• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The narrative to get rid of Morris

There's no reason to trade him now that the draft is over.

I could have definitely seen a few scenarios that would have had some merit prior to the draft.

I would have been on the phone offering a combination of RG3 and Morris to Tampa, but that opportunity has passed.

Check back again 11 months from now.

So you'd trade our starting running back and starting qb for.....1 pick who could be good or could fold like a cheap table?

Alfred Morris will decide his own fate on this team. It has been emphatically stated by coach and GM that on the field production is the goal. We will be changing our offense to feature the ground game, which will likely include Robert running the ball as well. Morris' success and value will be determined fairly soon in the season. Same with Robert. From here on out, if you don't measure up, you are going to be replaced, and they have already put that into motion. They have emphasized depth and drafted and signed free agents to achieve this. Robert should be able to see the whole season under center. If he gets hurt, the next QB up will still be asked to manage the running game and not rely on his arm. They are not going to be asked to light it up through the air. I think we'll have a running game by committee so Morris will have that working for his longevity. There's no doubt we'll see a vastly different type team than last year. I hope we see a vastly different record as a result.

I've heard it mentioned that the big change McLovin is making with this team is not necessarily finding more successful draft picks (because we don't know that yet) or better free agents (because we don't know that yet), but that he's trying to establish a team culture and identity. That the guys he is picking may or may not work out, but they are all the same type of guys, and they always will be as long as McLovin is the GM. For the record I think that's exactly what this team has needed for about 20 years, and I hope that that's what's going to happen around here now. Be pass-first, run-first, defense first ... whatever. Just stop being overpaid-prima-donnas-owned-by-a-shmuck-first. Anything but that.

So if that's the case, either Morris fits this new identity or he doesn't. If he does we should re-sign him if we can, because he is young, hasn't had a ton of carries, and is very good at what he does. If he doesn't fit the mold, let him go so he can get his big bucks somewhere else where he fits. I suspect McLovin will figure that out this year, which is why he's keeping his options open regarding Morris.

I think finding the happy medium is the key to success.
Success!
photo.jpg

I second Chris' post. If McCloughan listened and did what media said then he would have drafted Williams. McCloughan has forgotten more about football then the media will ever know.

So you'd trade our starting running back and starting qb for.....1 pick who could be good or could fold like a cheap table?

Yes, in two seconds. I also understand that Tampa would have wanted a lot more than just that, and that there's no way they would have agreed to that deal.

Yes, in two seconds. I also understand that Tampa would have wanted a lot more than just that, and that there's no way they would have agreed to that deal.
Ok, but most smart people would not trade 2 of the biggest pieces of their offense on a gamble as big as a rookie.

This isn't Vegas and it's not house money. If that "trade" failed we would be right back where we started.

Ok, but most smart people would not trade 2 of the biggest pieces of their offense on a gamble as big as a rookie.

This isn't Vegas and it's not house money. If that "trade" failed we would be right back where we started.

No we wouldn't. If Jameis ends up being a bust, we'd have been screwed, without our stud RB. We'd be worse off than we are WITH the enigma that is Griffin because we would have wasted four years minimum to determine Jameis was a bust, plus we would have lost our best offensive player in Morris.

Not saying Jameis is a bust, just trying to clarify the risks.

No we wouldn't. If Jameis ends up being a bust, we'd have been screwed, without our stud RB. We'd be worse off than we are WITH the enigma that is Griffin because we would have wasted four years minimum to determine Jameis was a bust, plus we would have lost our best offensive player in Morris.

Not saying Jameis is a bust, just trying to clarify the risks.
We would end up without a qb and rb. That is where we were when we drafted them both, right? We would end up back where we started in 2012 when we got them both.

Who says TB makes that deal? I think you're kidding yourself - not without throwing in additional picks. So you are talking about paying a King's Ransom for a guy who might or might not be the next big thing. No thanks. We've done enough risk-taking for awhile.

I realize I am more aggressive than most. Not Chip Kelly aggressive, but not timid.

I look at RG3 as a big gamble, and I feel like we would have been able to find a good RB (even if a step below Alfred) in the draft. Kind of like how we took Matt Jones in the third. I also have more confidence than most in Silas Redd.

So I would have tried to replace Morris with a Silas Redd/Chris Thompson combo, or would have added another guy like Matt Jones/Stevan Ridley, etc.

Who says TB makes that deal? I think you're kidding yourself - not without throwing in additional picks. So you are talking about paying a King's Ransom for a guy who might or might not be the next big thing. No thanks. We've done enough risk-taking for awhile.

No.....I don't believe that trade was realistic because Tampa would have wanted more.

