• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins.com: Trent Murphy Increases Strength During Offseason

BGO

With starting experience gained during his rookie season, linebacker Trent Murphy used the offseason to beef up his game, coming back visibly bigger.

More...

I know Trent Murphy has split opinion around here about what he is/will be ... but regardless of which side of that argument one might come down on, I'm guessing the notion of his coming in loaded for bear will bring a little smile.

I know Trent Murphy has split opinion around here about what he is/will be ... but regardless of which side of that argument one might come down on, I'm guessing the notion of his coming in loaded for bear will bring a little smile.

I'm a fan. He's already great against the run, and hopefully can become great rushing the QB too. Kerrigan certainly improved. I see no reason to believe that he won't as well.

Dunno about comparisons to a 6'0, 245 lb. former National Guardsman turned bodybuilder turned 5th round NFL special teamer, but ... ;)

Watching and listening to the 6'5", 265 lb. former All American national sack leader talk about spending the offseason living at home, working out like a maniac on both power and explosion, it's not hard to see him through the new prism of a Scot McLovin' character guy. So far all we've seen from this kid is a big guy seriously focused, making all the right moves, and taking his craft very seriously.

Hence the comment about how this little story oughta bring a little smile to just about any Redskins fan.

Murphy is going to prove a lot of Redskins fans wrong over the next couple years.

I follow him on Instagram and he talks to people on there. He reminds me a little of the every day man Cooley was mixed in with a dude who wants to prove himself. His father and brothers are his size if not bigger

Murphy is going to prove a lot of Redskins fans wrong over the next couple years.

hope he does. I saw someone clearly unable to muster much of a pass rush. he knows the Skins are talking Beasty, Ray, Gregory, Fowler....whomever. there's a reason these guys are being looked at and Murphy is part of the explanation. I don't happen to think he has the athleticism.....but it would be nice if the Skins decided he was good enough that we could go elsewhere with the 5th pick.

The Skins are looking at best available, not position. Add to that you simply cannot have too many pass rushers. If Trent Murphy was a Pro Bowler, we'd still be looking the same list of people Scot has rated as worthy of the #5 overall pick. He has made the best available philosophy very clear.

nobody in their right mind is talking Ray after yesterday. All of those guys you mention are projects and Murphy already has a year of experience.

The Skins are looking at best available, not position. Add to that you simply cannot have too many pass rushers. If Trent Murphy was a Pro Bowler, we'd still be looking the same list of people Scot has rated as worthy of the #5 overall pick. He has made the best available philosophy very clear.

I really think you're right - McLovin really is a pure BPA guy. I don't think most believe it, but I think he is. And while we may not see immediate results (BPA at position of need might be more likely to contribute to immediate improvement), when we do rebuild this team we could be very good for a long, long time. It's an exciting thought...

nobody in their right mind is talking Ray after yesterday. All of those guys you mention are projects and Murphy already has a year of experience.

Key words 'right mind' -
but someone will consider themselves clever when they grab him much later than his talent warrants.

Yep. His agent's going ballistic because the kid's costing him money, dropping from potential top 10 down to wherever, but Ray will still get drafted in the first round---MAYBE in the second given the recent injury concern. But he'll get a chance. Randy Moss, Dez Bryant ... a team will grab him and maybe get a bargain, if only for as long as his head stays on straight.

he should be suspended since he is technically trying out for the NFL job. nothing pisses me off more than someone who takes advantage of the dream job that I would have killed for.

Of course, if you had killed for it, you'd probably have dropped to like the fourth round.

Ha! But I'd most likely be on a super bowl team as well so it could drive me back up to a 2nd.

since I have used that argument myself...tough for me to argue the point.

so I won't!

hope murphy makes a large leap this year. what I saw on the field last season in pass rush was way unimpressive.

thursday thru sat is gonna be fun!

I never really saw why everyone bags on this guy. Tough, hard working, smart guy who does what hes told. I mean if you want him to tear a pec to prove how "explosive" he is then well.... nevermind.

I never really saw why everyone bags on this guy. Tough, hard working, smart guy who does what hes told. I mean if you want him to tear a pec to prove how "explosive" he is then well.... nevermind.

I watched him pass rush. a lot. he's not good at it. he was manhandled by the better, more physical LTs in the league, often being knocked off his feet. When he elected to speed rush, I saw him pushed to the outside on countless pass rushes becoming a non-factor. he's definitely not a speed/quickness guy; hence, one angle on why he's working power/strength. hopefully, he has sufficient arm length that he can learn the in-close skills that provide an advantage to pass rushers with good arm-length.

In my mind.....the D needs a dynamic pass rusher to pair with Kerrigan - at this point, IMO, Murphy aint that guy. we'll see how this goes. perhaps new coaching straff/scheme and an off-season to reflect on changes will produce a noticeable up-tick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.