• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Opine on the picks

Two final things:

1. All the teams above us passed on Leonard Williams. That's true. All the teams above us also passed on BS. So I don't think anything can be read into that.

2. In the future, BPA should probably be replaced by "The guy who is going to have the biggest impact for our team in the next 5 years."

I had a feeling that Williams is not Scots kinda guy over the days based on some of his remarks. But was really hoping for a trade down with Atlanta when the Skins got on the clock.

Anyway today in the second round maybe Jalen or Landon Collins falls to them? They do seem to fit Scots profile.

Actually, you can read in to it because you seem to think Williams was ranked higher and a better player than Scherff. Some of us have seen the pick and are happy with it. Some of us have talked to other fans of Williams and they said we made a smart choice.

Do you think Williams would walk in here and start day one? He has to line up behind Baker, Golston, Paea, and Neild to make it in to the rotation. I didn't put Pot Roast in there because he is a NT but that would make 4 if he rotated over as well.

Two final things:

1. All the teams above us passed on Leonard Williams. That's true. All the teams above us also passed on BS. So I don't think anything can be read into that.

2. In the future, BPA should probably be replaced by "The guy who is going to have the biggest impact for our team in the next 5 years."
No real argument. For the record though ... on #1, the reason I pointed out other teams passing on Williams, as well as the apparent lack of serious trade push for him once fell to us, was in response to the widely help assumption out there in mock land that Williams was the better player--even the best player. It seems NFL GM's didn't necessarily share that collected wisdom.

On #2 ... I think we apply for a copyright.

I do think he would have come in and started immediately, yes. And that he could also be here for ten years.

But we didn't need a DE after those FA moves.

O-line was now a bigger need, and it's probably even easier for BS to come right in and start at G or hopefully RT.

Dude is one big hoss! Needed o-line help, and he's the guy all the talking heads had rated as the consensus best o-lineman available...

I'm guessing nobody offered GMSM a trade worth his while, but wouldn't be shocked to see him add more picks in round 2 and beyond.

I thought they would take Williams but I'm fine with Scherff as well. Most had him going to the Giants at 9 so it wasn't a reach from the 5 spot. Who knows what deals fell apart at the last minute. I'm looking forward to seeing him on the field and not a project. It sounds like the Giants were sold on him...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS9Hq4bdFY0

I think if we traded down, Scherff is taken by the GMen. I think Scot likes the guy, feels like he has two anchors on the OLine for the next 7 years and can concentrate on other things now. I suspect we'll see a C and/or G taken today, along with a S, depending on how the board goes.

I also won't be shocked to see some more trading action.

That's my thoughts as well.

For all those saying we could have traded down and still gotten him, how so?

Jets weren't going to move up 1 pick in the draft

Bears were pretty content with getting White, so doubt they were interested in moving up knowing they haad a really good shot at getting him at 7.

Falcons wanted a pass rusher and with Williams, Beasley and Dupree still on the board, they knew they were going to land 1 of those 3.

Sounds like the Giants were definitely going to take him at #9. So how could we have traded down and still picked Scherff?

Like I said, Scherff really fills two needs in that he can play multiple positions. It wouldn't surprise me if we were done drafting O-Line. I hope not but a LOT depends on if we can pick up any more picks. The FO took a close look at Louisville's Jamon Brown and he's a big boy as well who projects more at Guard than Tackle and fits the bill at what Callahan seems to want.

I suppose, at this juncture, nothing McL does for the rest of the draft will surprise me. We need depth everywhere, except DE apparently. ;)

I thought they would take Williams but I'm fine with Scherff as well. Most had him going to the Giants at 9 so it wasn't a reach from the 5 spot. Who knows what deals fell apart at the last minute. I'm looking forward to seeing him on the field and not a project. It sounds like the Giants were sold on him...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS9Hq4bdFY0

That highlight video makes me feel tingly all over.

That highlight video makes me feel tingly all over.

Are you sure that wasn't Tyler Polumbus' college highlight film? Yes, I'm messing. ;)

Just thankful he has Ryan Kerrigan going against him in practice. That should help get him NFL ready.

Is he an incredible guard, or is he really a RT?

The majority of draft reports project him as a guard, noting weaknesses in pass blocking.

And if he is a guard, then who will be our RT? Compton or Moses?

Live 2015 NFL Draft Grades - WalterFootball.com

What makes the Scherff pick so nice IMO is that he can play RT, LT, LG or RG. Gruden last night said Scherff will start out at RT. To me, this doesn't necessarily mean the end for Moses because it gives him more time to develop. If Moses start to improve and can play RT, then you slide Scherff over to LG and we're set. If Moses can't develop, then you leave Scherff at RT and look to address the interior of the line.

I saw him playing as a LT and RT as well as both guard positions on the video I posted . I'm really warming up to the pick...He's a nice back up for Trent as well.

With Fowler off the board the chance to grab a three down player that could rush the passer off the edge was gone.

Ray, Beasley may be good rushers but they are undersized and likely to be part-time starters, at least for a year or two.

Some thought Williams was going to be a beast vs the run but only average as a rusher. That may or may not be true but we don't want to take another potential Tyson Jackson who stops the run but gets 2.5 or 3 sacks.

At the end of the day with Scherff we now have two young NFL caliber linemen with Trent Williams.

We need three more 😊

I think he was projected at Guard because he has pass blocking issues as a LT. Since we're not putting him at LT he may be fine. The belief is that he could be VERY good, perhaps GREAT, at Guard but that doesn't mean he won't be a good RT. Is he another Trent Williams? Probably not but at this point we don't need him to be.

Heard on Mike & Mike this morning that Scheffter apparently reported that our draft board went Fowler, Cooper, Scherff.

Anyone have anything on that?

I think JayGruden's comments confirmed that. He said what with the way the first picks unfolded, Scherfff became the best player available on our board (to paraphrase). What McClou said he would do all along, BPA.

We won't really know if we made a good choice until 2-4 years from now.

We won't really know if we made a good choice until 2-4 years from now.

I have no doubt it was a good choice. Time will tell, as usual, if it was the best choice. Then again, I can't predict my way through wet toilet paper so who knows.

Pretty safe to assume we follow our board tonight and tomorrow with what went down. There was a run on OL in the first round. Wouldn't surprise me if the LSU lineman is considered, unless he was completely taken off our board.

For me I hope we can get the Alabama safety Collins, and then later the Alabama tackle. He hasn't been talked about, but I am a believer in taking players off of the best (top 5) college teams. We know every player on those teams can't get all the pub, but the quality is there, and the schedule Alabama plays is top of the class.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.