamentals fall to quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh. Griffin still works with offensive coordinator Sean McVay and head coach Jay Gruden. But Cavanaugh’s sole focus is to work with Griffin – and reserves Colt McCoy and Kirk Cousins.

That day-to-day process lost something last year as Gruden and McVay were spread thin with other duties. Griffin spent time in the offseason working with quarterback guru Terry Shea and had a minicamp of his own, of sorts, in Florida with some of his wide receivers. But the Redskins were anxious to get Griffin back to Redskins Park and under the supervision of their own coaches, too.

According to Cavanaugh, Griffin has a long stride. Sometimes when he moves around in the pocket it is difficult for him to re-set and keep his mechanics sound. He’s worked with Griffin all spring to focus on setting himself again and then delivering the ball in rhythm. That comes naturally for some quarterbacks. For others, they have to drill it constantly to make it stick.

“There’s flashes where [Griffin] goes on runs of 10, 12, 15 plays where everything’s right and then he’ll slip a little bit,” Cavanaugh said. “But then he gets back. He now knows when he doesn’t feel comfortable and he can figure it out watching on tape. So that’s encouraging. Getting better at anything you’ve got to be aware of it. And I think he’s become very aware of some of the things that we want him to do a little bit differently.”

Griffin was excellent on Tuesday during a minicamp practice. There have been other times during sessions open to the media that Griffin has regressed to old habits – holding on to the ball too long, inaccurate passes, interceptions. It’s a work-in-progress, but there also isn’t much time left to fine-tune things. Training camp is just six weeks away as the Redskins break for a rest before reconvening in Richmond. The key for Cavanaugh? That Griffin builds on days like Tuesday.

“[Griffin] looked poised, relaxed. He was accurate. He was throwing with a good base, he was able to finish his throwing motion. He made plays down the field. He made plays checking the ball down. Got a lot of completions. Got the ball out of his hand in good rhythm,” Cavanaugh said. “And all those things add to not getting sacked, not turning the ball over, not having negative plays. And I think he appreciated the day he had yesterday. I tell him after a day like that 'You screwed up now. Because now we’re going to expect it every day.’

That's a great article. It sounds like Griffin and coaches are both doing all they can now to win. I'm just hoping that it pays off for us.

One was an OC commenting and the other is a QB coach specifically brought in to coach him. He isn't looking like 2012 this year because he has good footwork and is making his reads quickly and accurately.

106.7, of course, has guys with NY and Baltimore accents on clowning him, saying he's throwing off is back foot constantly and etcetera, who have to sheepishly admit these are by far the vast, vast, vast minority and that Robert does look substantially better in terms of mechanics. Even the hosts on the station move on from it quickly and go right back to clowning him.

Nick

And yet people choose to listen to the garbage.

Tune in to a music station.

'nother opinion with nothing particularly new to say.

He does manage to play the mechanics, injury, indecision, coaches demeanor, trade cost and last chance cards all in one hand.

In the opening bid, he does mention it was a 'new play', not sure what that means tho. Maybe it was the first time Griff has run it.

Redskins? Griffin Still Has Far to Go « CBS DC
WASHINGTON — It was another new play in a simple seven-on-seven drill where the offense has a big advantage given no pass rusher.

Robert Griffin III looked right, middle and finally the left corner searching for an open receiver.

Five Mississippi, six Mississippi . . .

Griffin finally whipped it to the receiver who was double covered and out-of-bounds. Not exactly the type of play or practice on Wednesday that provides confidence entering the team’s six-week break before training camp starts July 30.

Indeed, after having a solid practice on Tuesday where coach Jay Gruden raved over Griffin’s progress in his new kinder, gentler fashion, the passer looked bad on Wednesday. He even threw one off his back foot trying to make something happen.

Translation – Griffin’s mechanics still need work entering his fourth season. Don’t say it’s just a drill. You practice like you play and Griffin looked lost at times, especially in red zone snaps. Frankly, it was much like a lot of the past two seasons while the team went 7-25.

Whatever happened to that 2012 rookie sensation that made the monstrous trade of three firsts- and a second-round pick briefly seem worthwhile? Have the injuries robbed his overall ability? Has his ego failed to realize things are done differently in the NFL than his days at Baylor where a statue now stands outside Baylor’s stadium to remember his exploits?

This is Griffin’s last chance in Washington and maybe as an NFL starter and the overall spring workouts could have been a lot better. It doesn’t matter what clichés he says or Gruden’s temporary approval. It’s the offseason.

Griffin needs a full preseason. The Redskins can’t afford another Club Med where starters barely play. Griffin needs lots of work because there are still plays he can’t make. There’s a right side of the offensive line with a rookie tackle and young guard that need to get a feel where their quarterback moves. Griffin needs to learn receiver DeSean Jackson’s downfield speed that was never in sync last season for missed opportunities.

