• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Please Cut Marcus Mason Thread

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
Mason to me is a wasted roster spot. He clearly lacks the speed and quickness to run the ball from scrimmage in the NFL and he doesn't play ST worth a damn.

Now that Ganther is getting a start and we are seeing what he and Rock have to deliver over the last 4 weeks, why not cut Mason and go out and find another young back we can bring in to audition for 2010?

It's a long shot but Ryan Grant was picked off the Giants practice squad by Green Bay in 2007.

What we do know is that Mason won't be back in 2010, in fact I would venture a guess that he won't be in the NFL in 2010 period.

Who will fail on 3rd and goal stretch plays if we cut Mason?

Im just curious what the reason for cutting a capable back would be when we dont even know if Ganther will be the answer.

What on god's green earth has Mason done to be called a "capable back" in the NFL?

he is capable of running.

he is capable of playing.

LOL...I am capable of running. Maybe I should give thedanny a call? ;)

i didnt say he was elite but he is as capable as Ganther is.

The stats tell a different story:
Ganther: 19 carries, 88 yards, 4.6 ypc
Mason: 12 carries, 33 yards, 2.8 ypc

Uh, let's see. These are current rushing stats for the Skins from nfl.com for this season.

Jason Campbell-34 carries averaging 4.7 yards/carry

Quinton Ganther-19 carries averaging 4.6 yards/carry

Clinton Portis-124 carries averaging 4.0 yards/carry

Ladell Betts-56 carries averaging 3.8 yards/carry

Rock Cartwright-58 carries averaging 3.7 yards/carry

Marcus Mason-12 carries averaging 2.8 yards/carry

so Campbell should be our starting RB then?

I mean, numbers are the be all end all, right?

Simply a relative comparison-don't leap to extreme conclusions, Mike. All the numbers are saying is that players like Quinton and Rock seem to do better than Mason and if any ball carrier could be considered expendable it would be the one with the lowest numbers.

Campbell simply has used his physical gifts to his advantage when forced out of the pocket and picks up a decent amount of yardage when doing so which is why his numbers are what they are.

This has been the opportunity that Mason has been looking for all these years and frankly he hasn’t exactly seized it like Ganther has.

I would keep him for the remainder of the year to give Ganther and Rock a breather simply because he knows the playbook. That will tell us definitely whether he should even be brought back to camp in 2010.

Ok,
who do we bring in and do they know the playbook/ and can be used at all this year?

Throw some names out there. If we can use them great......but I would think the Skins would require any RB at this point to be ready to play with this comittee system.

I also expect Mason to be on the 80 man roster next season unless the new GM and coach (fingers crossed) want to go in a different direction.

so Campbell should be our starting RB then?

I mean, numbers are the be all end all, right?

I'd rather him run it on the goal line then call another goddamned stretch.

After the season. Lord knows we've been hit with injuries this year, and if Ganther goes down that doesn't leave us with much

"if Ganther went down we wouldn't have much" if Mason was cut.

hate to tell ya, but WITH Mason we don't have much behind Ganther either.

he is a warm body, that's about all.

he knows the system but can't execute the plays. great player to have at our disposal :laugh:

I wish they had the hand clapping emote on here. This post deserves that!!!

Will this one work, Mike?
clap2.gif
Just copy the image address and insert it as an image-comes from that Packer fan board-they've got a bunch of good ones.

I'd cut Mason right now and bring up Anthony Alridge from the practice squad.

Like, right now.

Way more potential and huge change of pace from Ganther and Cartwright.

he knows the system but can't execute the plays. great player to have at our disposal :laugh:

Oh I know. Unfortunately, danny/vinny haven't drafted a running back or O-Line in years. Years.

So I guess in this case a warm body would be better than making Fred Davis or somebody play RB in a drastic emergency situation

Maese is on this today

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/09/AR2009120904287.html

In recent years, no other team in the NFL has addressed its running back position in quite the same manner the Redskins have. Since the Redskins selected Ladell Betts in the second round of the 2002 draft, 148 running backs -- excluding fullbacks -- have been drafted into the league. Every team has selected at least two running backs in that period, and the average team has taken nearly five. Every single team has drafted at least one running back since 2007 -- except for the Redskins, who've drafted none since 2002.

This.

Keep him on the practice squad? Maybe.

Bring up Aldridge. Gives us 3 gameday backs. Plenty if no more injuries happen. and, if we lost all 3 during a game, Sellers could finish the game. Or, go 5 wide and play Madden for the rst of the day. be great practice for the Oline, knowing they'll be coming with everything but the kitchen sink, on every play.

Mason, like BT said, is a wasted roster spot.

I want to see the team add a younger back from another team's practice squad and see if we can find another contributor heading into 2010. I know it is a long-shot but at the same time I don't see Mason on this team next year so where is the risk?

Mason doesn't run well from scrimmage, he doesn't block well in protection and he doesn't play special teams.

There's GOT to be someone else out there with more upside than Mason.

Mason is a body.

I dont think a "capable" back would have been sitting at home waiting on a call after he was cut here. No one even picked him up for their practice squad this time around.

The Skins seem to be the only team that is willing to waste a spot.

He's on the team right now because he knows the offense and he's hungry. No other reason. I'd almost be willing to bet he doesn't even get a Training Camp invite next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.