• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The narrative to get rid of Morris

There's no reason to trade him now that the draft is over.

I could have definitely seen a few scenarios that would have had some merit prior to the draft.

I would have been on the phone offering a combination of RG3 and Morris to Tampa, but that opportunity has passed.

Check back again 11 months from now.

*updates calendar again to mark today as hopefully the last time drafting Winston is brought up by McD5* :p

As for the RB position? Look at the RBs New England just won a SB with. You don't need Leveon Bell, or even Alfred Morris to win a SB.

Not a great example, considering it's universally agreed upon that the reason they won was due to the fact that Seattle didn't give the ball to their elite RB, but rather put the game in the hands of their QB. A decision which has been widely regarded as one of the worst play calls in SB history.

Just because its possible to win without an elite RB doesnt mean every time you stumble upon one you should drop him like a hot potato.

Last edited:
McD5, I think what you need to remember is what McLovin wants to build. His whole philosophy appears to be based in getting big, tough, durable guys with grit and character at every position you can find them. That's why I think, short of a major drop off in play, Morris will remain a Redskin.

Morris is 26 and coming off three high volume seasons as the primary back running behind a very average offensive line.

With his contract up at the end of 2015 it's only smart if you are the GM to develop a Plan B in case Morris wants Murray type money.

But we won't know until 2016 if Jones is a viable primary back.

So, why would anyone get moved before then?

Besides it sure would be nice to start getting some compensation picks from free agency like the Packers, Patriots, and Steelers almost always seem to do.

If Morris walks I'll take the pick.

While I generally agree with your post, BD, I'm not sure I agree with the 'high volume seasons' bit.

Morris has only carried the ball more than 300 times once in three years, and that was his rookie year (335). And he has never missed a game. He really doesn't compare to Murray at all, who battled injury for a few years and never played a full season until his contract year, when he had 392 carries and 57 receptions, numbers which he is likely never going to be able to duplicate again.

A durable back carrying the ball 270 times a season can last a long time in this league.

But like I said, I do agree with your general point.

Last edited:
I never understand the idea of "we need this" we get it, it works great and immediately it's "this is expendable" before we're even done with it. The grass is always greener and we can replace anyone mentality is not something I've ever understood

don't forget that Morris is one of those very guys we drafted to replace the expendable ones. No one had a clue of what Morris was capable of. But they keep bringing them in hoping they will rise to the occassion and be worth letting a prior starter go. That's football 101. Morris is 26, we extend for 5 years putting him over thirty is a big risk in the RB world. The shelf life for a player is the average at his position. Morris' position has short shelf life. Fact of life in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, Morris is my favorite player on the team. But we can ill afford to keep a Griffin and Morris 5 more years and continue to finish in last place.

Although there is the Morris contract situation to consider as discussed, the simple fact is McCloughan looked at the backfield and said to himself the team only has one NFL caliber every down back in Morris. He drafted Matt Jones to take some carries off Morris but also to be an insurance policy in case Morris gets hurt in camp or the preseason.

Was anyone else comfortable going with Silas Redd or Chris Thompson as the primary back if Morris went out?

If you watch McCloughan he spreads the wealth in terms of picks, trades, and free agents.

We have acquired OL, DL, RB, WR, LB, S, CB, etc. addressing a lot of immediate needs.

We didn't do anything at TE, or in the kicking game or at qb where we have three returning veterans.

But this isn't a team like the Millen Lions or New York Jets that continue to add players at the same positions year after year and wonder why they never win anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.