The Redskins have done everything they could to help Griffin, from spending the fifth overall selection on tackle Brandon Scherff, to hiring a top offensive line coach and an experienced quarterbacks coach who was a good passer in his day.

But it won’t matter if Griffin can’t read plays faster and commit to better mechanics on every single snap. He can’t wing the ball at times, because those go for touchdowns the other way.

The Redskins have been liberal with Griffin during practice. He gets extra seconds to throw the ball and still it’s often mediocre. Just wait till the fall when his helmet is a defender’s trophy.

Griffin gets maybe a half season to prove he’s worth keeping in 2016. Otherwise, the Redskins would rightly bench him for fear of injury that would cost the team $16 million.

Griffin needs to get better and get better now. While teammates can spend the next six weeks at the beach, Griffin better spend it in the film room and working out, because he’s still not ready to excel.

Otherwise, writers in another town will chronicle Griffin’s comeback

it's all calculated to stir the pot iot attract audience. unrelated to Griffin: I was listening to a show a week ago where the theme was questioning the wisdom in canceling the last mini-camp session. The advocates reasoning? well, a team that has won 7 games in two seasons needs every practice; and, more importantly, all the truly good teams would do no such thing. The duty examples of course included the Pats. What's insulting is that the listener is immediately led to think "well, what else should the Skins be emulating from the other good teams?" should they be taping other teams signals from the sidelines? should they be deflating footballs?

it's all crap designed to get listeners to dial in. since sport radio transitioned to the bon homeyism of 2-3 analysts talking about every manner of football, other sports, political opinion and personal junk just to fill time...the quality of thinking and straight up reporting has gone down the shooter. they make money - we get cheated. time to dial out.......these folks, by and large, are clowns....arse hats. there are better things to do. I listen a lot less often these days - but do adjust my buying habits as I learn who the sponsors are.

I listened to something similar, Al. The last day was all film, or something like that, and they were being questioned why a team so bad wasn't out on the field doing drills. Seriously. 7-on-7's that really don't do anything for anyone. There was actually an entire segment on it. Call it faux anger or whatever you will, but it was stupid, asinine and churlish (What? Churlish?). There's being critical of this team, then there's that nonsense.

Nick

Unless Brunell was at OTA's and minicamp, watching Robert's mechanics, progressions, etc., and/or receiving reliable inside info on what the coaches are thinking about Robert's progress, he has no more idea at this point how Robert is trending than we do. Even less, probably, given we know he doesn't pore over every tea leaf that floats into view on the subject like we do.

I hate the offseason 24/7 news cycle.

And, like most former jocks trying to be the next media king, he has to be willing to fling some sort of shit at former teams/players/owners/league officials, to be considered unbiased. Scott is no different.

According to Brunell, there is no development to track in RG3 - only digression

Ex-Redskins QB Mark Brunell goes off on Robert Griffin III | For The Win

I'd be interested in seeing the video he referenced. I'm assuming it's from last season? As Damien Woody said, the additions of a real QB Coach and OLine coach alone should give him more time to make better decisions. If he can't get it done this season, probably time to cut.

But yeah, this strikes me as Brunell trying to make a name for himself. Predictable.

Brunell...

King of the dump off pass
Mr bankrupt

Talking shit....clean your own house before you come to someone else's

Input from talking heads about situations that they are not around on a regular basis is generally worthless to me...

On a par with taking relationship advice from Tiger Woods.

Input from talking heads about situations that they are not around on a regular basis is generally worthless to me...

On a par with taking relationship advice from Tiger Woods.
or investment advice from Brunell

This thread is taking a long time to develop.
:clown:

Last edited:
Random NFL Thoughts has been taken over today :), and this bears some impact on Griffin, at least tangentially, so I'm posting here. Mods can certainly move around as needed (because they need my permission...)

Tip O? the Salary Cap: What to Do About Russell Wilson? «

After three seasons of unprecedented success together, Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks are engaging in a high-stakes game of chicken. The fourth-year quarterback’s contract negotiations have made the leap from private and pleasant to public and contentious. It’s still difficult to imagine Wilson wearing another team’s uniform in 2016, but there have been enough public statements and leaked messaging — particularly from Wilson’s side — to suggest that an agreement isn’t the inevitability it seemed a few months ago. It’s a discussion that raises all kinds of questions about Wilson, his value to the team, and what kind of organization the Seahawks intend to be in the years to come.

There’s one thing all parties involved can agree upon: Wilson is due for a raise. Seattle’s star quarterback wasn’t at the top of the Trade Value columns I put together in 2013 and 2014 by accident. He hasn’t just been a bargain relative to other quarterbacks; he’s even been a bargain relative to other quarterbacks on rookie deals, as Wilson’s cap hit has amounted to 13.5 percent of Andrew Luck’s cap hit over the last three seasons. Swap out Luck for a veteran like Philip Rivers and that figure falls below 5 percent.

Wilson wants A-Aron Rod-gers kind of money.

Good luck with that.

Nick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.