But I would have opened up the conversation there, and tried to figure out what else it would have cost me.

Griffin is already in the league; he has the knowledge and experience. It hasn't broken him living this lifestyle mentally. Gruden and Scot are both saying he is progressing and looking good.

How can you find Griffin a big gamble but yet willing to bet the farm on a kid who has had more legal trouble in 1 year than I or any 5 of us combined in the past 2 years?!

You can't say Matt Jones since you traded Morris before the draft. He was not on our squad yet. Silas Redd and Thompson can't hold Morris' jock. Last year was Morris' "worst" season and he got almost 1100 yards with 8TDs.

You cant depend on no daggone rookie to come in here and produce like either one of them...let alone even depend on them to be any more than a JaMarcus Russell and Trent Richardson.

I do not believe you can find young pro-bowl quality RBs under any old rock. And I do not believe a pro-bowl RB is an unimportant piece of an offense, or a successful team.

I would not be so cavalier with one of the VERY few young, consistent, top-tier, cap-friendly, headache-free, team-first players the Redskins have on their team. And I'm not surprised McLovin isn't.

I know it's more aggressive than most, but I believe that Winston is already 2-3 years ahead of RG3 this second in terms of being a pocket passer and running an offense.

He's also never been injured, so that's an additional bonus. If I'm actually considering a QB to the QB of the future, I'm ruling out anyone with 2 ACLs. That's way too risky for me.

As for the RB position? Look at the RBs New England just won a SB with. You don't need Leveon Bell, or even Alfred Morris to win a SB.

You "believe" but you don't know. You want to gamble the house on a "belief" that could go either way. Ryan Leaf was never injured either.

NE is in a better position we are all around....cherry picking a team that just won the SB and is stacked at every position isn't fair. Lets say, replacing Stephen Davis with Trung Candidate. How did that plug and play work out for us? Or Steven Jackson in ATL? Or Ryan Matthews in SD?

That's all true. Winston is definitely a gamble. RG3's health is definitely another gamble.

As for the RBs, 95% of the league's top RBs over the last 15 years have never won a SB.

I don't want an Adrian Peterson, J. Charles, etc.......they never win. Offenses feel forced to hand them the ball too many times.

Some thoughts on this subject...

First, love Morris. His character, drive, approach to life and the game are wonderful and I want him around as an example to the new, young guys of what a class act looks like.

Second, yes, he has run behind a substandard line but it is more a substandard line for pass pro than for run blocking. It does a much better job of run blocking, IMHO.

Third, he also run with an option QB his first year so his numbers are honestly a smidgen suspect there. Let's face it...defenses were more concerned with Griff than AlMo 3 years ago.

Not trying to bash Morris. Just throwing some reality in there. If McLovin' thinks we can upgrade at the spot, I'm willing to listen even though I don't think it is a high priority at first. In fact, I believe Morris to be a perfectly good back for years yet. I'd like to see him get paid when his rookie deal is up too but it has to be reasonable. He needs to be compensated both for what he has done and for what he will do which is a tricky situation to try to navigate. Having said that, I wouldn't get stupid about it with him because that isn't good economics.

I know it's more aggressive than most,
You can call it aggressive if you choose. Not the word I'd use to describe such a "shot in the dark". But I'll be nice. Cause I like you McD.

but I believe that Winston is already 2-3 years ahead of RG3 this second in terms of being a pocket passer and running an offense.
So, you're predicting Crab Legs will be Rookie of the Year, and lead Tampa to the NFC Championship game? Cause stupid ole Robert won ROY, and helped lead his team to it's 1st division title in, well, forever, it seemed. Being 2-3 years ahead of Robert, ROY and a Championship game should be easily achieved by the rapist, er um, thief, er um, young misunderstood man. ;)

He's also never been injured, so that's an additional bonus. If I'm actually considering a QB to the QB of the future, I'm ruling out anyone with 2 ACLs. That's way too risky for me.
Billy Kilmer was goddamn running back who suffered a near fatal car wreck and could barely move out of his own way after that. He still went on to have a fine NFL career, as a QB.
So, I BELIEVE, even if Robert got to the point where he couldn't outrun Tom Cheaty, of the New England Asterisks, he still has the ability to learn and play the QB position, from the pocket, and have stellar, if not HOF career, as our QB.

As for the RB position? Look at the RBs New England just won a SB with. You don't need Leveon Bell, or even Alfred Morris to win a SB.
The Hogs, won 3 SB's, blocking for different RB's. So, your claim CAN BE true. But only after you have a good Oline in place. And I mean an actual Oline.

Not a statistical one. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.