• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Most Damning Evidence Against Jason Campbell

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date
Yeah Walking Deadmand put it best, I would rather have Jason Campbell and Russel Okung than Jimmy Claussen and Levi Jones.

And I'll stand by that.
Jason is still inconsistent, that is the fact. I'm not convinced he'll ever be that elite "franchise" QB.

But I'm not convinced Clausen will be either. Clausen had a similar performance to that of Campbell vs. Navy (if not better) and they still lost......to Navy (go midshipmen!!!!!).

I don't know that much about Locker and I have to start doing my research on McCoy and Bradford as well.

But I still think the Skins need a O-line to protect him and I'd argue we don't have a single starter on the O-line for 2010 on the roster as of right now.
So why draft a QB when you need 4-5 starting caliber O linemen?

and thats why were on opposite sides of the fence and you saying "come on mike" holds no weight. you think he is just a screw up that is going to choke regardless and i think he is a fully capable QB who doesnt have the same weapons as others.

Mike, the proof is in the pudding. He has been consistently choking throughout his career. He has shown over the past few weeks he can put up some numbers and has shown progress, but he still comes up with a loss. All three times he had the opportunity to win it and couldn't come through in the clutch.

That is my point. Clutch!

kind of like going off the deep end and having a suicide watch put on you? oh wait, thats choking too!! or wait..how about when he came back last year and beat out collins for the starting job back...oh wait, thats choking too!!

you keep saying clutch but the ONLY thing it fits with here is if they both drive sticks...

Mike, get your facts straight! From day one, after taking over for Gibbs, Zorn stated that Jason Campbell was the starter so he did not "win" his job back! The coach gave it back to him without any effort on his part.

Look, if Jason Campbell is so clutch then answer me this, why hasn't he put together a game winning drive with little time left on the clock when he has been given 9 chances this year? And don't tell me it is because of his line or any other BS excuse.

In every game this year he has driven the team down the field for at least some points throughout the game, but when the game is on the line or even a 2 minute drill at halftime comes around he takes sacks, or runs the ball for a 3 yard gain instead of throwing it away or wastes a time-out instead of calling an audible when the D shows something that makes him uncomfortable.

I can't believe I am still having this discussion with you. Mike, he has shown some progress! I will concede this. In fact I know this to be true, but why can't you just admit that Jason Campbell is not good when it comes down to a 2 minute drill? He is not good at driving this team down the field when the clock is showing 2 minutes or less! Hasn't the past 3 years shown you that?

That is what makes the great ones great! He can't seem to do it!

I agree with the preference of Campbell and Okung than Clausen and Jones. However we all know deep down that isn't going to happen, and we'll have a brand new rookie QB come 2010. :(
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

and thats why were on opposite sides of the fence and you saying "come on mike" holds no weight. you think he is just a screw up that is going to choke regardless and i think he is a fully capable QB who doesnt have the same weapons as others.

If his argument holds no weight, then yours is floating away. We have statistical and empirical evidence supporting our claim...you don't. :)

the quality Campbell lacks is the one he can't do anything about:

he simply isn't a fluid passer, he's not a natural quarterback where the game comes as slow and clear to him as it does to Manning and Brady.

Campbell works hard, he plays hard, he's durable, and no one has questioned his IQ.

It's just a lack of that 'genius' spark so to speak.

Campbell was drafted #25 in 2005. Aaron Rodgers was drafted #24 in 2005.

Campbell began playing in the NFL in 2006 and was the regular starter in both 2007 and 2008 as well as 2009 to start those campaigns.

Rodgers sat on the bench behind Brett Favre until 2008 and then took to the field and with limited starting experience became a solid NFL starter.

Now he is coming up to the next level, below elite status.

Meanwhile, Campbell is right now not that much further along than he was last year when he threw for 300 yards against the Lions and there were whispers he was finally catching on to the NFL game.

Throw in the Saints game.

Look at what Campbell and Rodgers have done in the same period of time and then come back and tell me that Campbell should be resigned to a long-term deal :)

I see your point BD but it is apples and oranges here.

Rogers was drafted by a stable organization with a HoF QB in front of him. In his 5 years in the league he has had one Head Coach and the same offensive system to play in the whole time. He sat for 3 years, except for mop up duty and one or two games where Favre left injured (Dallas game is the only one I remember but there might have been more).

Campbell was drafted by Gibbs and worked his first year under Gibbs offense. Then we brought in Sanders to run it so there was a change again. Two years later, Gibbs and Sanders were both out and a WCO guy was brought in to install a new offense that literally no one on the offense had been picked up to run, including Campbell.

Not a fair comparison at all.

Regardless of Campbell's progression or regression at this point what we need is to shore up the offensive line. Like someone (WD I think) suggested in another thread, I would rather have Jason Campbell and Russel Okung than Jimmy Claussen or Colt McCoy and Levi Jones.

