• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Tracy Porter and Chris Chester Are Gone

I liked Connell, except for the whole 'don't leave your wallet lying around' thing :)

I liked Connell, except for the whole 'don't leave your wallet lying around' thing :)
Yeah, for one year there, it looked like he might be a ... steal.

Albert Connell, WR at NFL.com

connell.jpg

Om, even Gary Clark shouldn't count, because he was already a Pro player when we drafted him.
I assume the goal of the exercise is seeing how our scouting and GM departments have done with college players.
So, you'd have to go even further back than Clark

That's fair. While he was technically a draft pick, there was more to his resume given his brief USFL experience at that point than your standard issue college draftee.

We don't have to go back much further, though. Charlie Brown was only a Redskin for three years, but I don't think many would argue he wasn't a decent draft pick in round 8 in 1982.

Before that? Art Monk, 1980. At which point the matter is put to rest.

You may wish you hadn't asked.

Answer? Depends on how "decent" we're talking. If the standard is "no caveats" ... Gary Clark. 2nd round of supplemental draft, 1984.

Per NFL.com:

Ryan Grant (5)

Leonard Hankerson (3)
Niles Paul (5)
Aldrick Robinson (6)

Terrence Austin (7)

Marko Mitchell (7)

Devin Thomas (2)
Malcolm Kelly (2)

Taylor Jacobs (2)

Cliff Russell (3)

Rod Gardner (1)
Darnerian McCants (5)

Albert Connell (4)

Michael Westbrook (1)

Tidus Winans (3)

Desmond Howard (1)

Keenan McCardell (12)

Erik Affholter (4)

Ted Wilson (10)
Laron Brown (11)

Walter Murray (2)
Eric Yarber (12)

Curtland Thomas (12)
Clarence Verdin (SD)
Gary Clark (SD)

Charlie Brown (8)

Art Monk (1)
That list just made me throw up in my mouth a little.

You may wish you hadn't asked.

Answer? Depends on how "decent" we're talking. If the standard is "no caveats" ... Gary Clark. 2nd round of supplemental draft, 1984.

Keenan McCardell (12)

Keenan McCardell was a good receiver, just for another team.

Which I considered a caveat. :)

its funny though.

Many failures but if you look at a lineage of Bobby Mitchell, Charley Taylor, Art Monk, and Gary Clark you see 3 busts in Canton and a guy in Clark that is borderline HOF in his own right.

I grew up with Charley Taylor who was a very physical receiver and who had the speed to take it all the way.

I had a #42 jersey when I was 6 or 7 years old.

What we are lacking now is a WR with the size, speed and competitive attitude that Taylor, Monk had. Clark was all of those things at 5'10.

DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon have talent but each have limiting factors, whether it is a lack of focus at times on the game (Jackson) or injury problems (Garcon).

Interesting WR list.

From what I can gather, Turner/Casserly were just lousy together. Ceratto didnt believe in keeping late round picks, so once in awhile he'd take a stab for a WR in the second round and miss. Gibbs had Moss and apparently that was good enough. Shanahan finally kept his late round picks, and would use some on WRs, but was just bad with them.

And here we are.

What we are lacking now is a WR with the size, speed and competitive attitude that Taylor, Monk had. Clark was all of those things at 5'10.

My memories of Clark were not of him possessing great speed.
I remember what made him great was his scrappiness.
He'd fight to get open, fight to grab the ball away from a close defender, and fight to the limit to break tackles and get yards after the catch.
Just a physical, scrappy guy, who despite his small size, played football like he had the body of a big man.
He also had great quickness and agility to break tackles to along with his toughness.
But definitely not the straight-away speed of a similar heighted-guy like DeSean.
If he did, he would have ran a lot more post patterns or deep routes, but was mostly a quick-and-out guy, to move the chains, or get the short TD's

I know it's sacrilege, but Gary Clark is the best WR in burgundy and gold since Charley Taylor. That's not taking anything away from Art Monk, Mr. Reliable, who just got the job done over and over again. But Clark - he was special. 5 of 8 seasons in DC, he had more than 70 receptions and more than 1000 yards receiving. That's astounding!

Speed, size, whatever. Sometimes, it's not about the measureables - it's about players. And Gary Clark was a player.

Last edited:
Depends what you are looking for in a WR. Clark was a big play guy, but he dropped a lot of passes too. If you saw Clark drop a pass early on, you knew he would make a spectacular play the next time the ball was thrown his way.

Monk just simply caught everything, all the time. Often not as amazing as Clark but he was always there.

Having one of those guys on your team was something. Together they were unstoppable. A perfect fit.

If you saw Clark drop a pass early on, you knew he would make a spectacular play the next time the ball was thrown his way.

That's because Clark got angry with himself at a dropped pass, like no other player would get angry with himself.
I have vivid recollections of him dropping passes and then pulling his helmet off he was so angry, and perhaps even throwing his helmet. And all that anger was directed at himself......No-one had that kind of passion.

Having one of those guys on your team was something. Together they were unstoppable. A perfect fit.

Let's also pay respects to the 3rd in that posse, which is what made them unstoppable and a perfect, complimentary 3-way fit. Ricky Sanders was not too shabby, either.

Not sure what all of this has to do with Tracy Porter and Chris Chester, but I guess it doesn't matter at all, because they are no longer Redskins, and were not even good ones while they were here.

Last edited:
Threads go where they go.

I know it's sacrilege, but Gary Clark is the best WR in burgundy and gold since Charley Taylor.
Sacrilege? I'd say, absurd.

Monk did his thing regardless of who the other receivers on the field were.

Absent Monk on the other side, all the others were nothing special.

I loved Clark's outward fire, grit, and determination. But I see it as clearly second to Art's inner fire, grit, and determination.

Of course, it can't be proven, but IMHO, which is pretty much undisputed gospel ;), Clark was always an excellent #2 guy, because of Monk. Without Monk, he was an excellent #3.
Monk would have been Monk even if Chester would have been blocking. Clark feasted off of the Tracy Porter's of the NFL. (For Fear)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.