• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins.com: Evan Spencer Wants To Be Impact Special Teams Player

BGO

Evan Spencer believes he can be the same sort of player he was at Ohio State when he contributed in nearly every facet. Now with the Redskins, his first contributions could be on special teams.

More...

Am I the only one who sees this guy as the most overhyped 6th round draft pick in Skins history? I gotta be honest - this pick looked to me like nothing more than a favor to a Redskins scout from the beginning, and the hard sell job the Redskins continue to do on him only solidifies that suspicion. He 'believes he can be the same sort of player he was at Ohio State when he contributed in nearly every facet' - you mean, except at his primary position in which he couldn't even get on the field? I have nothing against the guy, but I think predicting he'll make the roster is premature much less the glowing PR crap the Redskins are churning out on a daily basis. A lot of text and words for a 6th round, at best, project.

Nope, I'm with you on that. I don't get all the hype around a 6th round pick ever. Maybe they're trying to prove they had a good draft from top to bottom?

I'm open to the possibility he's a steal. But for God's sake, get a grip on the propaganda... Feels a lot like this was a favor and that's why they feel the need to over hype a guy who wouldn't have even been drafted if we hadn't wasted a 6th rounder on him (wasted in the sense that we could've grabbed another player and still gotten Spencer as an UDFA)

Spencer's production in college was almost non-existent.

Yeah, some guys are great special teamers and don't play on offense much in the NFL.

But usually those guys WERE very productive college players.

I agree that for when you spend a draft pick that player should have some upside on offense or defense in addition to ST.

You can get the suicide guys for ST as undrafted free agents.

I stopped reading after the first sentence.
Merely being a "contributor" in college, is nowhere near an assurance you will be an impact player in the NFL.
If we round up all the college players who were "contributors", how long would that list be ?

Last edited:
Would you rather make up a list of guys that mostly sat on the bench and watched in college? 😉

I got the feeling after the draft that we would be keeping all draft picks on the team. Would be hard pressed to keep a walk on undrafted free agent over any of our picks since McClou is in charge and the future rests on his shoulders. That would be admitting to mistake before an opportunity to prove himself in game action.

I guess practice squad should count as part of the roster for any draft pick that failed to win the job outright. Nevertheless, I don't see special teams guys making the team if they can only contribute on special teams. Its usually the other way around. You keep the potential starter with upside, if he can make contribution on special teams. I don't see this guy as having significant upside.

Well, I think the salient point is that Spencer IS a UDFA, we just decide to spend a draft pick on him anyway :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.