• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Re-Sign Kai Forbath

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
April 16, 2015

REDSKINS RE-SIGN K KAI FORBATH

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have re-signed kicker Kai Forbath. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Forbath (5-11, 197) is entering his fourth season with the Redskins after joining the team as a free agent in 2012. In 40 career regular season games, Forbath has converted 59-of-67 field goal attempts (88.1 percent) and 90-of-92 PATs (97.8 percent).

Last season, Forbath made 24-of-27 field goal attempts (88.9 percent), the third-highest percentage by a Redskins kicker in a single season, trailing only Mark Moseley (95.2 percent in 1982) and Forbath’s debut season in 2012 (94.4). He scored a team-high 103 points in 2014 and earned NFC Special Teams Player of the Week honors for his performance in a Week 8 overtime win at Dallas.

Forbath played collegiately at UCLA, where he was a 2009 consensus All-American and won the 2009 Lou Groza Award, given to the top place kicker in college football. He finished his collegiate career as the NCAA record holder for most career games with two or more field goals made (31) and tied for the record of most career games of at least three field goals made (13).

Forbath, 27, was born on Sept. 2, 1987, and attended Notre Dame H.S. in Sherman Oaks, Calif.

Can someone explain to me why the team has not tried Tress Way on kickoffs?

If he can do it, it gives us the better field position we want but maintains Forbath's very good record with clutch kicks.

Jeff Hayes used to kick off for Mark Moseley. Steve Cox used to kickoff for a series of kickers from 1985-88.

I would imagine they told Way to work on it this off season. And they will see what he can do during OTA's and training camp. He was inconsistent, if memory serves me.

Bet you a pint they have tried him, BD.

:pint:

He's way too valuable.
Tress Way was literally our most productive (and most consistent) player last year, and therefore our 2014 MVP.
And the last person you want making dangerous tackles on kickoffs, is your MVP.
Too great a risk

Good. Cobra Kai has been one of the few consistent players we've had in 2 seasons. This was a good re-signing.

Too great a risk

Only a Redskins fan would list as a reason not to let a guy do kickoffs concern he'll get hurt having to tackle returners :)

If he can do it, it gives us the better field position we want but maintains Forbath's very good record with clutch kicks.

Jeff Hayes used to kick off for Mark Moseley. Steve Cox used to kickoff for a series of kickers from 1985-88.

I'm certainly no expert. But I have read that teams try not to do that these days because of a belief that the two motions are different, and that it may hurt the punting motion.

Kind of like how you don't want your QB also being a baseball pitcher. In that case, the baseball throwing motion can elongate the windup of the QB. Like Jameis in his second year.

If Tom Brady's first "pitch" the other night was any indication, a HOF football arm does not necessarily translate to the mound. :paranoid:

Right, I agree. But what I don't want to see is Forbath get run out of town while the team finds a kicker who can hit touch backs, only to have that guy not produce the 44 yard game winning FG during the regular season.

Remember for a lot of years we were crying about not having a kicker who could perform under pressure here.

Let's not forget those clutch kicks are worth their weight in gold.

As poorly as we've generally kicked off in recent years, to me the bulk of the blame for the crappy field position we too often give up has been more about truly awful lane discipline and tackling. I know the cap penalty crippled our ability to field depth, so it makes sense that it would show up on specialty units ... so let's hope that with 1) no longer having one hand tied behind our back, and 2) hiring a real general manager, we'll start to resemble an NFL team again covering kicks.

Forbath is way underrated as others have hinted at. And honestly, touchbacks are overrated. Everyone looks at a touchback as the ideal - and yeah, I get it, you can't return a kickoff for a TD or have the opponent reel off a long return if it's a touchback. But there ARE good things that can happen on a return. Stopping them at the 10 or 15 yard line, forcing a fumble...those are positives that can happen IF you have a disciplined, physical, dangerous coverage team. You have that, suddenly the automatic touchbacks don't seem as solid gold as they do when your ST coverage units suck.

He's way too valuable.
Tress Way was literally our most productive (and most consistent) player last year, and therefore our 2014 MVP.
Too great a risk

Only a Redskins fan would list as a reason not to let a guy do kickoffs concern he'll get hurt having to tackle returners :)

Not sure if you saw the satire in me posting about the punter being the MVP

Ray Guy doesn't find that funny ;-)

Forbath is way underrated as others have hinted at. And honestly, touchbacks are overrated. Everyone looks at a touchback as the ideal - and yeah, I get it, you can't return a kickoff for a TD or have the opponent reel off a long return if it's a touchback. But there ARE good things that can happen on a return. Stopping them at the 10 or 15 yard line, forcing a fumble...those are positives that can happen IF you have a disciplined, physical, dangerous coverage team. You have that, suddenly the automatic touchbacks don't seem as solid gold as they do when your ST coverage units suck.

Yeah, & actually, you feel a little disappointed when there actually is a touchback.

What is ironic is that both George Allen and Joe Gibbs special teams aimed to get the kicks to the goal line but not out of the end zone as the expectation was that the coverage teams would hit and tackle returners in advance of the 20 yard line and put immediate pressure on the offense.

We could also use a kick/punt returner that is worth a damn.

When did Brian Mitchell leave? 2000?

It's been that long.

That 100 yard return he had in the Tampa playoff game.

Rock didn't take any back? I can recall him getting a few

Yes, there have been other returns - Jacquez Green on MNF against the Packers, etc.

But they were not expected.

With Brian Mitchell, you expected him to take one or two back each season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.