• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The narrative to get rid of Morris

BnGBuns

The Rookie
Reaction score
Rival Allegiance
I cannot be the only one that is seeing this in news stories around the RB, whom has gotten us 1000 yards a season in his 3 years here as a Redskin, getting hit on all sides saying that he isn't good enough.

Does anyone else remember that story comparing Trent Richardson and Morris and eventually picking Trent to be the better RB overall. Well who is still a starter and who is a 3rd string back? I thought so.

I do not understand why pundits do not like Morris. Maybe hes not as fast as a Adrian Petterson, or as maneuverable as a Jamal Charles, but he gets the yards, gets the TDs we need.

I have a bad feeling this media narrative is going to make our coaches question Morris in the run game.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are, if Griffin can be a more consistent passing threat, and with the OL improvements and another beast RB to spell him, Almo will have a great 2015 season.

Morris not only has gotten done on the field consistently, he's a perfect player in terms of toughness, character, durability, and work ethic. He's a 'core Redskin' right alongside Ryan K.

Morris is humble, he's not flashy, he doesn't do things to get himself in trouble or on tv.

He just works.

That is never popular with the mediots.

Alfred has been one of the stalwarts and deserves to run behind an OLine that doesn't blow. Hopefully he gets that this season, along with an improved, consistent Griffin, which will result in 1600+ yards. Calling it now.

I think Morris is a textbook McLovin player for all the reasons Boone listed. If anything I see him being more useful with all the improvements around him. Phased out? No way, unless he loses a step.

The question for us is, can the team compete serious before Almo gets old and beat up. I hope so - he deserves to enjoy more success

If a media narrative affects our coaches and front office we have bigger things to worry about.

I'm not sure there's a better, more humble, person playing RB in the NFL. I don't think there's a better 1st and 2nd down back on our team. I don't think there's 5 better 1st and 2nd down backs in the entire NFL.

But third down...

I don't get all the butt hurt around here for trying to improve the team. Rbs fall off a cliff and now there are some youngsters in the background to push him. Just as it should be. I don't hear this alleged "narrative" I just see a team covering it's ass with the most injury prone position on nfl teams. Love Morris. although I never saw him as one to get a huge second contract with us. Would love him to overcome any perceived shortcomings and prove me wrong on that

Morris is definitely a role model for desired Redskins. An overachiever, quite unassuming, workhorse, leads by example. The "narrative" has something to do with the Ga RB being a target for the Redskins in a trade down scenario.

The days of one back offense are likely over in the NFL. We needed another quality RB. Picking one up in the third filled that void when Helu left. But Helu wasn't the ticket anyway, not for this re-tooled offense. The GM has stated, along with Jay, that we will be a running team first. All signs point to that with the moves. Morris isn't going anywhere, he is a vital cog to achieving a ground based offense this year. Read the tea leaves, management is telling you loud and clear.

I would redirect a couple of you guys to one (maybe THE most salient) fact related to Almo's DC career so far. He's proven to be one helluva back and done it running behind one of the worst O lines in football. Some will argue that Almo's success shows our OL is underrated. But I think it's Morris who is very underrated and whose drive, grit, and determination have allowed him to be a top tier RB even behind an OL that had only one legitimate NFL starter since he was drafted.

I think we may see record yards if we put him behind even a better than average OL.

No argument from me ... Morris has been a stalwart on the field and prince off of it. The fan and general human being in me is completely on board with the team not only keeping/featuring him, but finding a way to financially reward him for contributions past and future.

What is inescapable, though, is the reality of the RB position in today's NFL. The team is going to HAVE to look at his situation in business context., i.e., the short lifespans of NFL RB's, the relative ease (stressing "relative") of finding RB's once the lead dog gets too expensive in a cap context, etc. In Alfred's case he is the perfect example--he was acquired as a late-round draft pick and paid accordingly. The Redskins are in full rebuild mode, under new and apparently competent management ... for fans to expect them to be anything less than completely objective and analytical about Morris (and any other player) when it comes to assessing his current value to the franchise (keep, trade, cut, etc.) would be to place the personal over the business of fielding a winner.

I agree Mark. One of the most admirable things about our fans is their loyalty and near worship of those rare players we've had who not only consistently 'bring it' on the field, but who also selfless team guys with solid character. But teams can't make decisions based on sentimentality and appreciation alone - ultimately it has to be about what players can do now and going forward and how they got into the global long-term plan for success (assuming we finally have one of those :)).

I think we may see record yards if we put him behind even a better than average OL.

Yeah. How many times last year did he turn a six yard loss into a 2 yard gain? The OLine has been a major problem for a while, impacting the passing game in obvious ways, but also impacting the running game because teams could gear up to stop AlMo. If the passing game can get on track, Alfred will have a monster year.

I agree Mark. One of the most admirable things about our fans is their loyalty and near worship of those rare players we've had who not only consistently 'bring it' on the field, but who also selfless team guys with solid character. But teams can't make decisions based on sentimentality and appreciation alone - ultimately it has to be about what players can do now and going forward and how they got into the global long-term plan for success (assuming we finally have one of those :)).

Replying to you and Om at the same time. Multi quote seems like SOOOOOO much work...

Agree, but I think you have to balance that sometimes. Not for the fans, but for the lockerroom. If the other players get the sense that as soon as you start any kind of decline at all, the FO is shipping you out the door, I think you can hurt morale with that approach. In the past, the Skins have not only held on to their own for far too long, we've taken on other team's broken down players. Not great. I think finding the happy medium is the key to success.

Replying to you and Om at the same time. Multi quote seems like SOOOOOO much work...

Agree, but I think you have to balance that sometimes. Not for the fans, but for the lockerroom. If the other players get the sense that as soon as you start any kind of decline at all, the FO is shipping you out the door, I think you can hurt morale with that approach. In the past, the Skins have not only held on to their own for far too long, we've taken on other team's broken down players. Not great. I think finding the happy medium is the key to success.
Words to live by, my friend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.