• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Surefire Method To Making The Best Pick In Round 1

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
We're now less than a week away from the 2015 draft. It's almost go-time.

So who do we pick?

One of the QBs? One of 4 or 5 edge players? An OL? It's not an easy task for the GMs around the league.

Fortunately, history has shown us that there is one very easy and incredibly successful method to making sure we get the next HOF player--and avoid huge busts in the process.

That's the Name Method.

What's the Name Method you ask? That's where you can simply look at the name of the player, and can then project their NFL future in less than 3 seconds, and with 99.9999% accuracy.

There's really no need for film or interviews. Instead, spend that time at the beach or by your outdoor grill enjoying your favorite meal.

It's how we knew instantly last season that a guy named Courtney Bridget (props to Mike for finding one Courtney that had success) had about as much of a chance as Richard Simmons of ever making a roster in the NFL. Sorry Courtney. And sorry to Courtney's parents. Had they just made one simple phone call to me when he was a freshman in high school, I could have saved them a lot of worthless practice time, tons of money and years of frustration.

So which player is the surefire HOF player? It shouldn't take us more than 30 seconds to find out. Here we go.

1. Jameis Winston. Jameis might be the only person in the world with this name. Very unorthodox.

Likely, it was a combination of James and Chris. Both of those names have had success in the league before. Combine the two together, and you may have something wonderful.

Final Grade: Incomplete. It's a wildcard. Although the combination of two strong names may mean All-Pro success, there's just no previous research to go on with a name like Jameis.

What does it mean that when I think of Shane Ray, I think of Shane Falco? Can't be a good sign, right?

2. Marcus Mariota. Marcus. Hmmm. Not exactly a name that strikes fear into your heart. Yes, I'm aware of Marcus Allen. But like Mariota, he was kind of a finesse player.

Opening an Italian restaurant with wonderful pasta and sauces? Then give me Marcus Mariota.

But to be a QB in the NFL?

Final Grade: No thanks. Pass (me the cannoli, please).

3. Dante Fowler. Dante? Say it with me. Dante?

Is this figure skating? Are we painting something?

Final Grade: Enormous bust. If they were only all this easy.

What does it mean that when I think of Shane Ray, I think of Shane Falco? Can't be a good sign, right?

"Shane" from the Walking Dead (also a Redskins fan, but ended up a zombie) and "Ray" Rice... pass, no thanks.

4. Leonard Williams. Do you want to tackle someone named Leonard? Yeah, I don't either.

What if Leonard sat on top of you? Do you think you'd enjoy that?

Would you like to walk into a bathroom seconds after a guy named Leonard just exited?

Final Grade: Immediate NFL starter. Possible anchor. HOF potential.

5. Amari Cooper. Wow. Amari is strong. Cooper is also strong.

Amari Cooper almost has a Michael Jordan type of feel to it.

You'll be buying his shoes. Either for yourself, or for your kids. Immediate Pro-Bowl player.

Final Grade: Mr Cooper, would you mind signing this picture please?

6. Danny Shelton. Danny White? Dan Wilkerson?

Danny Partridge?

Final Grade: Bust. Not so happy.

7. Vic Beasley. Beasley rhymes with Beastly.

Final Grade: Preventative aspirin. As in "give me some preventative aspirin before I have to play against Vic Beasley."

8. Randy Gregory. Are we talking about prep school, or are we talking about football? Is he a lawyer?

Final Grade: Pardon me, but do you have any grey poupon? Bust.

Boy, you crazy.

9. Shane Ray. Shane? Has there ever been a successful NFL player named Shane before?

Is he a kicker?

Final Grade: Is he a kicker?

10. Trae Waynes. Lil Wayne? Trae?

I wouldn't touch him as a football player, but that's a huge rap name if I've ever seen one. I see a superstar in the making.

Final Grade: Two mediocre seasons, and then it's "DJ, kick it!" time.

In conclusion, you now have your quick, 99.99% accurate guide to success for the 2015 draft.

Leonard Williams and Amari Cooper will be stars. Hello Canton!

Honorable mention to Vic Beasley.

Please feel free to share any other contributions you may have.

Be honest, though.
Would you have drafted a guy named Larry Fitzgerald ?

Concerned he might be a Larry Mondello ?

iu

Last edited:
Marcus Allen was finesse? He converted to fullback and blew holes open for Bo Jackson.

This is a funny piece though. We drafted a dude named Rambo and he didn't live up to the American dream!

Larry Fitzgerald is a tough one, isn't it?

On one hand, you have Larry:

Larry Csonka
Larry Allen
Larry Centers

Larrys can usually play football. They can also chug a full beer, and then crush the can over their heads. When a Larry comes over to work on your fridge, be prepared to see some crack when he bends down. They can play in the NFL.

On the other hand, Fitzgerald reminds me of bagpipes and kilts.

It's a puzzling combination. Too tough to call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.