• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Tracy Porter and Chris Chester Are Gone

The year before Clark was drafted Monk was an All-Pro, broke the single-season record for receptions. That was the year Brown saw limited action, and split time with Calvin Mohammed on the other side. It was Monk and nobody.

And Monk was awesome.

I am sure Monk's ability to produce at an all-pro level with a bunch of part-timers opposite him was on the minds of opposing defensive coordinators when Clark took the field a year later. I am certain the years of Clark and Monk together were a pick-your-poison nightmare for the likes of Bill Parcells. But I don't think for a minute that Monk was 'just a possession guy' without Clark. We was The Best There Ever Was. Without Clark.

Yeah it's funny how under-rated Monk is, even by old school Skins fans! Clark was a play-maker, and definitely one of my favorites, but Monk was of greatest all around receivers of all time!

Clark was a lot more than a playmaker. You guys realize he had just as many 1000 yard+ seasons as Monk (5), and had two more he had 900+ in. In no way stating Monk was not a genuine HOFer - he was. But Clark was a dominant WR in his own right. To put it in modern perspective, Pierre Garcon has had one 1000 yard+ season, and Desean and Santana 4 each. Clark was close to having 7 of them. Clark caught 65 TD passes in his career, 3 short of Monk's 68 - but did it in 8 seasons instead of 14 for Monk. That is impressive. Add to that his ability to make the game-changing big play, he was an incredible WR by any standard - and he did it in an era where QBs didn't routinely throw for 4 or 5 thousand yards in a season. Based on some of the comments, I think some of you guys have forgotten what he did on the field.

Monk was already in the NFL for 5 years before Clark came on board. He caught a lot of balls with guys like Alvin Garrett, Calvin Muhammad, and Clarence Verdin playing WR for the club.

So it wasn't Clark and Sanders making Monk into a productive receiver.

Rather it was all three of them complementing each other and creating mismatches that brought out their best.

Clark was a lot more than a playmaker. You guys realize he had just as many 1000 yard+ seasons as Monk (5), and had two more he had 900+ in. In no way stating Monk was not a genuine HOFer - he was. But Clark was a dominant WR in his own right. To put it in modern perspective, Pierre Garcon has had one 1000 yard+ season, and Desean and Santana 4 each. Clark was close to having 7 of them. Clark caught 65 TD passes in his career, 3 short of Monk's 68 - but did it in 8 seasons instead of 14 for Monk. That is impressive. Add to that his ability to make the game-changing big play, he was an incredible WR by any standard - and he did it in an era where QBs didn't routinely throw for 4 or 5 thousand yards in a season. Based on some of the comments, I think some of you guys have forgotten what he did on the field.

Bingo! Yes they forgot, or never knew. I believe Clark should be hall of fame. From what I remember, Clark was like Jackson in that he was there for the bomb, the big play is where he piled up the yards. I look at Moss and he so much reminds me of Clark. Then there is the eternal hamstring. Clark says he played his entire career with a pulled hammy. Now you don't see anyone on the field when they pull one. He was one tough son of a gun.

As for Monk, he has the best hands of any receiver I ever saw, including stickem Bilitnikof.

Look im not saying monk wasnt a beast, remember he was a TE in college a lot of the time, he played in an Era when we actually ran the ballover 50% of the time and He made more big catches for first downs than anyone I can recall. I am saying that Clark was a guy who simply made big plays, backbreaker plays, Monk was the guy who just caught everything.

I'm just happy to have had 'em both, each had their own thing going and both deserve HOF

I believe it was Joe T or Joe G that said the Monk was doing what he was told to do within the system, limiting his chances to 'shine', he had no apparent problem doing it in spite of being quite capable of a lot more.

Absolutely Tom - I wouldn't beat the point into the ground, it's only that playing alongside a HOF guy like Monk, I have always felt Clark's accomplishments didn't get the attention they deserve. Honestly, his numbers are right there with Monk - he should at least be in the HOF discussion in his own right.

Maybe a 'Clark for the Hall' campaign is needed, seemed to work for Art.

Henry? :chuncky:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.