• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Santana Moss will not re-sign with Washington

BnGBuns

The Rookie
Reaction score
Rival Allegiance
I hope he does the 1 day contract and retires with us! One hell of a player for sure, you always get all he has every play.

I hope he does the 1 day contract and retires with us! One hell of a player for sure, you always get all he has every play.

He only needs to do that if he signs with another team first, right ?
I mean, since the last contract he had was with the Skins, he doesn't really need to re-sign with us, in order to retire with us, does he ?

His contract ran out. He is currently not on our roster. The one day is a mere formality but it necessary

I do hope he retires a Redskin... he has said in the past that's what he wants.. so even if it's the formality of a one-day contract, even if he plays somewhere else for a year... MAKE IT SO DAN!!!!!!

Moss is done. He's almost 37 which is older than Lazarus for an NFL wide receiver. No doubt his pride is hurt being used as he was in 2014 and he says 'I have a year left'. But hopefully unlike Art Monk he doesn't go to a sorry team like the Jets just to wear a uniform for a year to satisfy his ego.

I definitely can't see him going back to the jets. But if there's a chance of him getting more money for 1 year at least and he can get a spot on a good team..I'm cool with him going out on his own terms when he's ready.

Regardless, when he is finally fully done we need to sign him to a 1 day contract and retire him a skin.

Why do so many people judge players by their age, and age alone ?
As if when a player reaches a certain age, every single one of them automatically has something click off in their body.
No two players are alike.
There are a lot more factors that determine when a player's ability begins to decline, than his age alone.
Like they say, it's just a number.

I fully agree. It's good for a "measuring stick" but it shouldn't be the be all end all of defining a career.

Why do so many people judge players by their age, and age alone ?
As if when a player reaches a certain age, every single one of them automatically has something click off in their body.
No two players are alike.
There are a lot more factors that determine when a player's ability begins to decline, than his age alone.
Like they say, it's just a number.

Because play deteriorates with age - and almost universally so. It's actually pretty predictable when players at certain positions will begin to decline. Speed, ability to move laterally, strength - they all decline with age. It's just a fact. Are there exceptions in players who seem to define Father Time - yeah. But the reason why people focus on age is because it matters in professional sports, and in no other sport does it matter as much as Pro Football, where players are so fast, strong, and agile, even a slight drop off can have a huge impact.

And I have not seen anyone use 'age alone' as the only criteria, at least in terms of Moss. If he had shown he could still play at his previous level the past couple of seasons, I don't think the team, or fans, would be moving on. The next Moss can't start developing until he gets on the field. The premium on giving talented youngsters opportunities outweighs a need to keep a declining player whose best years are far behind him.

Of course, but my point is that it deteriorates at a different rate with everybody.
And not only that, but it can vary greatly, from one player to another

True - can't argue that. But there are trends that you can generalize from. 35 and up are the twilight years for a WR in today's game.

Boy.. that's harsh. Yes, performance deteriorates with age, but the value of a player to the team isn't JUST measured by age... Yes, I'm disappointed he won't be a Redskin this year, and I honestly hope he retires a Redskin, whether it be this year, or by signing a one-day contract after he signs with someone else. He's a true leader on and off the field, and a mentor. And I think that's the reason he was kept on last year. If there wasn't a limit on players, I think he'd still be signed this year if not only for that leadership ability for the younger guys. Moss is one player I've had the privilege to meet, and I can't say enough good things about his personality. I was at a taping of a Monday night game preview and Moss and Randel El (at the time a Redskin) was there. It was really hot and it was before I lost 260 pounds.. so I had to go inside Moss came in and sat down and talked to me and made sure I was okay. Tell me every player in the NFL would have done that? That compassion has to show on the field and off the field and that makes him a good leader.

Yes, I'm disappointed he won't be in burgundy and gold this year, but I understand the "business" of it all and it's unfortunate.

Sorry... but I had to vent a little. He'd still be a Redskin if there wasn't a limit to the number of players they could have... for his leadership and mentorship (is that a word?) abilities.

::sigh::

Moss is done. He's almost 37 which is older than Lazarus for an NFL wide receiver. No doubt his pride is hurt being used as he was in 2014 and he says 'I have a year left'. But hopefully unlike Art Monk he doesn't go to a sorry team like the Jets just to wear a uniform for a year to satisfy his ego.

Sandy - I admire the sentiments. But do we want to win, or not? Do we want the best talent out there, always? Do we want to give young guys (Moss was a young guy once) a chance to develop and stick and become something? Moss couldn't even demonstrate enough to make the active roster except for a few games last season. That's not harsh - that's just a fact. Moss is/was a great Redskin. But all good things come to an end. It's not unnatural, it's exactly what's supposed to happen. The old make way for the young. It's always been that way and it always will. There is absolutely nothing unfortunate about it. Moss has had a great career but it's time for him to realize he can't do it anymore and move on to the next stage of his life like we all do in some way or another. I agree 100% with you that he was a great player, a great lockerroom guy, and a character guy - we will miss him.

Not to say he should make the squad this year..but him not being active while players like Roberts continued to suck shows more about poor coaching than it does moss' age.

There was never a reason he shouldn't have been dressed last year except gruden (once again) being personal when he shouldn't have.

Well, I respect your all's position. It's one of the nicest, most noble things about fans. And it's not like I don't have feelings along the same lines at times. Cheers :cheers:

John,

I think you misunderstood my post. I agree with the old moves aside for the young. The "harsh" comment was more to HOW the post I was replying to was worded, not what was said in general. I cannot speak harshly about any player that has contributed the way Moss has. Of course we want to win... so far I like the direction in general that is being taken, even though personal life has stopped me from following it in detail. I reluctantly agree that last year was probably his last year. I hope with all my heart he chooses to retire rather than play elsewhere, only to sign a one-day contract to retire a Redskin. When I speak from my heart, my loyalty and sentimentality comes out. Lately that's how I've been speaking with everything else going on (Taz, my niece), which really is no excuse. But intellectually, and I think you know me enough to know this... I can be objective and understand the reasons behind him not being signed. I just don't have to like it with my heart :)

Sandy - I admire the sentiments. But do we want to win, or not? Do we want the best talent out there, always? Do we want to give young guys (Moss was a young guy once) a chance to develop and stick and become something? Moss couldn't even demonstrate enough to make the active roster except for a few games last season. That's not harsh - that's just a fact. Moss is/was a great Redskin. But all good things come to an end. It's not unnatural, it's exactly what's supposed to happen. The old make way for the young. It's always been that way and it always will. There is absolutely nothing unfortunate about it. Moss has had a great career but it's time for him to realize he can't do it anymore and move on to the next stage of his life like we all do in some way or another. I agree 100% with you that he was a great player, a great lockerroom guy, and a character guy - we will miss him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.