• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

BR--Cian Fahey: Marcus Mariota Is This Year's Underrated QB

This is an excellent view into what Mariotta is capable of. I read the whole thing and didn't just watch the GIFs and came away impressed. He does a nice job with his progressions and has great pocket awareness, something Griffin lacks. He's starting to grow on me. I'm not so opposed to taking him at #5 anymore although I still think we'd trade down.

Nice find, McD5!

I thought people here might enjoy that.

The writer/analyst of that article is almost as interesting as the prospect himself.

Hard not to be impressed with that. Seems to have good pocket awareness and can slide. Hard to really know from a bunch of plays selected to highlight his effectiveness, but if McC decides he's worth the pick, I'll jump on board.

Yeah, I had been against taking him, but I'm on board 100% if that's the decision Scot makes. He's impressive.

"College? We're talking about college. Not the pros, but college. Right? College."

Of course I'm on board if he dons the uniform. But if does, he'll be just another rookie QB. More destined to fail, than not.

I'd rather ride the Bob-Kirk-Colt train to the end of the line.

"College? We're talking about college. Not the pros, but college. Right? College."

Of course I'm on board if he dons the uniform. But if does, he'll be just another rookie QB. More destined to fail, than not.

I don't think both are mutually exclusive. I not particularly fond of starting rookie QB's. He could ride the bench a season while that mess plays out. Either someone steps up, making a trade possible, or we have a prospect in the wings to start once we have a little solidity on the line. Or both. ;)

Man, your definition of the 'end of the line' must look really ugly :)

Joking aside...yeah, all Heisman trophy winners look pretty damn good. Playing against college players will do that.

NFL teams get into a QB frenzy during the draft. When you see guys like Ponder go at #12 when he was thought to be a second rounder or Tim Tebow go #23 based on charisma, it is hard to see Mariota falling to #5 with it being such a thin qb class overall.

Just say no to Mariotta, he has the same issues Griffin and every other option QB has had coming out of college i.e. a need to learn how to play in the pro set and not rely on their legs when pressure comes. The in depth analysis I saw of him during the NC run was that he had issues with pressure and making a play when forced to play from the pocket. When teams contained him his play fell off significantly.

Man, your definition of the 'end of the line' must look really ugly :)
Oh contraire! My "end of the line" has me ruler of the universe. The BobKirColt 'end of the line' has one of the three nailing down the job. Or, all three coming up short, while the players around them, the line, TE's, RB's all improve at blocking, along with an improved team overall, making it easier for the next QB to succeed. Whether he's a free agent vet, a second year later round guy we draft this year, or the flavor of the month in next years draft. This season will provide a definitive answer about the guys we have, and whether or not we'll be in pursuit of another, next year. I see it as all good.

Joking aside...yeah, all Heisman trophy winners look pretty damn good. Playing against college players will do that.
Exactly. I think for most college players, not just the HTW's, finding out you don't have your Super powers anymore, while getting your ass kicked by some redneck trucker in a diner, is a tough pill to swallow. I think that's why so many fail.

I've watched MM a bunch. He is great at hitting wide open receivers in stride. I rarely saw him throw a receiver open or throw into tight windows. He does seem to recognize the open receiver quickly though, something Griffin hasn't excelled at.

Articles like this always crack me up. How can Mariota be underrated when some expect him to be picked second in the draft? The only way he is underrated is if he actually better than Winston. I just don't see it. Pretty hard to be underrated at #2.

Agreed. If someone comes out and lays a case that Garrett Grayson is going to be better than Winston or Mariotta, THAT would be a statement of a quarterback being underrated heading into the draft.

Choice 1: RG3. We already know that's a dead end, simply due to his injury history. We can't possibly sign him to a 5 year contract at $18 million a year, only to see him be done a year or two from now. That would set us back another 4 years. In the words of Riddick, "who are we trying to kid?" I suppose a series of 1 or 2 year contracts might be possible, but he'll balk at that--wanting financial stability for the future.

Choice 2: Colt. As a 5 year franchise QB? Next.

Choice 3: Cousins. This is the only chance we have with a QB currently on the roster.

So it really comes down to Mariota or another QB in the draft vs. Cousins, in terms of looking ahead 3 years from now.

McLovin also has to weigh out the QBs coming out next year. Are any better than Mariota? And even if so, what would we have to give in order to move up and draft that QB? 2 firsts? Maybe much more?

I don't believe he'll even have the opportunity to draft him. But I assume he's taking a vey serious look at Cousins, Mariota and Grayson right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.