• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Opine on the picks

stevenaa

The Team Captain
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Well #1 is in. We finally did it. Picked a big ugly early in the draft. Something we've all clamored for since what feels like the beginning of time. And damn it I'm conflicted. We left a likely perennial all pro DT on the board. BPA pick? Hard sell that. Though we don't know what all factors went into grading them out, it's still tough to see this as purely a BPA pick. I don't really have a problem with that. I'm stoked we might finally have a bookend RT. This should be the beginning of a real NFL pocket for our QB's to work from. McL said he wanted a big, ugly Oline to control the game and he's clearly gonna work the plan to make that happen.

I was shocked when the pick went down b/c I thought it would be a trade or DLine. But the more I reflect on it, the more I LOVE this pick. As others have said, we've needed a bully on the right side of the OLine since Jansen left, and now we have him. We addressed the DLine in FA pretty well, so that allowed us to pick what most people say is the best Tackle in the draft. The interview I heard last night got me excited - the kid seems humble, smart and a hard worker.

If we pick a G or C to groom, in two years our OLine could be one of the best in the league. Even if Griffin doesn't work out, this means we're setting ourselves up for success regardless of who is under center...

The one thing we don't or will never know is what calls and discussion went on in our war room. Scherff is now a Redskins and I will cheer him on.

Who are you calling an opine?!!

A little shocked but I love the pick. I've been screaming for O line draft for over a decade now so nothing could have made me happier other than a trade down for more picks and still getting this guy.

I'm fine with the pick, like I have a choice, but for all the big talk of taking BPA we STILL drafted for need. Can we please stop all the BPA nonsense going forward and just agree we'll take "a" top-rated guy at a position of need?

Heard on Mike & Mike this morning that Scheffter apparently reported that our draft board went Fowler, Cooper, Scherff.

Anyone have anything on that?

The Williams thing is certainly interesting. Couple thoughts ...

1. Not only did we pass on him, so did Tennessee, Jacksonville and Oakland.

2. When he fell to us at 5, no team felt strongly enough about Williams to offer a worthwhile trade.

Can't help but wonder ... if he was truly seen by the football people who make their livings identifying talent as the next AJ Watt or Reggie White, would either of those things have happened?

I have a few friends who are diehard Trojan fans and they both said he took plays off and was very uninterested a lot of the times on the field.

I also heard there was some concerns about a possible problem with his shoulder.

Who gives a flying **** what anybody other than McGloo & Co. thinks was BPA.

Don't like it? Get a job doing for a living, be successful at it, and then we'll talk.

Amazing how all someone has to do is not agree with McGloo, and suddenly he's a liar.

And yes, that's exactly what's being implied.

I think if we traded down, Scherff is taken by the GMen. I think Scot likes the guy, feels like he has two anchors on the OLine for the next 7 years and can concentrate on other things now. I suspect we'll see a C and/or G taken today, along with a S, depending on how the board goes.

I also won't be shocked to see some more trading action.

I have a few friends who are diehard Trojan fans and they both said he took plays off and was very uninterested a lot of the times on the field.

The guy is the defensive version of Scherff. The plays he "took off" were likely the result of playing through that shoulder injury, which is now reportedly healed.

I don't buy that McLovin had Scherff rated ahead of Williams. The guy ran a scouting service and every other scouting service ranked Big Cat ahead of BS. Face it, after signing Paea and RJF, DE just wasn't an area of need and we drafted for need.

Rich Tandler said if he's just a serviceable RT but a good G, we didn't really get good value because we didn't get an extra pick. I'm sure it won't matter, though, if he becomes a Hog. What this does is allows us to focus elsewhere for needs. Sheriff really fills two positions on the OL so we might not even need to draft another one.

Last edited:
The guys is the defensive version of Scherff. The plays he "took off" were likely the result of playing through that shoulder injury, which is now reportedly healed.

I don't buy that McLovin had Scherff rated ahead of Williams. The guy ran a scouting service and every other scouting service ranked Big Cat ahead of BS. Face it, after signing Paea and RJF, DE just wasn't an area of need and we drafted for need.

Rich Tandler said if he's just a serviceable RT but a good G, we didn't really get good value because we didn't get an extra pick. I'm sure it won't matter, though, if he becomes a Hog. What this does is allows us to focus elsewhere for needs. Sheriff really fills two positions on the OL so we might not even need to draft another one.
I do.

For one, I'm pretty sure his and any other GM's definition of BPA goes to the full range of specifics as it relates to his particular team, and how said player fits into the team's plans now and going forward.

