• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins.com: Trent Murphy Increases Strength During Offseason

I never really saw why everyone bags on this guy. Tough, hard working, smart guy who does what hes told. I mean if you want him to tear a pec to prove how "explosive" he is then well.... nevermind.

Out of all the people who have ragged on him, I don't think a single person has targeted his brain, work ethic or character, in their criticism of him.

It's fine to say 'he lacks athleticism', but there needs to be some acknowledgment that the guy was a rook thrust into action. Players (at least most outside of those rare guys like JJ Watt) do have a learning curve that, despite raw speed, strength, and ability, slows them down. Maybe Murphy will prove out of his depth at the NFL level, but I think it's silly to pronounce him a disappointment after 1 year, particularly when he was being integrated into a defense that was pretty shaky to begin with.

Murphy will team up with Kerrigan and get 10 sacks this year.

Never said they did... It's just that is what I see when I look at him. Plenty of guys that give you less than what he does. Why they drafted him is beyond me but he has value and hopefully can turn a corner this year. Everyone says we're going pass rusher in the draft. I'm thinking guys like Murphy can contribute in ways that will make others shine.

Sorry fan that a second round rookie didn't impress you.

I know his pass rush was lacking but he's a good football player, the book is not written yet and I'm pretty tired of the "he sucks" attitude I hear from a large majority of redskins fans overall. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play better this year with better play from our DL.

He's not an edge rusher but can be effective working inside against the run and in pressuring up the middle.

I would like to see the team try him next to Keenan Robinson.

Perry Riley is as the phrase goes 'just a guy'.

Never said they did... It's just that is what I see when I look at him. Plenty of guys that give you less than what he does. Why they drafted him is beyond me but he has value and hopefully can turn a corner this year. Everyone says we're going pass rusher in the draft. I'm thinking guys like Murphy can contribute in ways that will make others shine.

Sorry fan that a second round rookie didn't impress you.

I know his pass rush was lacking but he's a good football player, the book is not written yet and I'm pretty tired of the "he sucks" attitude I hear from a large majority of redskins fans overall. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play better this year with better play from our DL.

nowhere to go but up!

The Skins are looking at best available, not position. Add to that you simply cannot have too many pass rushers. If Trent Murphy was a Pro Bowler, we'd still be looking the same list of people Scot has rated as worthy of the #5 overall pick. He has made the best available philosophy very clear.

You are right! You keeping pointing that out OM. I don't understand why folks and fans don't get it yet, when its been spelled out for them by McClou himself.

If I'm right, McClou sees three guys as tier 1, a lot of defensive players (Dline, LB and secondary) as being tier 2 group of talent, and offense (RB WR and line) as tier 3 group of talent. If so, he will trade down as much as possible and maximize his tier 2 and 3 guys based on the board.

While this may yield alot of new players with new upside, there still are no guarantees that they will be better than the guys we got long term. But its better to bet on the come, go with the new group and let them achieve their upside. Too many trade downs and we may be replacing veterans with rookies who will end up the same and we come away with a wash for this draft. No matter, I am fully into it and ready for the change in personnel. Must happen.

So McClou can actually do all the right things, acquire the right players, but not get the desired long term results. That's a risk of the business world, and the cost of doing business. Can't criticise the guy until we've gone through a round of new coaches with him to affirm how he has done. Once the foundation is built, we can go target certain players to get us over the hump.

He's not an edge rusher but can be effective working inside against the run and in pressuring up the middle.

I was thinking the same thing BT. Probably not quick enough for that either but would like to see him used somewhere.

I'm not sure Murphy has the raw speed to cover a lot of the TE's in the league today like the ILBs are often asked to do.

Perry Riley is one of the worst coverage linebackers in the NFC.

If the Redskins could use Murphy in packages to move him around based on down and distance I think he could be more effective.

But regardless of where Trent plays the team needs to move on from Riley.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.