Point!

I agree and disagree...Favre's throw was in the only place it *could* have been for Lewis to catch it. Anywhere else and its probably knocked down or intercepted. Yes Lewis made a phenomenal play, but Favre not only scrambled around to get free, he put it in the only place it could have been for Lewis to catch it.

As far as bailing out Campbell - you are correct. I mean, just look at Suisham. However, as many times as he hasn't been "bailed out" by his teammates, Campbell has missed wide-open receivers, thrown picks, or fumbled. So I think its a wash.

It also goes back to my other point - great QBs make everyone else better. I mean, Greg Lewis was mediocre in Philly for years, and then he makes that spectacular catch? Who knew he had that in him? Definitely not me.

Sure, Favre's throw was the only place it could be. I never questioned that. Still doesn't make it a great throw for the receiver to catch and having Favre throw it does not magically make Lewis go up to pull down that circus catch while performing ballet on the end line. The QB was irrelevant to the catch itself.

How many perfect balls that would have been scores have we seen dropped in the last two years? Earlier in this thread someone bet on Campbell for not having a TD against the Rams. What about the two balls he threw to Thomas and Sellers that were just flat dropped? Both would have been an easy 7. No one remembers those cause they don't show up in the receivers stats but they should. How about the perfect bomb to Moss two years ago in GB game that 'Tana just flat dropped?

Come on Mike, Lanky addressed this. JC has had 9 chances this season for late game winning drives and 3 of them came against 3 of the worst defenses in the NFL, yet he has come up short in every one of them!

Hmmmm...I bite and go do the research.

Back when I am done.

Was the loss against the Saints Jason Campbell's fault, yes and no. We had a large enough lead to win that game. Suisham let us down and the defense let us down after the FG was missed. But clutch QB's in this league take advantage fo the 1:28 left in a game to drive their teams down the field to give that kicker a chance at redemption. Instead JC threw a stupid INT. That is what non-clutch QB's do.

Would you call Favre a "clutch" QB? I would. How about the pick 6 he threw to the NY Giants in Overtime of the NFC Championship game a couple years ago? Not so clutch.

How about Payton Manning? I'd call him clutch. AFC Divisional playoff game at home against the Chargers he needs 4 points to win 4:50 to go. On two drives he fails to convert on 4th down to extend drives. The first time it was 4th and Goal from the San Diego 7 and he had 4 chances from inside the 9 to convert. Not so Clutch.

Tom Brady? Hey, all he did was throw high on 4th and 2 so that his receiver had to juggle the ball a bit before getting control and allowing the Colts defender to make a great play but still not so clutch.

I think we all see the point. I don't care how good the QB is, how "clutch", sometimes they don't get it done. And when they do get it done, it is often because some guy like Greg Lewis or Dwight Clark steps up and does something amazing that few thought they could do.

I have not seen a lot amazing late in games from any of Campbell's team mates.

Last edited:
Man what an interesting thread this has turned out to be-60 posts-back and forth. I'm having fun just watching the free-for-all!
42kmoig.gif

Man what an interesting thread this has turned out to be-60 posts-back and forth. I'm having fun just watching the free-for-all!
42kmoig.gif

And it was fun to participate. I love talking Redskins football!

Neo, it was too much text to quote so I will simply make this claim. Yes, Manning, Favre, and Brady all make mistakes, especially Favre because he takes chances. None are perfect, but they also have more than 2 game winning drives in their careers. Being lazy, I will simply say I will wager that they all have 2 this year.

Let me put it to you this way, with the game on the line who would you want under center? Let's broaden it a lil', who's your top ten? I'll even go so far as to put it this way, in the history of the NFL who is your top 100?

I can tell you that of all three lists I suggest, Jason Campbell does not make any of them in my book.

Edit: Neo, I went, back looked at our losses and to be fair Campbell only had the opportunity to win 5 of the 9 losses we have this season. But I will not give him a pass for the Chiefs game because of his putrid 1st half 2 minute drill. His mistakes on that drive cost us the opportunity at a field goal even though he got us close. Thanks for forcing my hand and demanding I do some work before making blanket claims.

Last edited:
I feel like I should also point out that by all reports, Zorn still calls the plays inside of 2 minutes in both halves...

Fellas, with the news today that Portis may be considering retirement and thus force us to look for another RB, and with the O-Line in the shape that it's in, whether you're a fan of JC or not, he may be the least of our concerns

WOW!! a game winning drive against a horrible defense? /sarcasm

You can call the AZ defense a lot of things, but horrible is not one of them. That D is filled with young talent and playmakers. And you say their defense is ranked 24th overall in yards? Well they are 12th overall in points allowed (the stat that really matters).

