• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 4/27/15: GM Scot McCloughan

I take issue with the whle "McLovin will cure all that ails the franchise in one draft" mantra. I look at it as building a team, not just picking talent. There are still forces that are detrimental to build a strong team at play here. He is going to be battling those forces until he overcomes them and I feel too many people are getting their hopes up just what he's capable of doing with 7 picks, or ten if he get 10. The way these players play is every bit as important as the way they interact with each other or compliment each other. "talent" being the sole building block of our foundation is just flawed thinking IMO. We have had some very talented squads and had squat. We've had some players that meshed well and won squat. We need both and I'm not going to make any judgments about his picks this year until we see how everything shakes out. I'm distancing myself from the I want it now guy that I've been and embracing the sit back and watch guy I wish I could be. We all say we're tired because we've been patient for years but really..... really? Have we? How could we, our owner hasn't?

I can personally take some blame for that out of pure excitement and hope that he can replicate what he did in SF and Seattle. So far it seems like he is well on his way to making that happen. But I am also a homer and can admit most of it is on dreams and prayers for something to root for.

It's draft season ... and our GM is a player. :)

And so glad there is finally at least one player in Ashburn...

:paranoid:

Oops...was that my outside voice?

You either believe McLovin is some kind of talent savant or you don't though, right? So if he says he is a 100% BPA guy, and passes on the conventional wisdom 'can't miss' guy, maybe it's because he's smarter than other talent evaluators and certainly us?

Speak for yourself. :)

I take issue with the whle "McLovin will cure all that ails the franchise in one draft" mantra. I look at it as building a team, not just picking talent. There are still forces that are detrimental to build a strong team at play here. He is going to be battling those forces until he overcomes them and I feel too many people are getting their hopes up just what he's capable of doing with 7 picks, or ten if he get 10. The way these players play is every bit as important as the way they interact with each other or compliment each other. "talent" being the sole building block of our foundation is just flawed thinking IMO. We have had some very talented squads and had squat. We've had some players that meshed well and won squat. We need both and I'm not going to make any judgments about his picks this year until we see how everything shakes out. I'm distancing myself from the I want it now guy that I've been and embracing the sit back and watch guy I wish I could be. We all say we're tired because we've been patient for years but really..... really? Have we? How could we, our owner hasn't?

Oh you and your....logic.

Scot allowed as to how he'd entertain offers to move down if Williams falls to #5, and shortly thereafter, pointed out in no uncertain terms that if and when you get the chance to grab a strong defensive lineman, you do it, because they're hard to find.

It's draft season ... and our GM is a player. :)

Oh Yeah. And did you notice how he held his cards close to the vest? He wouldn't answer the question on where was the position of strength in this draft, for competitive reasons. I like that.....for competitive reasons. He knows where he's going with this and doesn't want to lose his upper hand. The strength of the draft is in the D and he can thus afford to trade down, maximize picks, and still gets players that are of comparable value and talent. He knows the edge rushers are all equal and there are no standouts, but revealing this would leave his competitors less likely to play ball with him to get the max deal.

I think that BPA is long term drafting. I don't think most see this as a one draft fix. Too much needs to be fixed. He's constantly spoken of finding guys with the right character, so I think he's plenty focused on building a team environment through good selections. Obviously the draft will always be hit and miss, but I think most of the excitement is having a guy who will hit more than we are accustomed too.

I think that BPA is long term drafting. I don't think most see this as a one draft fix. Too much needs to be fixed. He's constantly spoken of finding guys with the right character, so I think he's plenty focused on building a team environment through good selections. Obviously the draft will always be hit and miss, but I think most of the excitement is having a guy who will hit more than we are accustomed too.
I agree. There are team dynamics that have to be considered as well. He seems to be a square peg in a square hole kinda guy. I like that. He doesn't seem to me as a guy to take a BPA guy if it alters team chemistry negatively . This is just the feeling I get from him is that there is a much bigger picture with him than Player A is better than player B. Maybe these guys call it being true to their board. His board may not reflect BPA that any of us consider the same or the mock crowd. Ok I feel like I'm beating a rotting corpse.

If good GMs like Beathard here and more recent guys like Ron Wolf are a key, we won't likely recognize many of our picks at first glance.

No doubt Scot has found a OG or S at Northwest Louisiana State that will be a surprise to all of us 😊

If good GMs like Beathard here and more recent guys like Ron Wolf are a key, we won't likely recognize many of our picks at first glance.

No doubt Scot has found a OG or S at Northwest Louisiana State that will be a surprise to all of us [emoji4]

Yep. I alluded to this in a reply to Goal yesterday. We'll tend to judge based on conventional wisdom of who the impact players are in this draft. We tend to do this despite knowing that conventional wisdom is frequently wrong, and that the reason McLovin was brought in was his ability to find the talent that ESPN experts and the Mel Kiper's don't have the skills and experience to identify.

Mel Kiper admittedly eats pumpkin pie for breakfast, every morning.

How in the hell can you trust a guy's judgement in player evaluation with dietary decision making such as that?

Scotty sounds like a man that has a plan and knows what he wants. There's a guy that I bet has bacon,eggs and black coffee for breakfast! :p

No doubt Scot has found a OG or S at Northwest Louisiana State that will be a surprise to all of us ��
Long as we get more Charles Mann's than Tory Nixon's.

I'm hoping he does better than Beathard. Take away the 81 draft and Bobby was just slightly above average.

Two or three drafts, he was Vinny-like.

Getting a bit specific, one thing Scot said that kinda jumped out at me-and is to me an encouraging sign is this:

We need to add like we did in San Fran, like we did in Seattle – add just quality football players that come in and understand it’s not about the individuals in some of the parts on both sides of the ball and special teams. I think it’s very important as we draft later on through this draft that special teams comes into play big time – covering kicks and punts, or returning kicks and punts. It’s throughout the game and it’s very important

This emphasis on special teams ability in the light of the fact that it is a particular area of underachievement for the Redskins is to me a welcome criteria coming from our new "let's get us some good football players" guy.

Proves to whom, Fear?

I'm guessing our GM's definition of BPA differs from yours.

If the rumors are true that Williams has labrum/shoulder injuries, isn't it a good thing we passed on him?

Haven't we been through enough of that crap with Orakpo?

Availability is an important trait to have also.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.