And two, if he really did have Williams rated higher than Scherff, big Len would be a Redskins today and we'd be looking for OL help today and tomorrow. The alternative makes no sense. I guess I just can't understand why anyone would think a GM---ANY GM---would intentionally bypass a player he had rated as higher for another he rated lower. It goes against common sense.

Doesn't it?

One can disagree with his assessment of which is the BPA for his team, but that's a different conversation. One that requires one to assume a better grasp of the criteria than McCloughan has.

Who gives a flying **** what anybody other than McGloo & Co. thinks was BPA.

Don't like it? Get a job doing for a living, be successful at it, and then we'll talk.

Amazing how all someone has to do is not agree with McGloo, and suddenly he's a liar.

And yes, that's exactly what's being implied.

Liar is too strong a word. The guy is a GM, which makes him a professional smoke blower. Anything he SAYS should always be taken with a grain of salt. Rally the masses, blah blah blah. We're going to do this, blah blah blah. I no longer buy into talk, I buy into results. I'm all for giving him the benefit of doubt because nobody has taken the field yet so we don't know what the fruits of his labor will be. God knows we need him to be successful but having followed this team for close to 50 years, you can't expect me to accept anything he says at face value.

I'm happy. I don't think anyone is jumping up and down happy for a few reasons, but it's a good pick.

Potentially passing on the next Warren Sapp, Reggie White or Suh is an absolute crusher--no doubt about it. But we did beef up the DL in FA. That's about the only thing that kept me from picking up my large screen tv, hoisting it above my head, and then throwing it through my front window.

Was it BPA? No. When asked in last night's interview, Gruden said he was the BPA at his position. He then mentioned Williams. Only the teams picking 28th or higher really ever have the luxury of going BPA. If your roster is stacked, you can go BPA. If you're the Bucs or Titans, of course you have to go QB.

And I understand the frustration in not being able to trade down a spot or two. I wish we could have at least taken the Jets for a 4th or 5th and still picked our guy. But as mentioned above, it doesn't sound like our pick would have dropped past the Giants.

I'm content with it. He loves to maul people. He's a freaking animal in the run game, and we can use that. Hopefully he can crush players for the next ten years.

I do.

For one, I'm pretty sure his and any other GM's definition of BPA goes to the full range of specifics as it relates to his particular team, and how said player fits into the team's plans now and going forward.

And two, if he really did have Williams rated higher than Scherff, big Len would be a Redskins today and we'd be looking for OL help today and tomorrow. The alternative makes no sense. I guess I just can't understand why anyone would think a GM---ANY GM---would intentionally bypass a player he had rated as higher for another he rated lower. It goes against common sense.

Doesn't it?

One can disagree with his assessment of which is the BPA for his team, but that's a different conversation. One that requires one to assume a better grasp of the criteria than McCloughan has.

Ok, you're still assuming he would have drafted BPA if he had Williams higher. I'm certain he had them close enough but filling the need was more important than taking the BPA. That, to me, is the common sense move and that's why Scherff is now a Redskin. I'm glad he is. We desperately needed to improve the right side of the line. All I'm saying is don't believe everything Scotty says is the gospel. Let's just go by results and believe he's trying to make this team better and pray the ends justify the means.

The guys is the defensive version of Scherff. The plays he "took off" were likely the result of playing through that shoulder injury, which is now reportedly healed.

well, that is not what I am hearing. I hear that Scherff has had knee surgery and not even missed a week yet Williams is aloof and doesn't seem to really be in to it unless its a big game.

Scot knows what he is doing and has proved it time and time again with 2 other teams. I am going to trust the GM with the proven track record. 2 other teams passed on Williams as well before us...that lets me know that either all 3 of us are messed up (doubtful) or that he had some other plan that we need. Besides, our DL has been pretty beefed up so far in free agency with Pot Roast adding in to the mix. That is helping rejuvenate Baker

Fair enough, Jimbo.

I'm reminded again this year that the term "BPA" gets thrown around all the time as if it's an immutable, objective thing. And as if somehow incorporating the way said player fits into the specific team's overall plan diminishes the assessment.

BPA to me has never been just about a player's measurables in a vacuum. How said player is projected to fit into a specific situation--physically, philosophically, financially, etc.--is and should be a major factor in the overall grade.

Oh, and for the record ... I wanted to see Williams here, too. My initial reaction was surprise and a bit of a letdown. Didn't take too long to start to step back from my own BPA assessment, however, and start to work through what I think are some of the other factors our GM might have considered in coming up with his decision that Scherff was the best BPA on the board for the Redskins in 2015.

I agree, but I'm okay with that. You're not going to find a single scouting service or mock that had BS above Williams.

We filled that need in FA. That pushed O-line up the list to another area of need. And we got a good one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.