You can't honestly say he hasn't improved. I used to blast the heck out of him on ES, but you have to give credit where it's due. He HAS gotten better. To the point where I wouldn't mind keeping him an extra year if we have to. And the loss against the Saints was in NO way Jasons fault. That was our old (thank God) kicker's fault 150%.

Was the loss against the Saints Jason Campbell's fault, yes and no. We had a large enough lead to win that game. Suisham let us down and the defense let us down after the FG was missed. But clutch QB's in this league take advantage fo the 1:28 left in a game to drive their teams down the field to give that kicker a chance at redemption. Instead JC threw a stupid INT. That is what non-clutch QB's do.

And this is the rub. Kickers miss kicks...they are kickers. Campbell had a chance to make it all not matter, and he threw a ridiculously bad INT. It wasn't like the defender made an amazing play, it was simply a horrible throw.

The QB was irrelevant to the catch itself.

How many QBs can actually make that throw? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this chicken and egg argument. But I think if Tavaris Jackson had been the QB in that situation, Minnesota loses the game.

How many perfect balls that would have been scores have we seen dropped in the last two years? Earlier in this thread someone bet on Campbell for not having a TD against the Rams. What about the two balls he threw to Thomas and Sellers that were just flat dropped? Both would have been an easy 7. No one remembers those cause they don't show up in the receivers stats but they should. How about the perfect bomb to Moss two years ago in GB game that 'Tana just flat dropped?

Yeah...good point. JC has had some TD passes dropped, and you can't pin that on him. But if you're going to make that argument...is Sherm Lewis making people catch better? I dunno...it kind of shoots holes in the Zorn's playcalling was holding JC back theory.

Would you call Favre a "clutch" QB? I would. How about the pick 6 he threw to the NY Giants in Overtime of the NFC Championship game a couple years ago? Not so clutch.

How about Payton Manning? I'd call him clutch. AFC Divisional playoff game at home against the Chargers he needs 4 points to win 4:50 to go. On two drives he fails to convert on 4th down to extend drives. The first time it was 4th and Goal from the San Diego 7 and he had 4 chances from inside the 9 to convert. Not so Clutch.

Tom Brady? Hey, all he did was throw high on 4th and 2 so that his receiver had to juggle the ball a bit before getting control and allowing the Colts defender to make a great play but still not so clutch.

I think we all see the point. I don't care how good the QB is, how "clutch", sometimes they don't get it done. And when they do get it done, it is often because some guy like Greg Lewis or Dwight Clark steps up and does something amazing that few thought they could do.

Yeah but generally Manning, Brady and Favre get it done. Unfortunately for Campbell, "sometimes" is more like "usually" when it comes to not getting it done.

auburnskinsfan said:
BTW, hi everyone, first day here, first post here. From ES and thought I'd try something new. I'm under a totally different username. Can u tell who I am?:cool4:

Welcome!! Its pretty great over here...I haven't been to the "other site" (other than to browse) in quite awhile. :)

Since 2006 Campbell has rarely if ever followed up a game like the one he had against the Saints with another the next week.

It will be interesting to see if Jason comes out against the Raiders and legitimizes his performance or whether the Redskins are back to being the dysfunctional offense that fails to convert third downs and sustain drives and ends up scoring 10-17 points in a close loss to another sub .500 team.

do you think the critics will accept his great performance against the Raiders or will it be "oh it was just the Raiders"?

Well, it *IS* "just the Raiders." However they have one of the best CBs in the game (I believe, unless he's injured?) in Asomoasdaasaljhaklsdf, so if Campbell comes out and has an excellent game with half a field, I think critics will take notice. I'm not holding my breath though.

EDIT: My prediction is that Asomguaha (sp?) will have a couple picks, and take one to the house. Just a hunch.

Sadly, this will be the first game I've had to miss in over 7 years. I will have to download it to see how we played.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oakland beat Philly and Pitt, no shame in beating them.

Any team can win any week, except maybe the Browns.

If Campbell has a 250 yard game with 2-3 TDs and 0 picks than I think that merits further discussion of where he is going in terms of development.

Around here nobody is going to criticize a win that much :)

PS - Durability is something we can consider as well when comparing Young to JC.

Outside of dislocating his knee cap he is a tuff SOB

Young left practice today after reinjuring his knee.

Mike, I think you did this on purpose! We all know Young is a better QB! :psych:

Hey, I am calling it. I think the Skins are playing well enough to go beat the daylights out of the Raiders. Campbell could/should have a good game like he did against the Saints.

But if there is under 2 minutes left in the game, the Redskins have the ball, and need to drive down the field to win or tie the game, I will not feel comfortable about our chances if Campbell is behind center.

You're going to bed your 60" TV?

For God's sake man - get out of the house and meet a real woman. That being said, you must have a hell of a cable package...

LOL!! I suggest unplugging first. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.